2 Tonight Is Forever (8:08)

3 Come Now (8:07)

4 Not Human (9:27)

5 We're All Crazy (7:36)

6 Unsane Networking (8:41)

7 Perpetual Motion (8:52)

8 Different Ways (8:11)

9 Retro Square (10:02)

I was surprised to see that no one reviewed this album so far, and we're already a few months after the release date.

I'm not a fan of this dark-psy-fullon-forest music but every once in a while I hear something I really enjoy - just like this album just here. Norwegian Phobium (Henning Helland Ottesen) has posted a recorded live set of his music for free at his website - http://www.phobium.net - so I downloaded it just to hear what's it is going to be like. I was so much impressed by how much it kickd ass, so I ordered his album and it was one of the most decisions I made this year.

So let's go:

Let me start by saying that the artwork is preety much fugly. I see no thought behind it, and the print (or design) quality really sucks ass. Luckily, the music is the total opposite of it.

I Know Where To Go Now (T1) introduces us to the Phobium sound. very fast (I'd say over 150 bpm, without checking) and very "forestly", if you know what I mean. No melodies here, just rich textured sounds which will sound really good at 4am. Tonight Is Forever (T2) is even better - not a single moment of relaxation. This is full power music! Carefully placed breaks and transitions outcome in some pleasant surprises many times throughout the track(s). Come Now (T3) takes a turn to the darker side, if it wasn't already aggressive enough. Not Human (T4) wasn't interesting. We're All Crazy (T5) is definitely crazy - this is on the border of hardcore, and I love it. This is probably the worst sounding track on this album, but it is lots of fun and smiles. Unsane Networking (T6) is one of the highlights here. Very rich layered sounds with thought behind them in almost a melodical way, not just randomly thrown in sounds like I hear many times. Perpetual Motion starts different, a bit minimal (as much as it can be minimal in this genre) and a non 1/16ish bassline. That was enough to make my ear interested, but when the goa (yes, goa.) came in I was so happy. I am a very big fan of goa trance, and whenever someone tries to make new-school goa trance I'm hooked in seconds. This is the case here - especially the second half of the track. It's simply mind blowing. Different Ways (T8) is not any worse than Perpetual Motion. Not as much goa in here, but this is one hell of a psychedelic track with lots of great hooks in it. Retro Square (T9) shows the atmospheric side of Phobium, with some almost cheesy (god-forbid) melodies. Nonetheless, it managed to be extremely trippy and interesting. Brilliant.

Bottom line: A bit more variety in the middle part of the album and a better cover and this would be a perfect album. This is good forest music - very psychedelic, great textures and a high "killlargh1@#21%" factor. It would be really interesting to hear more goaish music from him, as he can definitely do it. Give it a listen even if you don't usually listen to this kind of music, maybe it will change your mind.

Favorites: 1, 2, 5, 6, 7(!!), 8(!!!), 9(!).

I simply just commended your post, where you sayd no one pays attention to this album... Just wanted to tell you why :)

Well I didn't really mean ppl who don't like this style, but was surprised that no one who likes this style hasn't payed any attention to this album :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...