Favourites of the Scandosound

Basilisk

I don't hear this term all that often any more, but if you think back to the releases on Spiral Trax from about 2000 forward there's an indisputedly unique style being exemplified. Atmos, Noma, S>Range, and Vibrasphere all had a rather original and cohesive thing going on with their debut albums - smooth and sophisticated music ranging from pumping to tranquil. Do you have any specific favourite tracks from this era, I wonder?

I suppose a secondary topic would be - is thist stuff even made any more? I'd wager Gaudium's album may qualify for obvious reasons... but most of the artists from that old time have moved on and seemingly been absorbed into other movements. Human Blue's latest for example - would you even use the phrase 'scandosound' to refer to that one? Everyone's just talking progressive these days, and I think that is generally a more accurate representation of what most of them are doing. Somewhere along the line it began to lack the unique character that gave these Swedish maestro's such a powerful reputation in the world of trance.

Personally I'm a big fan of tracks like S>Range - Darwin Project, Noma - Another Time, and Prex - S4. I'll throw in a few more later on, but I'm interested to hear what people think.

I simply love scandosunds, they make one of the best trance music ever since the goa period.

Scandinavian goa trance was always melodic, wild, emotional and precise. Early projects like KOXBOX, COLORBOX, BYPASS UNIT, PSYGONE, MAN FROM MANTRA, MIRANDA, XPLORING INNER SPACE, HUX FLUX, ELYSIUM, PSYCHOPOD were all terrific psychedelic goa projects and their melodic constructions are great. But my favourite scandinavian goa project is and always will be BATTLE OF THE FUTURE BUDDHAS !!! But they are closely followed with KA SOL, that guy is demented ! :D

When they switched to progressive I started to enjoy in it almost as much. They are truly GODS of progressive trance genre and almost anything I've heard was stunning. Favourite progressive groups are :ATMOS, TICON, TEGMA, SON KITE, HUMAN BLUE, VIBRASPHERE, BEAT BIZARRE, REFEER DECREE, FREQ, NOMA, S-RANGE, ANDROMEDA, ORYX, and many more...they are truly one of the keepers of this style and I hope that they won't give up on this style and will progress it more and more...:)

I like Psychoactive Scandosounds 1, 2, and 3, though those comps sound nothing like the style you're talking about. I think they were made in Oerebro. :P

But my favourite scandinavian goa project is and always will be BATTLE OF THE FUTURE BUDDHAS !!!

When they switched to progressive I started to enjoy in it almost as much. They are truly GODS of progressive trance genre and almost anything I've heard was stunning.

BOTFB made progressive?? :blink: examples?

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

So many interesting scando psyartists ^_^:

-Koxbox

-Miranda

-Ominus

-Encens

-Aeternum

-Atmos

-Noma

-Matenda

-S-Range

-Vibrasphere

-Nasa

-Mindfly

-Trold

-Weirdo Beardo

-Grapes Of Wrath

-Meteloids

-Texas Faggot

-Mandalavandalz

-Squaremeat

-Haltya

-Logic Bomb

-Human Blue

-Andromeda

-Jahbo

-Derango

& probably many more..

My Favourite Scando's would be:

Vibrasphere (new cd wanted asap!!!)

Ticon (new cd this week!)

Atmos

Frogacult

Son kite (working mainly on Minilogue these days)

& Human Blue (older days)

+ Gaudium in 2005

Digital Structures, Spiral Trax & Iboga= Top-of-the-line Scando Progressive!

Another point of discussion... I don't think the term "scandosound" refers to any trance made in Scandinavia, but rather, a specific subset of it... namely the acts I mentioned. Orebro freak madness and all the rest is something different imho.

365407[/snapback]

the name scandosounds is also used for the örobro freak maddnes, at least in Belgium it is....

Another point of discussion... I don't think the term "scandosound" refers to any trance made in Scandinavia, but rather, a specific subset of it... namely the acts I mentioned. Orebro freak madness and all the rest is something different imho.

365407[/snapback]

First time I ever heard the term used was in conjunction with Transients release of VA "A Progress in Trance" which was a huge success and paved the way for scandinavias reputation in progressive psychedelic trance. Or, at the time, not so overly melody driven music. It was released 1999 http://www.discogs.com/release/121708 and I think if anything should be associated with the term "scandotrance" then this is it.

However - I dont myself see scandotrance / Scandinavian Trance as a genre really. Its just Psy / Progressive Psy made in scandinavia - and as such, its more about geography than genre really.

I dont hear many scandinavians use that term either - We say "progressive psytrance" "progressive" "psychedelic trance" "deep trance" "progressive" "progressive trance" & "Psychedelic Trance".

As you can see, Hux Flux "idiot" is on that compilation - and thats really more into the psychedelic aspect of things.

So is this just about who is your favourite scandinavian psychedelic trance artists ? :-)

Mine would be Vibrasphere - Both for the chillout and trance tracks - Son Kite is also very nice.

Also Koxbox & Saikopod & Psychopod is very good and evolving music.

If we count in finland with scandinavia (which I do even though its not correct) then Haltya/Pelinpala/Highpersonic Women deserves a place on this list, for the combination of wacky funky music, to psychedelic trance & also progressive psy tracks. And of course Kiwa, basicly for the same combo.

