Bashing Psytrance

Otto Matta

Regarding the herd mentality study topic, I find it interesting to go to other forums for other types of music I like and see psytrance get ripped to shreds. I can't mention it at, say, an IDM or electro forum without a bunch of people dissing me for liking it. Then again, most people have only heard IM and Hallucinogen - the popular stuff - so they really have no context (if I'd only heard these two, I'd probably dis the genre, too). But I try to explain that the genre is fairly broad and that there are some really interesting things being done, and have been done in the past. It doesn't help. People get set in their ways, I guess.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the herd mentality study topic, I find it interesting to go to other forums for other types of music I like and see psytrance get ripped to shreds. I can't mention it at, say, an IDM or electro forum without a bunch of people dissing me for liking it. Then again, most people have only heard IM and Hallucinogen - the popular stuff - so they really have no context (if I'd only heard these two, I'd probably dis the genre, too). But I try to explain that the genre is fairly broad and that there are some really interesting things being done, and have been done in the past. It doesn't help. People get set in their ways, I guess.

437285[/snapback]

I second that

You really are relentless in your contempt for Hallucinogen but I don't wanna go there again, I'm getting tired and have not the strength to argue.

I do know where you're coming from though, as a folk and alternative country, yes country, lover I often experience similar dissing. As you say, people hear a few tunes from any given genre and immediately judge the whole scene based on those tracks.

437285[/snapback]

people can like whatever they want.

you can dislike IM and Hallu cause they're popular!

The point is, it doesn't matter.

this topic should be executed.

And that has nothing to do eith that I'm syoned and drunk! :ph34r:

I find your work at it's best when your pished and stoned.

437313[/snapback]

My anglish teacher has always said: ehwn "it" owens somethign, it's "its".

I dunno"!

I probably shouldn't post riht now!

My anglish teacher has always said: ehwn "it" owens somethign, it's "its".

I dunno"!

I probably shouldn't post riht now!

437315[/snapback]

You corrected me while pissed and stoned. Oh the shame of it all.

I know many people and even friends that say psytrance is bad, but they don´t know like what it sounds. If i want that someone have a listen to psytrance he says that he don´t wanna listen but then how can he know that psytrance is bad? I noticed that most psytrance haters are in the Hiphop scene because they´ter arrugant and don´t alow anything but Hiphop. If i want infect someone with psytrance i play him something from spiritzone because it´s melodic and very light,

437285[/snapback]

Do you understand why your post failed?

Hallucinogen was one of the artists that got me into it... I remember way back, being an EDM fan, and nabbing MP3s from a site called The Temple. Back in those days disk space wasn't so plentiful... I remember coming to a junction and nuking all the Astral while saving everything Posford was responsible for :ph34r: mind you I'm a rare sort - I think his productions are stellar, but I don't worship him like a god.

To address the real question here however... I find it's less and less as time goes on. People are realizing that there is somethingly seriously going on here. I still get bugged by ignorant fucks about the trance association, but we can blame DJ Tiesticle for that. Change happens slowly... it just so happens that I think several other "popular" forms of EDM are creative dead-ends but psytrance never ceases to amaze me... and the thing is, when I take a step back and I put myself in the new listeners shoe's... it's overwhelming. What quality! It just goes to show that I'm probably way too biased :) but in observing what people have to say... psytrance is becoming one of the more respected genres of EDM these days - it's what a lot of people turn to when they get bored of the rest and want the full experience.

437285[/snapback]

well i issually find it works best slip them acid as they sleep and then lock them in a room with a really loud boom box playing pie trance... that's initiation... they did it too me and i will do it to you too if i get the chance... :)

People who almost exclusively stick to a certain narrow category and bash other music without decent knowledge... I don't take them for serious music lovers so I don't care about their opinions.

437326[/snapback]

Agreed, but not everyone who bashes nowadays psy doesn't know what they're blabbering about. Some people have sensitive ears. Getting them to listen to say Triesto or what is his name, mediocre psy or to punk is torture to them. Compare it to being on hallucinogen drug 101. Some people literally have that 'gift' all the time.

I happen to live with such person, both a blessing and a curse. Leads to me listening to C=64 and Amiga mods when she's doing groceries and the like. Also, i'm never completely sure what CD i should buy for her.

Besides all this i guess most would agree that there's so much mediocre music on the market nowadays. This is true for a lot of genres and it used to be mostly untrue for the genre in question. To me its not worth the time and hassle of spitting through the vinyl rack in a store anymore.

Do you understand why your post failed?

437330[/snapback]

Yes, if it matters. But that's the reality. People have generally only heard the popular stuff, and make a broad decision based on that. I would be one of those people bashing Psytrance had I not heard more than just the popular stuff.

However, looking back, I have to admit both Juno Reactor and Pleiadians were huge in my getting hooked, so perhaps I'm being hypocritical.

But that's not really the point of this topic. The point is, it's interesting to see how easy it is for people to set up walls against something they don't know much about, or have had a brief experience with. I do it. We probably all do it to some extent, and not just with music either. At some point you just have to stop trying to educate people who don't want to be educated - I certainly don't want some dude trying to force hip hop on me, for example - and just let people do what they do.

