The hype and the random bleeps music of nowadays.

After reading this topic http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=39044 i had to start this discussion.

Are you a person that blindly follow a review or a recommendation that you found online and buy a release solely based on it?

There were several releases this year and the previous one that have been praised highly which i found at most uninspired and boring and sometimes i wondered whether i am doing the right drugs. Yes, it's true that different people have different tastes and that opinions are like assholes and that everybody should have one. But the sheer amount of those releases that didn't tickle my spleen the least or made my head explode made me realise that it must be all the years of shitty full on that lowered everybody's standards to such point where everytime something being released without the typical Israeli cliches and vocals and with insane BPM and messy FX all over the place it's immediately gets a place in the hall of fame.

I know i'm not too old, i'm still not that deaf and i know i appreciate a messy music as long as it has some sort of a logical buildup and some sort of an idea. I still like to listen to the old Hux Flux material and appreciate the intricacy and the musicality and somewhat randomness in his tunes. Where the hell did this spirit gone? Why is that when i hear the new dark psy mega stars i hear nothing but bleeps, fat kick and bassline and no music and no pattern? Please tell me if i'm too old. If it's true, i'll put on my Celine Dion records and go to drink tea with cookies.

oh, well, i download, so if i dont like it i simply delete it, if i do like then i look for possibility to buy it ASAP.

about so called random noises and farts - well, i for example am not big fan of "dark [wtf?! dark WHAT?] psy", i find it mostly too standartized [can i use this term or am i horribly engrish on this one :)?], sounds used and the way they are used are all the same. i like derangos "tumult" tho, perhaps because because before it i had no darkpsy listening experience, maybe the reason that i havent heard too many of "darkpsy" is the reason why i like derangos album, there are some good tracks i must say, im sure about that, for example sanaton audio - few funny tracks.

as for making up my mind whether i should look for specific release or not is based on reviews/rating pretty much because there is so much of this stuff out there that its hard to follow and download/buy everything.

but then again, im still in goa trance so not that much of a problem, but i understand what you pavel are talking about and somehow i agree, yet there are couple of good tracks among "farts n ass scratches" :D. and music is good as long as its not there for the sake of name/image, to be "dark" or "frightening" - well that just makes it sound pretentious and producers are simply wannabee. sometimes it seems to me that some producers are making "weird" music just for the sake of weirdness, to be different for the sake of this word "different", not because this is the music that comes within and not because this is the only way to be for them as a person, as part of the scene or the whole universe or whatever they feel like they are being confident enough and intelligent and "digging" the thing deep enough to understand it.

it's true for all genres. there are more releases every year that are bad rather than fantastic, which is good in a way cause else I'd be a very poor man. am I alone on this one, or is it that the crappy trance (ambient) albums are very generic and almost emberresably lame. while you can take a crappy techno/tech-house release and atleast you hear small traces of innovation, or atleast an attempt to do something original? that's why I used to listen to prog rock alot, cause the norm within that genre was to strive for something original, but not all bands succeded of course.

After reading this topic http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=39044 i had to start this discussion.

Are you a person that blindly follow a review or a recommendation that you found online and buy a release solely based on it?

There were several releases this year and the previous one that have been praised highly which i found at most uninspired and boring and sometimes i wondered whether i am doing the right drugs. Yes, it's true that different people have different tastes and that opinions are like assholes and that everybody should have one. But the sheer amount of those releases that didn't tickle my spleen the least or made my head explode made me realise that it must be all the years of shitty full on that lowered everybody's standards to such point where everytime something being released without the typical Israeli cliches and vocals and with insane BPM and messy FX all over the place it's immediately gets a place in the hall of fame.

I know i'm not too old, i'm still not that deaf and i know i appreciate a messy music as long as it has some sort of a logical buildup and some sort of an idea. I still like to listen to the old Hux Flux material and appreciate the intricacy and the musicality and somewhat randomness in his tunes. Where the hell did this spirit gone? Why is that when i hear the new dark psy mega stars i hear nothing but bleeps, fat kick and bassline and no music and no pattern? Please tell me if i'm too old. If it's true, i'll put on my Celine Dion records and go to drink tea with cookies.

560717[/snapback]

I never fall for hype. I'm way too cool for that.

On a serious note - I agree with what you say completely. The so-called 'big releases' that I've heard this year have left me cold and I can't help feeling trance has seen it's best days. It's been on a downward slope for many years now, and, yes, it might scale the dizzy heights of old again, but I can't see it happening.

After reading this topic

There were several releases this year and the previous one that have been praised highly which i found at most uninspired and boring and sometimes i wondered whether i am doing the right drugs.

560717[/snapback]

in short... no... it's music to watch things flying from left to right, to keep you from falling asleep at 4 am, which prog will not do for me and in general... it's just trance to let your brain turn to mush. Unfortuntaelly a couple of beers are not going to take you there...

check it, love it...

http://www.sonic-energy.net/core/content/view/263/2/

in short... no... it's music to watch things flying from left to right, to keep you from falling asleep at 4 am, which prog will not do for me and in general... it's just trance to let your brain turn to mush. Unfortuntaelly a couple of beers are not going to take you there...

check it, love it...

http://www.sonic-energy.net/core/content/view/263/2/

560914[/snapback]

I heard their previous stuff. It was def better than most of the other Finnish stuff but still to wacky to really connect. I'm not saying that prog. trance is the substitute for me. I really like wacky soundscapes and sonic experimentation. It's just i find much more content music in other musical genres. IDM for example. Apparat's Duplex album has much wackier sounds than Psykovsky or Kindzadza ever will, but he does it so much more harmoniously and with much more music in the head. I fear that most of nowadays producers wish only to move speed driven freaks on the dancefloor, which explains the current 150+ fad.

