a degree in composition

Oopie

I've listened to his music and it wasn't obvious to me at all.

:)

625314[/snapback]

ok then, fair enough, i asked my good friend google and this is what i found:

Khetzal is Matthieu Chamoux, a producer from Lyon.

He studied violin and music for twelve years. This gave him the necessary skills when he started producing music in 1998.

taken from suntrip website.

IMO, Corolle is the most musical psy release ever. It is impossible to create if you don't have the gift & experience since childhood. I would not be suprised if this guy could compose classical pieces too.

Dont know if you can really call them musical, but it sure is something about it, that makes my think sometimes "Is this really possible?!" YEt it is so simple.. HARDFLOOR!

Now, and a composer that can not be forgotten is Ralf Hildenbeutel... one of the best ones out there imo! :)

Well ain't it almost standard nowadays to say that the artist has done this and that for years (OMG! The artist played the triangle in a classical orchestra (or a metalband, or a jazz quintet, or studied mozart blabla... bullshit etcetc) and then decided to make psytrance!!1 all of the sudden! OMGOA!1) before he/she started to make psytrance in the promo TXT anyway?...

Well ain't it almost standard nowadays to say that the artist has done this and that for years (OMG!  The artist played the triangle in a classical orchestra (or a metalband, or a jazz quintet, or studied mozart blabla... bullshit etcetc) and then decided to make psytrance!!1 all of the sudden! OMGOA!1) before he/she started to make psytrance in  the promo TXT anyway?...

625587[/snapback]

yes, thats why he asks who actually got a REAL degree in music :)

i had little casio when i was youth... i could make the airplane FX, going up and down as if it was gonna crash, and then put a beat to it... blew everyone away... my musical skills haven't improved that much since, but it's already a pretty high standard (IMO).

I haven't got a degree but I've had a fair bit of musical education and experience prior to getting into goa trance... I had piano lessons from the age of 5 to 18, and studied music at school where I also learned the bass; took the first year of music A-level when doing my maths retake at college (spent most of my time in the 8-track studio there but did a lot of theory and aural training) - here I played tympani in the college orchestra (sorry NT, it's true!) and piano in the college big band; I did an electronic music module in my final term at university 'as an easy option'... I wrote my first melody when I was six (I can still remember it now) and from the age of 15 have played keyboards in all kinds of bands, from teen-pop to goth, stadium rock, funk, jazz(ish lol) and classic covers (this band included a 2-week residency as house band for a restaurant in Sharm el Sheik of all places), and recently played bass and sang backing vocals in an 5-piece indie rock band for 3 years; between 1990 and 2004 I also wrote for and performed on about 5 independantly-released albums for a folk/jazz/fusion band; from the age of 14 up until I left college I taught myself enough about music technology to be taken on as programmer/producer (but not engineer) at the main 24-track studio in the town where I grew up, and it was in the latter part of this year before I went to university that I had a jolly good stab at the whole 'lipsync to a backing track whilst doing a choreographed dance routine' thing.

I think that about covers it.

:blink:

In regards to having an actual "degree", as in graduating from a college/university with a degree in musical composition, very few artists have one (included a lot of the ones listed above), but being formally trained is a different matter and I think there are a good chunk of people who've had a good deal of formal training in music (see Colin's case above).

I agree with nemo, Ralf Hildenbeutel is one of the most musical musicians in the trance world. I could also add Stevie be Zet, Pete Namlook, Gabriel Masurel ( BPC ), Simon Posford that played piano and guitar since his childhood, Erez Aizen...

Well ain't it almost standard nowadays to say that the artist has done this and that for years (OMG!  The artist played the triangle in a classical orchestra (or a metalband, or a jazz quintet, or studied mozart blabla... bullshit etcetc) and then decided to make psytrance!!1 all of the sudden! OMGOA!1) before he/she started to make psytrance in  the promo TXT anyway?...

625587[/snapback]

triangle, wtf :lol:

i had little casio when i was youth... i could make the airplane FX, going up and down as if it was gonna crash, and then put a beat to it... blew everyone away... my musical skills haven't improved that much since, but it's already a pretty high standard (IMO).

625617[/snapback]

:lol:

make fullon

As far as I go I've been playing drums for 10+ years, keyboards for 5+ years, been composing since about 14 at school - got an A* in Music GCSE and the highest possible composing mark at A Level (though I got a C overall)... So I've been pretty well advised in composing but that doesn't really matter to me - I just wrote music, that's all I did. I of course was sometimes pointed in the right direction, given small tips by my teachers, but I *wrote* the stuff.

Sometimes it's just natural talent. :)

If you're making melodic music it's nice to have some feeling for melody and it can be very helpful to have played an instrument. But I don't think I've heard much electronic music that would require real knowledge of composition like say, in classical music. :o

I'm not impressed when these artists have a degree in anything...it doesn't mean that their music is gonna be better in any way.

I know Toi Doi and The Muses Rapt both have a degree as well, and Toi Doi is even writing music for the opera of Paris... Muses Rapt sister, where he works together with now, is a famous opera singer as well :)

626417[/snapback]

:blink:

didn't expect that! :o:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

ok then, fair enough, i asked my good friend google and this is what i found:

taken from suntrip website.

IMO, Corolle is the most musical psy release ever.  It is impossible to create if you don't have the gift & experience since childhood.  I would not be suprised if this guy could compose classical pieces too.

625326[/snapback]

Yes for sure I could :lol:

I do have a musical "degree", not really in musical composition, but in musical theory... Started playing violin when I was only 5 year old. And studied violin and musical theory during twelve years. That's really enough to know how to produce classical pieces, but not real masterpieces. That's why melodic stuff is so deep in my life and of course in my tracks.

Anyway, some things I did not learn : how to produce a dancefloor-killer energetic track, how to make sounds "cut" the mix, a lot of other things, really. So...

Yes for sure I could  :lol:

I do have a musical "degree", not really in musical composition, but in musical theory... Started playing violin when I was only 5 year old. And studied violin and musical theory during twelve years. That's really enough to know how to produce classical pieces, but not real masterpieces. That's why melodic stuff is so deep in my life and of course in my tracks.

Anyway, some things I did not learn : how to produce a dancefloor-killer energetic track, how to make sounds "cut" the mix, a lot of other things, really. So...

633529[/snapback]

Khetzal, you stud! When is your next album due?

I wants me some more Khetzal!