"Dark" Psy

Guest The Journey Man Project

instead you could ask yourself: what is dark psychedelic trance?

or even better, what is it to me?

that's why i hate all these boxes....

IMO there's only good music, and bad music. all the rest is just bollocks for people trying to fit in a box. and when they don't seem to fit in anymore, they try and name the box differently.....

fuck boxes! think circles!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

instead you could ask yourself: what is dark psychedelic trance?

or even better, what is it to me?

that's why i hate all these boxes....

IMO there's only good music, and bad music. all the rest is just bollocks for people trying to fit in a box. and when they don't seem to fit in anymore, they try and name the box differently.....

fuck boxes! think circles!

405560[/snapback]

i dont have to ask those questions to myself i know what my deffination of dark psychedelic trance is.

no..no..no more "versus"threads please....its enoff with that full on disscusion thats been going on latly......im sick of it.

405538[/snapback]

thus far, this thread is turning into a versus thread =] "i know what this is" but the other guy also "knows what this is" which is different from what the first guy knew it as. tis all i'm saying.

i myself, think like many others, if its good it's good. but i have yet to find much post-2002 stuff i really enjoy :-/

Aaron

if you don't like the orginal topic, don;t post here. I have all the cd's maxx mentioned, yes they are nice, but they no longer make music, so time to move on.

I've always disliked the russian style dark psy but I have given Ghreg on Earth and Derango albums some listens and I actually started to really like them. They _are_ dark, not _hard_, but _dark_. Which is nice. Cause KinDzaDza is just too much for me :D

These artists made me believe that atmosphaeric darkness still excists in psytrance :)

I've always disliked the russian style dark psy but I have given Ghreg on Earth and Derango albums some listens and I actually started to really like them. They _are_ dark, not _hard_, but _dark_. Which is nice. Cause KinDzaDza is just too much for me :D

These artists made me believe that atmosphaeric darkness still excists in psytrance :)

405642[/snapback]

closing yourself to options because you don't like 'russian' psy trance is limiting yourself. There is a great amount music coming form those corners on Russian Labels... Insomnia and Deja Vu still stand strong with their productions, and Vertigo surprices now and again.

I recommend you give Samadhi, Furious, Freaking and Transdriver a go before totally closing yourself up, just cause it came form Russia:

V/A - Namaste From Russia, and v/a Kill f... Bill and V/A Invisible Incursion is a good example of what i'm talking about.

:)

Datakult... vs Infect Insect... that track on Psychiatric Hospital Ahead has an awesome melody that has been ripped straight of Sandman's early tracks... itonly lasts for like 20 seconds, but it is awesome!!

closing yourself to options because you don't like 'russian' psy trance is limiting yourself. There is a great amount music coming form those corners on Russian Labels... Insomnia  and Deja Vu still stand strong with their productions, and Vertigo surprices now and again.

I recommend you give Samadhi, Furious, Freaking and Transdriver a go before totally closing yourself up, just cause it came form Russia:

V/A - Namaste From Russia, and v/a Kill f... Bill and V/A Invisible Incursion is a good example of what i'm talking about.

:)

405704[/snapback]

You are probably right..

I'll take my time and check some of that out.

"check out some real dark psy.......

cydonia-in fear of a red planet

much better then todays so called dark psy bullshit......"

Darshan - Awakening

Delta - Scizoeffective

Slide - Unstable

V/A - Black Rhino

how can you not like ghreg on earth then? if his stuff was 6 years older he would surely be putting stuff out on atomic.

406026[/snapback]

Because if it was released 6 years ago it would surely be released on Atomic. :P

Darshan - Awakening

Delta - Scizoeffective

Slide - Unstable

V/A - Black Rhino

Because if it was released 6 years ago it would surely be released on Atomic.  :P

406065[/snapback]

I love awakening. I find it totally simplified-tech-dark-psy :> I love the mysterious sci-fi atmosphere, it's kind of like twilight zone meets star trek or something. HEH! I don't know how else to describe it, that's the way I remember it and I remember that I love it. (funny cause I have the Awakening "release" poster on my wall above my computers :))

"A brilliant piece of work" - Robert Miles

I hate Robert Miles :-/ But that's a quote on the poster. :)

Aaron

check out some real dark psy.......

cydonia-in fear of a red planet

sandman-witchcraft

xenomorph-cassandras nightmare/qlippoth

darshan/awakening

psychaos/cause and effect

much better then todays so called dark psy bullshit......

405477[/snapback]

Wow... with exception to the last one, I totally agree! I'd add the first two Dark Soho albums, The Delta (first album) and Penta - Pentifiles, and it does NOT get much better than that!

I found the psychaos about as exciting as the latest Paul Oakenfold mix... it was like a bad version fo the prodigy... LAme breaksbeats and shitty try hard trance...

