How do you see Psytrance?

Guest MMV

Well I found Psytrance by accident. I just heard an Infected Mushroom track, and i liked the style a lot !! So much that i got all the INfected Mushroom discography and listened to all of it. I didn;t know much about Psytrance at that time. And from infected mushroom and other similar bands had to offer, i was imaging psytrance as "music of the future". A 100% electronic futuristic and catchy music. A music that would become the "pop" genre of year 2050.

But soon i started to do some researches. And i found out about all this.. eastern origins of Psytrance (and its father, Goa Trance).. about "Astral projection" and its bizzare oriental song titles (Kabalah, Free tibet, Mahadeva).. I also found some Album Covers. Mostly with Buddah, Allah and strange Indian culture elements.

But I still think that Psytrance is a futuristic music.. I just can't imagine what's the connection between the synthetic, electronic, 140+ bpm music, and the Indian Culture.

Is there anyone that's sharing my toughts?

One more thing. Here are too types of Psytrance album covers. Please tell which type reflects more your vision on psytrance.

First Type:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Second Type:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Astral projection is a great CD !! top ! one of my fav's!

cities of the future could make me depressed if i listen 10 min too it.

Goa gil can't mix + dark psy evolved too much towards breakcore.

and inception, well, i don't know about it so it will probably suck the most.

Breakcore owns darkpsy bigtime, and besides... darkpsy or any psytrance/goa/whatever stupid 'psy' genre has nothing to do with breakcore at all.. anyway i see psytrance (the nowadays stuff) for now as a pile of dog crap.

Psytrance has expanded & as such nowadays there is so much crap blocking the quality. There is probably more really good stuff today than at any other time but we'll never know about it :(

140bpm and religious/philosophical symbolism is not so un-connected as you might think at first glance.

its all about "trance". and mankind (well not all of it) has been in trance, or has participated in trance inducing events and rituals, since forever.

given our technology and lifestyles, in what we consider the modern age, goa-trance is the modern equivalent of people gathered in a circle dancing to the beat of a drum.

then the beat was close to the heart rate, now this music is geared towards more "aggressive" dancing. surely the drugs have played their part too.

and they have played their part in the spiritual "connection" too. goa in origin was popular amongst hippie-type of people. the majority of whom (imo) have experienced the benefits of psychedelic plants (or entheogens). in turn, a lot of them reached into spirituality. fan circles are frequently discussing spiritual matters and you will notice that the ratio of people who read "spiritual books" is very higher within this scene than outside it. (especially compared to lets say the house scene, this is very true even today)

Hey, Use another topic for this. I am having a real dillema here :D

It seems that i none read what i wrote  :blink:

634068[/snapback]

Your post is hard to read with the pictures aligned as they are but to answer your question I see psy as more a spacey thing. Even the ethnic influenced stuff can give off an alien vibe.

But I still think that Psytrance is  futuristic music.. I just can't imagine what's the connection between the synthetic, electronic, 140+ bpm music, and the Indian Culture.

634041[/snapback]

Futuristic Music, yea, this is how I feel about psytrance too.

The connection, well, their are many articles that explain the definition of GOA and all the aspects, origins and influences.

It's a combination of Eastern Philosophy and the celebration of life through dance and trance.

The first time I heard goa I couldn't believe people made this kind of music, this was exactelly what I wanted to hear, since I had allready a wide intrest in Psychedelic Mushrooms I went nuts about the psychedelic concept of Goa Trance.

Later I gathered more knowledge about the subject and the connection between Eastern Philosophy and Psychedelic Drugs.(This is my view only, I'm not saying it's all about drugs).

So I guess you'll figure it all out when the time is there.

Ok, right, the music, I prefer Psychedelic Trance from before 1999 because of the raw sound.But now there are many quallity releases out too, you'll just have to find out wich apeal most to your'e own personal taste.

140bpm and religious/philosophical symbolism is not so un-connected as you might think at first glance.

its all about "trance". and mankind (well not all of it) has been in trance, or has participated in trance inducing events and rituals, since forever.

Yeah, ok. But i'm talking about something else here.

Psytrance was born as

a combination of Eastern Philosophy and the celebration of life through dance and trance

while I feel the Psytrance music as a music of the future, the next step in music, the next stage.. I think you don't understand what i want to say, but i can't explain better than that :blink:

Psytrance music as a music of the future, the next step in music, the next stage

634112[/snapback]

Yea I understand, it feels like it's the music from the future, High Tech Music.

Just trying to explain, it might be too much at once, dunno. :)

Edit; after re-reading your opening text I might not completly understand.

Maybe you don't feel there is any connection between Eastern Philosophy,(cause there is no real connection between it) and nowadays it seems lost indeed.

It's just a hippy thing I guess then.

Yea I understand, it feels like it's the music from the future, High Tech Music.

Just trying to explain, it might be too much at once, dunno. :)

634115[/snapback]

You're feeling me man :D And i just can't see the connection between High Tech Music and.. eastern philosophy :huh:

The connection is maybe that, spiritual minded people created this Eastern Philosophy feeling inside this sub-culture cause it matches their own view of life.

I probably shouldn't tell you this but, imo their is a HUGE connection between psychedelic drugs and Eastern Philosophy (look at the Tibetean Book of the Dead) and since the music once was inspired by Psychedelics it's an obvious connection.

But once again, it might seem to be lost now.

Yeah, ok. But i'm talking about something else here.

Psytrance was born as  while I feel the Psytrance music as a music of the future, the next step in music, the next stage.. I think you don't understand what i want to say, but i can't explain better than that  :blink:

634112[/snapback]

You're feeling me man :D And i just can't see the connection between High Tech Music and.. eastern philosophy  :huh:

634120[/snapback]

so basically youre trying to say that hi-technologies have nothing to do with eastern philosophy [or any other one, it doesnt matter]?

so next comes - technology have nothing to do with human mind? technology is there for itself, it created itself?

the way you look at this world - you have chance to make this world better place, make yourself a better person, and thats about what [at some extent] e-phyl are about, and what else besides progress-technology-science could we use to go further into evolution and perfection, except our mind ofcourse.

see the way i see, its not neccessary to be connected with these "classic" e-phyl, it doesnt matter where does this or that phylosophy comes from, what matters is you as a person. goa trance sort of projects certain perceptions of reality into music. so there is your connection with phylosophy, wisdom, human mind, call it many other names, whatever, but it is not cold technology only. because we do not create technology for the sake of technology. technology is here to help us, atleast it should, and through technology, through fruits-and-process-of-your-work, you can project-express this perception of universe, this "phylosophy".

sort of :)

so basically youre trying to say that hi-technologies have nothing to do with eastern philosophy [or any other one, it doesnt matter]?

so next comes - technology have nothing to do with human mind? technology is there  for itself, it created itself?

the way you look at this world - you have chance to make this world better place, make yourself a better person, and thats about what [at some extent] e-phyl are about, and what else besides progress-technology-science could we use to go further into evolution and perfection, except our mind ofcourse.

see the way i see, its not neccessary to be connected with these "classic" e-phyl, it doesnt matter where does this or that phylosophy comes from, what matters is you as a person. goa trance sort of projects certain perceptions of reality into music. so there is your connection with phylosophy, wisdom, human mind, call it many other names, whatever, but it is not cold technology only. because we do not create technology for the sake of technology. technology is here to help us, atleast it should, and through technology, through fruits-and-process-of-your-work, you can project-express this perception of universe, this "phylosophy".

sort of :)

634139[/snapback]

Yeah. And the thing is that i can associate a LOT easyer Psytrance with the Future of thecnology, than Buddah Philosophy. :huh:

to me it's a whole lot more about the (dying) spirituality, nature and peaceloving values etc etc involved in this music, (they attracted me to psyparty's in the first place) then about technologic futurism whatsoever... never really saw it that way also...

and i know it's just such a cliché but i still prefer spiritual/natural/emotional/organic/fantasy... concepts in psy defenitly above all those teknoid/materialistic/cold/futuristic ones...

for sure...

Yeah. And the thing is that i can associate a LOT easyer Psytrance with the Future of thecnology, than Buddah Philosophy.  :huh:

634152[/snapback]

just look @ the history of psytrance (goatrance) where it all started and you will get it ;)

combining the best of different cultures, east-west, spirituality-technology, ...

You wont understand the spirit of goa by listening to infected.those guys are something else. :)

634179[/snapback]

Well.. that means i'm not searching for Goa. I really like the infected style.

Then what is that i like? Anyone knows? :blink:

Well.. that means i'm not searching for Goa. I really like the infected style.

Then what is that i like? Anyone knows?  :blink:

634351[/snapback]

if you want hi-tech music then try idm, etc.(not similar to infected) In case you haven't done so yet and what you admire in goa-psy is the technological aspect and "how can people make music that is sooo weird" you'll be glad to discover idm, breakbeats, experimental electronic music, bla, bla.......

start by digging into warp records, is my advice ; )

Breakcore owns darkpsy bigtime, and besides... darkpsy or any psytrance/goa/whatever stupid 'psy' genre has nothing to do with breakcore at all.. anyway i see psytrance (the nowadays stuff) for now as a pile of dog crap.

634058[/snapback]

totally different styles... I agree psytrance sux today but still there are a few good releases to be found...

with breakcore you mean some of idm too?

The discussion about the difference between goa (Astral Projection, Hallucinogen, entc.) and psytance (Infected Mushroom and the modern day full on) is endless and, in my opinion quite useless. Some people call any psychedelic trance music goa and I don't care wat you call it.

I see all electronic music as sort of futuristic (even old 80's electro), goatrance just added the spiritual and floating elements, which make it sound somehow more cosmic and dreamy. Also the fact that it all started in India explains the connection with eastern melodies en religions.

if you want hi-tech music then try idm, etc.(not similar to infected) In case you haven't done so yet and what you admire in goa-psy is the technological aspect and "how can people make music that is sooo weird" you'll be glad to discover idm, breakbeats, experimental electronic music, bla, bla.......

start by digging into warp records, is my advice  ; )

634362[/snapback]

OK. Ill check that out. And i generaly "like" all the electronic music genres. But i "love" the 140 bpm of Psytrance !! I feel that it's getting straight to my soul and stays there. I can listen to Psytrance for 4 hours in a row. that 140 bpm seems to be my living rhythm, or something..

goatrance just added the spiritual and floating elements, which make it sound somehow more cosmic and dreamy.

Well.. that actually explains a lot B)

SO, Infected Mushroom has nothing to do with the indian style and philosophy. They just used the 140 bpm of goa trance to make a futuristic electronic music.

Astral Projection is trying tu transpose the eastern way of thinking in the electronic music, using the same 140 bpm.

That makes me conclude: I love the 140 bpm, because i have a special connection to it. I like the High Tech music for its futuristic sound. So nothing to do wiht Buddah, after all. But sometimes i like to listen to some dreaming Astral Projection. And i definetly got to try some shrooms sometimes to fully understand the goa trance.

Thanks a lot, guys !!

MMV