I am really open minded but i just can't find any feeling or sense in this music.

to each their own baba. A lot of the heavy, heavy twisted stuff i wouln't go as far as calling music. Nobody is claiming anything else. The point is taste. I was the wierd kid in school that heard Einstürzende Neubauten along with squarepusher and skinny puppy, just cause nobody else would... :rolleyes: then a Finnish mate introduced me to psy, intact instinct, early infected mushroom, AP... so on and so on. I enjoy listenign to wierd music... is just taste bruv :)

i had an opportunity to hear samples from previous EvsY album's and i this stuff has potential on the prog circles, especially the first tracks.. that's why i pointed out... :D

not trying to convince anybody to like the twisted stuff, you like it or you don't.. period... but going as far as calling it 'the decline of psy' is just... *sigh*... so apocalyptic...

I agree that hype can be very misleading. I've fallen for it many times, especially early on when my taste hadn't fully developed (the first Skazi album is a perfect example), but it still happens (e.g., Twisted System). And I admit I played a part in the Ka-Sol hype, but that to me wasn't really hype, because I love his music, and the album still rocks my socks in a big way. So it comes down to taste, and also about smarts - knowing how to skillfully sift through the hype. If Charlie, for instance, has poor taste and is a sucker for what's popular, then he's always going to fall for it. ;)

I agree that hype can be very misleading. I've fallen for it many times, especially early on when my taste hadn't fully developed (the first Skazi album is a perfect example), but it still happens (e.g., Twisted System). And I admit I played a part in the Ka-Sol hype, but that to me wasn't really hype, because I love his music, and the album still rocks my socks in a big way. So it comes down to taste, and also about smarts - knowing how to skillfully sift through the hype. If Charlie, for instance, has poor taste and is a sucker for what's popular, then he's always going to fall for it.  ;)

560978[/snapback]

And taken from the topic that inspired this thread -

So passive aggressive. Typical of Brit Posford fans.

560977[/snapback]

A two-pronged attack. The textbook pincer movement. How cruel. :(

Hehe, but seriously, yeah, you hyped it up, as did many others, I think it's a natural thing to do when one feels passionately about an artist. I'll likely do the same when Younger Brother or Ott are about to release their next album. It's difficult keeping enthusiasm in check sometimes.

And taken from the topic that inspired this thread -

A two-pronged attack. The textbook pincer movement. How cruel.  :(

Hehe, but seriously, yeah, you hyped it up, as did many others, I think it's a natural thing to do when one feels passionately about an artist. I'll likely do the same when Younger Brother or Ott are about to release their next album. It's difficult keeping enthusiasm in check sometimes.

560992[/snapback]

Hey you were using Bonetti's Defense against me, so you therefore forced me to attack with Capa Ferro. :)

Oh, I'll be psyched about Younger Brother and Ott, too. But if and when a new Hallucinogen comes out, I will stalk and harrass you. :)

560717[/snapback]

Depends who wrote the view or gave the recommendation. If I think they generally have similar taste to me I might follow their advice. If they don't then I wouldn't.

I heard their previous stuff. It was def better than most of the other Finnish stuff but still to wacky to really connect. I'm not saying that prog. trance is the substitute for me. I really like wacky soundscapes and sonic experimentation. It's just i find much more content music in other musical genres. IDM for example. Apparat's Duplex album has much wackier sounds than Psykovsky or Kindzadza ever will, but he does it so much more harmoniously and with much more music in the head. I fear that most of nowadays producers wish only to move speed driven freaks on the dancefloor, which explains the current 150+ fad.

I am really open minded but i just can't find any feeling or sense in this music.

560952[/snapback]

So it's not that randomness/weird sounds that put you off, if you can listen to IDM such Apparat or Richard Devine or Autechre etc etc ;)

I also would not call Derango e.g random. There are certainly patterns followed their and some melodic parts too.

about KaSol - Fairytale album.. some tracks are pretty much psychedelic goa[the

'light' part of the album].. Personally I enjoy the whole album. It's neither full-on nor 150+BMP madness. :huh: it's around the 140 area..

I would also like to hear your opinion on Schlabbaduerst Rekkords 6 , the chill/downtempo album... :)

Yes, i enjoy the weird IDM stuff like Autechre for instance. I didn't find anything melodic about Ka Sol and Derango, sorry.

As for Schlabbaduerst Rekkords, i don't bother to check at all. All i heard from them aside some very nice (mostly old) BOTFB stuff are totally inaudible for me. Didn't check their chillout but i'm guessing it will suck as well.

Yes, i enjoy the weird IDM stuff like Autechre for instance. I didn't find anything melodic about Ka Sol and Derango, sorry.

As for Schlabbaduerst Rekkords, i don't bother to check at all. All i heard from them aside some very nice (mostly old) BOTFB stuff are totally inaudible for me. Didn't check their chillout but i'm guessing it will suck as well.

561946[/snapback]

Derango, I might understand, but are you sure you haven't found any melodies in KaSol ? :ph34r:

Didn't check their chillout but i'm guessing it will suck as well.

give it a try. But not by saying to yourself 'it sux it sux it sux' when listening to it :D

I can hear melodies in derango tunes,but its not the typical iraelian "reach for the stars and smile silly" melodies,when i listen to a derango tune for ex. I make up my own demented little melodies from what i hear,so much going on in derangos music and thats on reason i like that project.just listen and take it as you want.

I can hear melodies in derango tunes,but its not the typical iraelian "reach for the stars and smile silly" melodies,when i listen to a derango tune for ex. I make up my own demented little melodies from what i hear,so much going on in derangos music and thats on reason i like that project.just listen and take it as you want.

561973[/snapback]

Yeap, there are certainly melodic patterns :)

Also there are some clear melodies at certain parts, e.g boomorgon RMX or secret surroundings etc.