MIN.

seraph

MINIMAL.

minimus - of a minimum ammount, quantity or degree, negligible.

- use of simple or primary forms or structures, geometric or massive ones.

- in music characterised by repetition and gradual alteration of short phrases.

The ERA of maximal is finished ( unfortunately ) and there are heaps of 'maximal' music around that simply doesn't make sense so naturally, the progression goes the other way, towards more minimal and constructive sounds, like a rest for the brain. Most of the new stuff is very tiring and stops psychedelic streams of perception through your brain. Minimal, techy, progressive realms actually continued the tradition of applying the old school principles into the music, making it as liquid as before but much more minimal and with incredible precision, hence better production. There are few trance producers ( MIDI MILIZ, X-DREAM, SON KITE, KOXBOX ) that are playing with their brains in electro/techno realms, also some of the techno producers ( PLASTIKMAN, LOCO DICE, PASCAL FEOS, JOSH WINK ) combine some trance with their minimal input. For me, this is the refreshment of sound, completely perfect state of mind and trance that puts you in, even though it is not actually trance, it is perfect Holiday for the Brain.

KEY PRODUCERS & DJ'S : PLASTIKMAN, HEARTTHROB, EXTRAWELT, LOCO DICE, TRENTEMOLLER, TROY PIERCE, PASCAL F.E.O.S., JOSH WINK, MAGDA, LUCIANO, RICARDO VILLALOBOS, HUGGOTRON, MINILOGUE, AGARIC, THOMAS MELCHIOR, DONNACHA COSTELLO, PAUL BRTSCHITSCH, ONUR OZER...

RFRSH YR MND WTH MNML. :D

Curiously, only now have I been able to really appreciate some of the minimal gems of the Y2K era... modern minimal seldom catches my ear (although I will admit Trentemoller has some really good tunes out there). In terms of minimal psytrance, La Baaz, if they qualify, is probably the most enticing project. Tracks like Asirion (on Cold Groove) and Bodyloation (on Aeon) are so incredibly streamlined. Sensient continues to impress me (although I was initially boggled by their second album, Tim's evolved style has really grown on me). I am still not too sure what to think of Minilogue, aside from their newest creations being extremely well-produced... same with Extrawelt--not sure if it's doing it for me. I will need to wait and see if it all grows on me...

Does anyone have recommendations for the psychedelic side of "traditional" minimal techno gurus such as Richie Hawtin and such? I am just waiting for that one track to really grab me...

Does anyone have recommendations for the psychedelic side of "traditional" minimal techno gurus such as Richie Hawtin and such? I am just waiting for that one track to really grab me...

PLASTIKMAN - MINUS YELLOW A1

PLASTIKMAN - ORANGE TRACK 1

PLASTIKMAN - ORANGE TRACK 2

PASCAL F.E.O.S. - TANZBOMBE

JOSH WINK - HAVE TO GET BACK

BRETT JOHNSON - SEX WITH MACHINES

YOSHIMOTO - STREAM ( TRENTEMOLLER RMX )

MARGOT - TORCH ( EXTRAWELT RMX )

Me like Minimal music, you should check out GummiHZ, Seraph, if you don't already know him, i think you would like it (judging from the list of artists described by you)

Anyways, I agree that minimal today tends to be much trippier than "maximal" music. I think that's because today its so easy to overproduce with so much equipment readily available everywhere. It takes much more skill to hold back and define what's really important for the music and focus on these elements.

Maybe it's a weird comoparison, but when it comes to "normal music", the singer/songwriter style of the 70's can express so much more with just a few words and a accoustic guitar then the biggest loudest 5-piece combo with all kinds of distortion and glam effectsetc...

Also, I believe that minimalism is in direct correlation to maturity, The more mature the listener, the more minimal his tastes will be.

But also in a different sense. Every style of music goes through a curve where it starts minimal because of the few technicakl and musical possibilities. Then all the possibilities will be used to their fullest extend, the maximal era (full-on...) ensues. Then people will re-focus on what's import and a new minimal era will start.

Maybe it's a weird comoparison, but when it comes to "normal music", the singer/songwriter style of the 70's can express so much more with just a few words and a accoustic guitar then the biggest loudest 5-piece combo with all kinds of distortion and glam effectsetc...

I agree with you completely!! And I love that singr/songwriter style (Simon & Garfunkel, Bob Dylan, Tom Waits etc...)!

Oh and I just love minimal music! I'm going to a club tonight, to see Rasmus Hedlund. Maybe someone has heard of him? Don't know what style he's going to play tonight though.

And once again, I recommend all the stuff from Thinnerism, Textone and Epsilonlab.

Check out especially Alice Mackay & Benfay - Lighthouse EP and Baier/Box - Boxing/Unboxing EP from Thinnerism. They're incredible. Dapayk - Black, White, Orange, Lines EP from Textone is also great.

• 2 weeks later...

Not forgetting Monolake... now there's minimal excellence *wiiionk*

MONOLAKE is great but I wouldn't call them Minimal, but rather Experimental/IDM.

Robert Henke style is very distinctive, I like his crispy production and his arrangements are out of this world.

Albums like HONG KONG, INTERSTATE, CINEMASCOPE, MOMENTUM are essential IDM/Ambient Techno albums.

MONOLAKE is great but I wouldn't call them Minimal, but rather Experimental/IDM.

Robert Henke style is very distinctive, I like his crispy production and his arrangements are out of this world.

Albums like HONG KONG, INTERSTATE, CINEMASCOPE, MOMENTUM are essential IDM/Ambient Techno albums.

Yes but quite often his style is pretty minimal, minimal techno ambient might be a good description ...

More to the list:

Paul Kalkbrenner

Ferenc

The MFA

SCSI-9

Thanks for the input Trolsk. ;):D

Yes but quite often his style is pretty minimal, minimal techno ambient might be a good description ...

Yeah, that would be the most accurate description, but still, he isn't making dance music but chilled stuff.

Just got Holden's The Idiots are Winning Again album.

It's really interesting. Sounds a bit like Plastikman but much bleepier.

Fantastic name of the album ! Will check it out for sure, thanks Pavel. ;):D