The major styles of psytrance

Basilisk

Maybe you can call it general psytrance :P

but I indeed see the problem, and would say its not only 99-03 that fits this "category", there is still produced a lot that fits some general term, but what term??! :o

ED: I like the preliminary set-up :)

IMO

Goa-This includes all styles of Goa (Old School, New School, Nitzho etc.)

Full On-This includes all styles of Full On (Poppy, Israeli, SA, Dark, Hard etc.)

Progressive-This includes Tectrance too since IMO most of them sound Proggy in my ears. Also minimal, trancey, housey psy etc.

Darkpsy-This includes Forest, Russian style, Psycore, Horror etc.

Experimental-Suomi, Australian, genres fusion, weird stuff

Ambient/Downtempo-From beatless ambient to Shpongle

and just plain Psytrance-For everything else, like MEEO for example or the old IM.

That's very similar to how I've organized my collection. However, I view it as a tree. I assign a release to the most specific category that's appropriate. If there's no appropriate category it winds up in the root category which is psytrance. Some examples:

Astral Projection - Dancing Galaxy : Psytrance - Goa

Furious - Uncanny Beats : Psytrance - Dark

Voice Of Cod - We Are Free : Psytrance - Fullon

Digicult - Out Of This World : Psytrance - Fullon - Morning (only very fluffy stuff gets categorized this specifically)

M.E.E.O. - Highlight Me Please : Psytrance

Shpongle - Are You Shpongled : Chill - Psy (note that I split "psy dub" out and group it with chill)

This approach is far from perfect but it does support easy "hooking" of the tracks you want into smart playlists in iTunes, which is really what I'm after. I'd prefer to use tagging rather than categories but iTunes doesn't support that. There are a number of releases - especially from the 98-01 period - which are sort of goa-flavored but not really goa. Most of those wind up in my "psytrance" bucket but it would be better to be able to tag them with both "goa" and "psytrance." If I were setting up a website I'd go with tags instead of categories.

That's very similar to how I've organized my collection. However, I view it as a tree.

The tree idea is a good one, and I think a good way to avoid over- or under-specifying would be to give each release multiple tags for each node of the tree below its individual subgenre. For example, all dark releases could be tagged with both "psytrance" and "dark", while forest trance releases could be tagged with "psytrance", "dark" and "forest".

IMO

Goa-This includes all styles of Goa (Old School, New School, Nitzho etc.)

Full On-This includes all styles of Full On (Poppy, Israeli, SA, Dark, Hard etc.)

Progressive-This includes Tectrance too since IMO most of them sound Proggy in my ears. Also minimal, trancey, housey psy etc.

Darkpsy-This includes Forest, Russian style, Psycore, Horror etc.

Experimental-Suomi, Australian, genres fusion, weird stuff

Ambient/Downtempo-From beatless ambient to Shpongle

and just plain Psytrance-For everything else, like MEEO for example or the old IM.

I tend to agree with this kind of system because less is better. Not sure how people are supposed to navigate the scene with 50 million genres.

Thanks for making it simple and organized.

[- psy is a state of being -]

• 2 weeks later...

Great site btw, and fantastic tunes

I really appreciate your willingness to put some music out there for free

for people to try and then buy to support the artists.

Any of those records on your site your own originals, or your own mixes?

Hard to tell exactly who's who and what's what.

Love to hear your stuff if its there though.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

One other thought I had that would make the site even more cool than it is now

is to add your tags to the recommendations section.

Be very cool for people to browse through your essentials lists by tag.

At least I think it would be cool.

Plus it really helps to know the style as you are investigating artists

and records you may have never heard before.

Anyway - my 2 extra cents.

Love Ektoplazm...

peace

Thanks, I plan to expand the recommendations part of it at some point... realistically this should be done using the Discogs API. If there are any experienced PHP programmers out there that would like to help it might speed up the process. I was going to do it this summer but then I landed a job in a lab...

Cool - can't wait to see all the new site goodies.

We are friends on lastfm now btw.

Thanks for the add.

Also following on twitter

keep up the good work

I just got a job today, so now I can start /buying/ psytrance again

hooray :posford: