The Twisted Top (3,5,10 or whatever)

NextWorld

Another Top of the Pops thread :D

Seriously...Twisted, being the top label in the past 10 years or so, deserves a thread like this. I can't think of any label that has kept such a high musical standard for such a long time....except....nah nothing..... I haven't been in the Psytrance scene for long enough to completly witness the story of Twisted Records, but i think i have listened to every important release from Twisted, and many of them are amongst my all time favourites.

i'll make it a list of 5, as 5 releases really stand out for me, the rest shares the 6th place :)

1) Ott - Blumenkraft: I've only got this album for some month now, and fuck....why did i miss that for so many years...a perfect fusion of Psy, Ambient and Dub....with some little Oldschoolisch Goa Influences here and there. i've listened to it more that 50 times during the past month and still can't get enough.Not a single mediocre or just "good" track here, every is just pure gold with "Splitting an atom" as one of the best songs this scene has ever created...

2) Younger Brother - The last days of gravity: Probably the most hyped and one of the most controverse Albums of 2007. It topped all my expectations. The only bad part is the short "I am a freak" sample...trivial and useless...i do like the song itself very much though. Slightly better (and totally different) than a flock of bleeps.

3) Shpongle - Nothing Lasts....: Hard to decide which one to choose, but i take the 3rd one here...probably not the best Album (at least people say so) but i hadn't have the chance to dive that deep into the first two. I like them both, but there are memories that i connect to the 3rd Album, which make it the top Shpongle Album for me :)

4) Hallucinogen - The Lone Deranger: I finally undestood Hallucinogens music when i saw him live in Switzerland for the first time. Even though my mood was very bad at that party and the venue was overcrowded, Simon managed to keep me in trance for the whole set, while i was standing there only watching and moving my hips. Outstanding, but these days slower, non 4x4 music does more for me. thus only No.4

5) Prometheus - Corridor of Mirrors: Deserves a mention here. Its one of the few "Psy" Albums from the past years that really does it for me. Much Psy that is released today, even if really really good, doesn't do much for me...So i was very surprised to be so easily blown away from a pure Psytrance Album. Plus two of Prometheus greatest tracks are on here (The 9th and Arkadia)...

thats it :)

I'm gonna make this short:

1. Shpongle - Are You Shpongled?

2. Hallucinogen In Dub

3. Younger Brother - A Flock of Bleeps

4. VA - The Unusual Suspects

5. Hallucinogen - The Lone Deranger

They were great a couple of years ago. To bad they released not so good music since then.

I'd say that ever since Timecode got into the scene they have owned it :)

1. HALLUCINOGEN - THE LONE DERANGER

2. SHPONGLE - ARE YOU SHPONGLED ?

3. VA - ECLIPSE

4. DOOF - IT'S ABOUT TIME

5. TRISTAN - AUDIODROME

6. VA - DEMENTED

7. VA - DEMENTERTAINMENT

8. YOUNGER BROTHER - A FLOCK OF BEEPS

1. Ott - Blumenkraft

2. Shpongle - Are You Shpongled?

3. Younger Brother - A Flock of Bleeps

4. Ott - Hallucinogen in Dub

5. Younger Brother - Last Days of Gravity

In quite random order... these are mainly the cds I've listened to most, not counting Backroom Beats albums.

1. Shpongle - Are You Shpongled?

2. Shpongle - Tales of the Inexpressible

3. V/A Eclipse - A Journey Of Permanence & Impermanence

4. Hallucinogen in Dub

5. OTT - Blumenkraft

6. Shpongle - Nothing Lasts

Mostly Shpongle & OTT, for me easily the best thing on twisted is there downbeat stuff

also they re-released SPs debut Twisted which would be top of the list if it didn't feel so much like a Dragonfly release in my heart ;)

hard question...right now it'd look like this:

1 - Hallucinogen - The Lone Deranger

2 - Hallucinogen In Dub

3 - Shpongle - Are You Shpongled?

4 - Ott - Blumenkraft

5 - Prometheus - Robot-O-Chan

6 - Younger Brother - A Flock of Bleeps

Not an easy one, but I'll give it a try:

1. Hallucinogen - The Lone Deranger. Simply stunning, even now after 10 years - both musically & technically; The tunes are varied and the level of psychedelia delivered by some of them is staggering. Best possible combination of wonderful, timeless music and beautiful artwork. And to think I didn't liked it at all when I got it 8 years ago...

2. Prometheus - Robot.O.Chan. Atmospheric, futuristic, danceable & creative. He managed to create a real concept album - cohesive but varied at the same time. His 2007' follow-up was good too, but never reached the high level set by the debut.

3. Younger Brother - A Flock of Bleeps. Another classic, from out-there chill/down tempo to kicking psytrance in the latter part of the disc. I love the voice manipulations, the free-style nature of all the tracks, even the faster ones ("Magic Monkey Juice"), the flow of the album. And the cover art!

4. Hallucinogen - In Dub. Huuuge! The way those classic S. Posford tunes got re-worked by Ott is genious. I can't get enough of listening to this CD. After all those years, even if I know already all the details, twaeks & surprises, it manages to stay fresh and exciting. Much better than all Shpongle & solo Ott stuff combined, IMO.

5. Beast - Spawn/Trouble EP. THE psychedelic single of all times. I love all stuff Sean Williams was involved in, and this single is one of the highlights in his career.

6. Younger Brother - The Last Days of Gravity. I've been having it only couple of weeks, but I can already tell it has surpassed my (huge) expectations in all possible ways. A bit poppy, but in a good way. Incredibly musical and at the same time highly psychedelic. I miss a bit the variation present in their debut, hence the lower position on my list. But who knows when this one ends up in few years time?

It's About Time, though re-released on Twisted, should really be regarded as a TIP release. As for my top 10 Twisted releases, ooh, I need to give it some careful consideration...

You mean "Let's turn on" surely, because "It's about time" was RELEASED (not "re-") by Twisted.

You mean "Let's turn on" surely, because "It's about time" was RELEASED (not "re-") by Twisted.

Ooops, my bad. As way of penance I've pinned the "Cock of the day" badge to my sweater. I deserve it :(

To be absolutely honest with you i am very surprised about 1st and 2nd plce in your TOP's. I can't think of anything else then:

1. Hallucinogen - The Lone Deranger

2. Hallucinogen - Twisted

3. Prometheus - Corridor Of Mirrors

4. Shpongle - Tales Of The Inexpressible

5. Koxbox - U-Turn

Yea, no younger Brother :unsure:

1) Hallucinogen - Twisted2

2) Hallucingen In Dub

3) Shpongle - Are You Shpongled?

4) Younger Brother - Last Days Of Gravity

5) Hallucinogen - The Lone Deranger

Speaks for itself it seams...