Sooooo

Vibrasphere

Son Kite

Koxbox

Saikopod

Psychopod

Haltya

Pelinpala

Highpersonic women

Kiwa

and yes, I know many of the acts are sideprojects :-)

There are lots of other artists who produce very good music, but these are the best and most talented ones in my eyes - Covering both chillout, full on and progressive releases - Variety and Quality and lots of it. (full on is perhaps over stating it, but 140+ bpm and psychelia) :-)

Best Wishes

Krell

However - I dont myself see scandotrance / Scandinavian Trance as a genre really. Its just Psy / Progressive Psy made in scandinavia - and as such, its more about geography than genre really.

Krell

365456[/snapback]

I see it as a gerne :I don't consider g.o.w., syntax error, meteloids, sienis, weirdo beardo, early kluster, early hux flux, derango, tamlin, alrune, vicous spiral to be darkpsy it's far more tripier .... I call it scandosounds ......wich is also different from suomi trance (texas faggott, haltya, eraser vs yöjalka,.....)

I see it as a gerne :I don't consider g.o.w., syntax error, meteloids, sienis, weirdo beardo, early kluster, early hux flux, derango, tamlin, alrune, vicous spiral to be darkpsy it's far more tripier .... I call it scandosounds  ......wich is also different from suomi trance (texas faggott, haltya, eraser vs yöjalka,.....)

365512[/snapback]

We just call it "Psychedelic Trance" mostly - some of the really REALLY weird stuff we call "gakgak" which is a danish word that you use for people who have lost their minds... I call meteloids, gow etc "dark psy", since "psychedelic trance" as a genre is too wide for me personally and I dont think its THAT wacky music really.

Gakgak is an expression about a mental state for instance. If you are "gakgak" then you are "wacko" - So, "Wacko Trance" would suit the very well. Texas Faggot etc is called "gakgak". Gak Gak is what loonatics are :-)

I dont see the aim of most of the "dark psy" or "psychedelic trance" that comes out of my area to be evil or dark - The "dark wave" is over and done with as I see it - It is as you say more trippier and not so pretentiously evil. Of couse, theres often still some mean bassline etc - but its the trip and outdoor experience thats in focus.

Then again, its not like Im some sort of spokesperson here hehehe - Im just saying what I think, which is an opinion influensed by some of the local people I chatted with :-) (I live in Aarhus, where half of the acts you mentioned are from).

The thing is - The WORD "scandotrance" or "scandianavian trance" is as stupid as the word "goa trance". For us who live here, we know that we have music in many genres which could be categorized by those words - especially given how the word was first used. This again just leads to the conclusion that "scandotrance" is only about geography.

So, perhaps it would be better to say "Twisted & Psychedelic Scandotrance" for the acts you mention there :-)

*smiles*

Krell

krell : Isee you point maybe we should call it forest music instead ....

so there is more that the parvati sound in Aarhus, that must be an exciting place to live (musically)....

365845[/snapback]

Well - CreamCrop records was also based here in Aarhus, but they closed down some time ago. In the end, it was a pure progressive label and they were still probably the main party organizer here.

It is also worth mentioning, that we have Crotus Records based here - You know, Bes´s label. It releases a bit more varied stuff, Navajo was the last release, but also Krumelur etc. Bes even made chillout tracks. I think Crotus Records could very well release any kind of music if just Bes likes it, at least I dont see the label as limiting itself that much.

CreamCrop is all but gone now - No parties, No label and you dont see their DJs participate much in lineups anymore either. However, it does not change that they did build up a progressive scene over the years, which is still very much present.

This was very much evident when Son Kite and Atmos came to play at a thursdays club here - While basicly NO ONE came for Total Eclipse on another thursday, there were at least 100-150 people attenting the progressive Atmos+Son Kite event.

Then we have Technoms & Moesgaardmen - Which is more like promotion groups, some times putting on parties. Seems its some of the same people or they work together.

There is also a organizer group called Em-Ma, which is supported by the state and creates + supports different kinds of events. Its about electronic music in general, but very often really psychedelic stuff / dark psy is planned. Like in november, we have Naked Tourist, Parasense and DJ Leptit playing at the biggest location in town (room for at least 1000 people).

Of course we have Parvati Records as well, and they have always had some part in the local scene for as long as I lived here (since 1997/98) - Back then under different names though.

On top of this, we have a healthy house scene - and also electronica, noise and other stuff. Aarhus has always been a place which holds music & art in high esteme.. I think there was a slogan once "Aarhus, the city of music" - So, its important. Still, funding can grow short with todays danish government and its expensive to put on parties here privately if your not supported.

At least for me, its a good place to be - Lots of variation and top djs & producers live here within all the genres. The scene hasnt gone all out commercial either, as in Copenhagen. Without a doubt, for electronic music Aarhus is the best place in Denmark for me.

For parties, its a bit worse than 5-10 years ago - but in regards to musicians, Djs and so forth there is more going on at a high level nowadays.

Copenhagen has lots to offer as well, theres just a lot of people living there, and therefore there are clubs every weekend - Too many parties... Quantity vs Quality. This doesnt mean there isnt a lot of people there producing different kinds of music though.

Last I can mention that me and others as (electrobeat.dk) are trying to get parties going here locally. They will mix up genres, and are intended for those who value a big amount of variation. Focus will be put on quality acts and djs.

Best Wishes

Krell

Scando Trance = :wub:

S-Range, Etnoscope (they're fukkin great though the sound is not typical scando), Koxbox/Saiko Pod, 12 Moons, Human Blue, Matenda, Vibrasphere, Atmos, Ticon, Son Kite, Noma, Chromosome ... the list is endless.

...and not to forget Carbon Based Lifeforms!!!

I LOVE SCANDO SOUNDS :wub: