Buying 320kbps mp3, wav, flac, ape, etc

amphiton

I was away from my PC for a long-long time: first - the exams, then I went to the psy festival in the Crimea, after that we were organizing an open-air... all this time I was listening to AudioCDs only - no mp3's.

Now after getting back I realised that I can't enjoy mp3s anymore - they sound so distorted and flat! On the other hand I can't afford buying many CDs so I thought about buying 320kbps .mp3, .wav or .flac - why not? They are cheaper, you enjoy them and still support artists/labels. And nowerdays there are only 2-3 good tracks on compilations/albums.

So I'm looking for digital audio shops now. Where do you buy digital music?

I donno, i am still waiting for more reasonable prices e.g 1$ per track on WAV format. Or on APE.

583023[/snapback]

I think all lossless audio formats (flac, ape, wm) offer the same quality, they just weight less - that's all.

I donno, i am still waiting for more reasonable prices e.g 1$ per track on WAV format. Or on APE.

583023[/snapback]

You got to remember that $1 for a commercial track is not the same as $1 for a psy track - psy tracks are often twice, maybe three times a commercial tracks length. It's not profitable for labels to sell the tracks for $1 because then the money would all go to the bandwidth bill, not the artists.

So I'm looking for digital audio shops now. Where do you buy digital music?

583020[/snapback]

www.beatport.com

www.audiojelly.com

www.musicdock.net

Those are the only three I know of that offer 320k MP3 for Psy related stuff at the moment.

You got to remember that $1 for a commercial track is not the same as $1 for a psy track - psy tracks are often twice, maybe three times a commercial tracks length. It's not profitable for labels to sell the tracks for $1 because then the money would all go to the bandwidth bill, not the artists.

583053[/snapback]

Not my problem, till then i'll buy CDs, cause it's cheaper.

583088[/snapback]

actually it is.. you can't go to a honda shop or to tower records... ok, ok let's make it even... hmm... economically speaking it's not viable to sell wav. files, mastered, and with all that weight for one dollar. It's just not. iTunes is not making any money, it's actually loosing money from 1 dollar mp3 downloads. They make that ching-ching back on the sale of iPods. FLAC helps reduce prices (or at least the bandwith bill, but is not much help). Beatport charging 2 dollars for an mp3 track is a bit ridiculous though. At the end, you DON'T need to have a pricing system based on 1 track = $1 so 10 tracks = 10 dollars.... you know this should be cheaper.... but if you want to get one track, it's difficult to sell cheaper, when you purchase something (anything) via credit card... visa is taking 30-45 cents ($) per transaction alone... so...

-

can you tell i'm involved in some venture to sell music here?, you'll soon find out muahahah B)

Edited by RAH

actually it is.. you can't go to a honda shop or to tower records... ok, ok let's make it even... hmm... economically speaking it's not viable to sell wav. files, mastered, and with all that weight  for one dollar. It's just not. iTunes is not making any money, it's actually loosing money from 1 dollar mp3 downloads. They make that ching-ching back on the sale of iPods. FLAC helps reduce prices (or at least the bandwith bill, but is not much help). Beatport charging 2 dollars for an mp3 track is a bit ridiculous though. At the end, you DON'T need to have a pricing system based on 1 track = $1 so 10 tracks = 10 dollars.... you know this should be cheaper....  but if you want to get one track, it's difficult to sell cheaper.

-

can you tell i'm involved in some venture to sell music here?, you'll soon find out muahahah  B)

583114[/snapback]

I know these facts mate, but still i can't be hassled to pay for air the same price or sometimes more when i can buy a CD with cover art and all. It just doesn't make sense.

I've been obsessing a little over Bleep.com lately. It's run by Warp Records, but has an enormous amount of stuff from a ton of labels, all in 320. So if you like IDM, electronica, glitch, electro, etc., then I highly recommend it. Click on "BROWSE" and it takes you to an alphabetical listing of artists.

Guest Elysium

www.beatport.com

www.audiojelly.com

www.musicdock.net

Those are the only three I know of that offer 320k MP3 for Psy related stuff at the moment.

583084[/snapback]

Actually Beatport also sell Wav's to a reasonable price.

I know these facts mate, but still i can't be hassled to pay for air the same price or sometimes more when i can buy a CD with cover art and all. It just doesn't make sense.

583128[/snapback]

completly agree with you, i wouln't pay $ 14 for wav's or mp3's when i can buy the cd for that, it's not good business sense anyway you look @ it

completly agree with you, i wouln't pay $ 14 for wav's or mp3's  when i can buy the cd for that, it's not good business sense anyway you look @ it

583197[/snapback]

Yeah, FUNK DAT!

That's why Beatport pisses me off. Nothing like paying $18 for MP3s of a CD I can get for less than $14 at Psyshop.

The fact is: there are 2-3 good tracks on a compilation, so if you take 3 compilations and pay for the tracks - you get the best VA compiled by yourself. Same price, higher quality.

Of course, there are marvelous CDs you have to buy to own physically, but what I'm trying to say is - I'd rather buy 9 tracks from 3 VAs than 1 VA.

Everyone will win.

583088[/snapback]

Me too. Infact I'll keep buying CDs because I like the physical product, to actually hold it in my hand. An MP3 file doesn't mean shit to me.

583053[/snapback]

True, but psy tracks are usually created on an artists' own equipment, where as commercial tracks are created in very expensive recording studios which have to be paid for.

True, but psy tracks are usually created on an artists' own equipment, where as commercial tracks are created in very expensive recording studios which have to be paid for.

583848[/snapback]

What does that have to do with downloading?

OK. Made some explorations and I found out that there's too little psy music for sale as digital audio. Mpdqx (Digital Structures) sells 192/320/AAC for ~1Euro - no wavs and here's what he said:

hi theo

theoretically I could do it as lossless is the same fileformat as aac (mp4)

but I have already converted and uploaded almost all the catalogue to my

shop and to redo all the tracks again + the upload ... I don't have the time

at the moment.

then there is also the philosophical side to it ... wheather digital format

will take over cd sales is not clear yet and as long as it isn't I prefer to

reward people buying cds with a higher quality cause i much prefer cd as a

format at least for artist albums as it is most of the time a thought up

concept of music which can easily get lost in a buy per track context ...

beatport.com do carry our music in wav though ...

all the best

Peter

PsySounds.com sells only Ajana/Ketuh/Trishula releases for ~1 Euro

Audiojelly.com has 320kbps mp3 maximum, with beatport.com, that sells wav for 3$, they have the biggest catalogue.

Plusquam also have a shop @ their web-site.

I couldn't find most of the music I'm interested in for sale as DA. Will be waiting.

583956[/snapback]

He means that it costs less for a psy producer to create an album/track then a commercial producer (rnb/pop-rock/hip-hop, ie everything that you can hear on radio/tv)

And he's right.

583956[/snapback]

You were making the point psy tracks shouldn't cost $1 a pop to download, like commercial tracks do, because they are often twice as long. I was making the point psy tracks usually cost less to produce than commercial tracks so therefore shouldn't cost more to download.

Usually with large record labels, the cost of the recording studios are absorbed by the label - this isn't the case in this scene. (correct me if I'm wrong)

583992[/snapback]

I don't know.