Wow... I totally agree! I'd add the first two Dark Soho albums, and Penta - Pentifiles and that's it.  ;)

406164[/snapback]

You know, I've been wanting to hear Cassandra's nightmare for ages. Unfortunately I've never had ANY luck WHATSOEVER locating a copy of it :( and when it's on eBay it goes for amounts way over my head for ANY music :)

The Sandman - Witchcraft album is on my top 5 list of recommended listening material, dark or not. :) You have Alex Grey's cover art which is fantastic and then you have Sandman who produced some of my favorite music I've ever heard.

Aaron

I've often wondered if Witchcraft album was released in the psytrance scene because Israel didn;t have any industrial labels? It sounds way more industrial than trance, like FLA or Front 242

I've often wondered if Witchcraft album was released in the psytrance scene because Israel didn;t have any industrial labels? It sounds way more industrial than trance, like FLA or Front 242

406190[/snapback]

Witchcraft was released on Matsuri Productions (UK) in 1998 and prior to that Sandman had releases on Symbiosis (1996) and TIP (1997), both well known UK based psy-trance labels. There are however connections between trance and industrial, so that might not be too strange. Listen to Slide's Unstable, UX' Ultimate Experience, anything by Kris Kylven, some Psy-Harmonics releases etc, all labelled as psy-trance but the industrial edge is certainly there.

Guest Elysium

Witchcraft was released on Matsuri Productions (UK) in 1998 and prior to that Sandman had releases on Symbiosis (1996) and TIP (1997), both well known UK based psy-trance labels. There are however connections between trance and industrial, so that might not be too strange. Listen to Slide's Unstable, UX' Ultimate Experience, anything by Kris Kylven, some Psy-Harmonics releases etc, all labelled as psy-trance but the industrial edge is certainly there.

406197[/snapback]

The big difference is just that those mentioned artists released quality whereas the majority of the today's dark psy i have heard (of course i have not heard it all) is not at all in the same league.

The big difference is just that those mentioned artists released quality whereas the majority of the today's dark psy i have heard (of course i have not heard it all) is not at all in the same league.

406204[/snapback]

Sad but true

You know, I've been wanting to hear Cassandra's nightmare for ages. Unfortunately I've never had ANY luck WHATSOEVER locating a copy of it :( and when it's on eBay it goes for amounts way over my head for ANY music :)

406166[/snapback]

I think I found my copy on amazon.co.uk for a very resonable price. That was several years ago. It's impressive what occasinally pops up on that site. Cassandra's Nightmare is just evil [great] dark trance. You may be able to get some of their tracks off limewire or KaZaA if you haven't heard them in full yet, that is, until you find the album. ;) If you keep looking, you'll most likely find it at a resonable price. Good luck.

406204[/snapback]

I couldn't agree more. There was a magical quality about those albums (back then) which I feel few, if any, have achieved since.

Maybe it's because those albums came out around the time artists were inspired by goatrance, the melodies became dark, not uplifting or beautiful, but dark...

Maybe it's because those albums were so enjoyable to "just" listen to.. (not specifically listen while intended for dancing to) and now days it seems labels intend to make it super-accessible for dancing over the clever "listening" elements, (ambience, for example) thus limitiing the artist to certain non-formulatic structures, such as when the music/beat stops.. interesting atmosphere begins; sample, strange, eerie sounds or voices, etc) because that isn't dancefloor friendly.

Then again, the first two Dark Soho albums were dance floor stompers and great for "just" listening to also, so maybe it's just the talent has changed, but it has knowingly changed, meaning that there is a reason.

I feel that almost all dark psytrance albums today lack the imagination, juice, character, style, risks, and depth of the great old ones. Do these new dark psytrance artists today not realize that dark psytrance is not all about twisted psy-sounds and noises around a kickdrum? There is like a certain energy or feeling I get when listening to those [older] dark goa/psy albums that I rarely [if ever] get today.

I just think it fits so well here...

I am looking for massive, driving Dark Psy tunes, the ones you love to hear at a party. It should have some kind of melody, but a darker melody. I think a good example of what I mean should be Manibus - The Rider or Shrink - Planet X or Shift - The Face.

Thanks in advance and a happy new year! :)

i personally think people should stop being snobish and listen to the kind of 'dark psy' they like...  ;)

406289[/snapback]

i guess youre right ,everyone got there own deffination of darkpsy....... :)and no ones is bettter than somebodys else......but i dont think anyone is being snobish about it......

its just...what i think is dark maybe is totally different to somebody else.....and thats just the way it should be...

its just a matter of(dark)taste...........

i guess youre  right everyone got there own deffination of darkpsy....... :)and no ones is bettter than somebodys else......but i dont think anyone is being snobish.

406292[/snapback]

i guess you're right...

it is important to realize some of this music contains hidden depths that can't be reached without having a clouded mind. if we don't get it that don't mean other people won't...

personally i beleive that's the key point...

we all have our taste... :)