My complaints about Posford and his fandom are more for fun, are more about the principle of the matter than anything else. I'm trying to send a small, humor-laden ripple through a giant, unstoppable wave, and it has no other effect than to make me feel gratified.

well i issually find it works best slip them acid as they sleep and then lock them in a room with a really loud boom box playing pie trance... that's initiation... they did it too me and i will do it to you too if i get the chance...  :)

437371[/snapback]

RAH please initiate me i am ready!!!!! :)

I know many people and even friends that say psytrance is bad, but they don´t know like what it sounds. If i want that someone have a listen to psytrance he says that he don´t wanna listen but then how can he know that psytrance is bad? I noticed that most psytrance haters are in the Hiphop scene because they´ter arrugant and don´t alow anything but Hiphop. If i want infect someone with psytrance i play him something from spiritzone because it´s melodic and very light,

437322[/snapback]

Irony is you are similarly narrow-minded cuz you are arrogant and dont allow anything from hiphop..//

i could give you e.g 10 good albums to check but i doubt you would do it anyways

you should

1)Open Your Mind

2)Open Your Ears

or

1)Open Your Ears

2)Open Your Mind

dont know what's going first

I always feel protective of radi, I don't know why. In this case it's probably because I also strongly dislike hip hop. I just can't identify with the music, it only conjures annoyance and irritation in me.

I always feel protective of radi, I don't know why. In this case it's probably because I also strongly dislike hip hop. I just can't identify with the music, it only conjures annoyance and irritation in me.

437843[/snapback]

Why does it do that to you?

437843[/snapback]

I hope that on the what do you listen thread was a joke! Btw i don´t like hiphop at all because they only sing shit in the songs and most people, especially the fucking poberty kids think they and hiphop are the best and don´t allow anything but hiphop

Irony is you are similarly narrow-minded cuz you are arrogant and dont allow anything from hiphop..//

i could give you e.g 10 good albums to check but i doubt you would do it anyways

you should

1)Open Your Mind

2)Open Your Ears

or

1)Open Your Ears

2)Open Your Mind

437839[/snapback]

bullshit, i don´t know how old are you but i´am still going to school and know exactly how are the kids that listen hiphop, for most of them it don´t matter that people are killed every day or that the environment gets worse and worse with taht day, i can call another 50 points about the hiphop generation that are bad and because this i hate people, the kids do what the texts in the hiphop songs are aobut and this is very very poor.

437322[/snapback]

you should

1)Open Your Mind

2)Open Your Ears

or

1)Open Your Ears

2)Open Your Mind

437839[/snapback]

I hope that on the what do you listen thread was a joke! Btw i don´t like hiphop at all because they only sing shit in the songs and most people, especially the fucking poberty kids think they and hiphop are the best and don´t allow anything but hiphop

437854[/snapback]

Breathe and reply.

437854[/snapback]

Uhh. Not only kids listen to rap or hiphop. Heck, would you argue only kids listen to the radio? When you get out of school and get a job you're not a kid anymore neither are your co-workers. Yet you'll probably have to listen to radio on your job. I leave it up to you what music you're going to be listening to. Hint: not the music you are listening to right now.

What you describe is the genre "gangster rap". Not all rap is "gangster rap". Try Eminen for example. He has humor, doesn't rap about fscking a ho or shooting a bitch, and he's just damn good of a rapper (IMO). There's far more out there. For example, there are quite a few funny raps about geeky computer stuff. I know some people who like goa and dislike most of the new psy yet they're able to appreciate rap like that.

Uhh. Not only kids listen to rap or hiphop. Heck, would you argue only kids listen to the radio? When you get out of school and get a job you're not a kid anymore neither are your co-workers. Yet you'll probably have to listen to radio on your job. I leave it up to you what music you're going to be listening to. Hint: not the music you are listening to right now.

What you describe is the genre "gangster rap". Not all rap is "gangster rap". Try Eminen for example. He has humor, doesn't rap about fscking a ho or shooting a bitch, and he's just damn good of a rapper (IMO). There's far more out there. For example, there are quite a few funny raps about geeky computer stuff. I know some people who like goa and dislike most of the new psy yet they're able to appreciate rap like that.

437864[/snapback]

eminem=moaning bitch

I dont like eminem. he's one of the many responsible for hiphop turning into POP[it's Pop music nowadays, similarly that mostly todays "psy" is also "pop"...]

personally..

if i was to recommend something intelligent and musically interestng from the hiphop genre it would be :

MOS DEF - BLACK ON BOTH SIDES

TALIB KWELI & HI-TEK - REFLECTION ETERNAL (TRAIN OF THOUGHTS)

ANTI-POP CONSORTIUM - ARRYTHMIA (WARP RECORDS)

ATMOSPHERE - GOD LOVES UGLY

Prefuse - One Word Extiguisher [WARP RECORDS, experimental]

Big L - Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous [old street hiphop,great skillz]

Juggaknots - Clear Blue Skies (perfect)

AESOP ROCK - FLOAT

Phi Life Cypher - Metaphor [ UK Hiphop]

I rarely listen to these nowadays cuz i am exploring other genres now but i like them nevertheless...