About the reviews...

cangrejo

Me thinks all the people who review loads of albums are whoring atleast a little bit..

360025[/snapback]

Assumption is the mother of all fuck-ups! And when it comes to whoring - let he who is without sin, throw the first Twisted CD! :)

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go again...  It's about taste dammit - it's not my problem, that we don't like the same stuff... Psy Stories is the best thing Parvati has ever released - and the Megalopsy album was an unpredecented concept album... All in my opinion!

So please shut the fuck up with your pointless allegations unless you actually have something constructive to contribute with!

/DP

360021[/snapback]

Serenity now!

what's going on here? reviewers' war?

come on guys, really, behave.

nobody is trying to change anybody's reviewing style here.

i am happy with the way it is now, we have some nice brains here and variety.

those who disaggree or bitch, should come and bring their contribution. constructive that is.

traveller, trust me, DP is a pretty powerful guy. which doesn't NOT mean "suck-up" in my vocabulary.

i write short reviews for promotional reasons, and i don't receive promos. does that make me worse than a "suck-up"?

or does it say about me that i consider it a good release and i am encouraging people to check that artist/album/compilation?

Personally I would still like to see more variety in the reviews. No offense to anyone but at times the reviews tend to be a bit too "rosey-red". A bit of "nerve" and constructive critisism never hurt anyone. And it would surely balance things out here a bit. Now dont bite of my head. It's just the way i see things and my personal opinion. :ph34r:

Personally I would still like to see more variety in the reviews.  No offense to anyone but at times the reviews tend to be a bit too "rosey-red".  A bit of "nerve" and constructive critisism never hurt anyone.  And it would surely balance things out here a bit.  Now dont bite of my head.  It's just the way i see things and my personal opinion.  :ph34r:

360070[/snapback]

i agree but why dont you write some of your reviews as well?

the one about Squaremeat for example,... which you said you posted @ Isratrance.

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

i guess one or two of those new commers would me... well i have reviewed well over 30-35 releases since the beginning of the year and if i got more more than 6... or 7 freebies that was probably too much... i write reviews so i can share what i personally consider good music with other people... and i have no problem writing bad reviews, several labels don't speak to me anymore for that reason...

i am not really sure if that is what you were implying since, to be honest, i don't really understand what you are saying half the times...

360022[/snapback]

no i was thinking about Lauryn & Tigo for example.

I personally never red a single of your reviews as i rarely read them. But if you take it for you, please come back on earth, too much ego mate :lol:

let he who is without sin, throw the first Twisted CD!  :)

360026[/snapback]

Personally I would still like to see more variety in the reviews.  No offense to anyone but at times the reviews tend to be a bit too "rosey-red".  A bit of "nerve" and constructive critisism never hurt anyone.  And it would surely balance things out here a bit.  Now dont bite of my head.  It's just the way i see things and my personal opinion.  :ph34r:

360070[/snapback]

click

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

Here we go again...  It's about taste dammit - it's not my problem, that we don't like the same stuff... Psy Stories is the best thing Parvati has ever released - and the Megalopsy album was an unpredecented concept album... All in my opinion!

So please shut the fuck up with your pointless allegations unless you actually have something constructive to contribute with!

Hehe... Nah - mine is just a templete with tracklist/cat-numbers/links, etc... I think Profane's is too...

/DP

360021[/snapback]

i'm sorry to tell something shared by some very few others people here & on isratrance ( probably you never noticed the messages folllowing your reviews like : DP you still overact ; i can give links by pm if you want to check), ok we are a minority but we exist, i'm sorry if it hurts you but in french we're saying 'only truth hurts'.

i'm sorry to tell something shared by some very few others people here & on isratrance ( probably you never noticed the messages folllowing your reviews like : DP you still overact ; i can give links by pm if you want to check), ok we are a minority but we exist, i'm sorry if it hurts you but in french we're saying 'only truth hurts'.

360137[/snapback]

Whatever, develop your own metric of the reviews as well that the releases. That's what everyone has to do anyway. DP is indeed enthustiastic but hey, that's cuz he likes the stuff! Is it contrived? Only he would really know, and I hardly expect someone to put as much time as he does into this stuff if he didn't really find all this stuff to be a lot of fun.

Years ago you never knew who was reviewing stuff except in some circumstances... I used to read reviews here from freak51 and stormbringer and slowly sorted out that their words had more impact for me. Nothing is changed but there are a lot more reviews, and I believe the reviewers are far more consistent in the way they do things... this makes reading them a lot less trouble. I tend to take DP's reviews with a grain of salt because I'm much more picky, whereas profane and I are usually on the same page. When you get to know these things, then the reviews are helping you out, right?

Truth as a concept isn't relevant to the subjective reviewing of music. It only matters whether we are truthful with ourselves.

no i was thinking about Lauryn & Tigo for example.

I personally never red a single of your reviews as i rarely read them. But if you take it for you, please come back on earth, too much ego mate  :lol:

360096[/snapback]

:huh:

where's the ego please show me, cause i seem to have lost that part once again (maybe check the dictionary for the right word? ;) )

when you say one or two new comers that have started to review stuff i take it as myslef, cause yeah lauryn (and to be honest i have no clue who tigo is, never seen that name) review stuff here and there she hasn't pulled more than... i would say 10 reviews this year... whereas if you check in the reviews section here or at isratrance my name might pop up a bit more often. That has nothing to do with ego is just numbers. Perhaps if you would have a been a bit more explicit it would have not been so confusing. And yeah a i tend to jump on my guns at the first sight provocation... not because of my 'ego' but, because i want dispell any rumors or hidden plots behind the reviews, you seem so on intend on bringing forth...

we all know you get 100€ a grade starting from 7/10 on..

8/10 gives you 100€

9/10 200€

and 10/10 300€

it's no secret..

360195[/snapback]

i might just switch to "two thumbs up"... rah gives this release two thumbs up... and then charge a standard fee... i would say 50 € ?

how much do rogert and ebert charge you think?

being an ex-reviewer for isratrance and receiving a bunch of promos every once and a while i know what it's like to review something when the label or artists expects something from you - it's VERY hard not to be biased. so don't bullshit here about being always 100% objective in reviews - and i'm talking to all reviewers here which review promo cds. the deal is simple - a bad review and you won't get cds anymore.

anyway, i quit reviewing since i find it totally unfair and hard to write good words about something which is less than good, and then have the artist or label bug me in msn or icq or whatever "where's the review?" and then forcing myself to write something just to please them.

most of what i get is crap anyway. i'll just go and buy the music i like and if i feel like writing something i will. :)

being an ex-reviewer for isratrance and receiving a bunch of promos every once and a while i know what it's like to review something when the label or artists expects something from you - it's VERY hard not to be biased. so don't bullshit here about being always 100% objective in reviews - and i'm talking to all reviewers here which review promo cds. the deal is simple - a bad review and you won't get cds anymore.

anyway, i quit reviewing since i find it totally unfair and hard to write good words about something which is less than good, and then have the artist or label bug me in msn or icq or whatever "where's the review?" and then forcing myself to write something just to please them.

most of what i get is crap anyway. i'll just go and buy the music i like and if i feel like writing something i will. :)

360246[/snapback]

respect.

My my, I must say this thread has grown in size since I last visited. I just wanted to state my view and this is what happens. All this arguing about reviews. Oh well, arguing isn't only bad. It usually leads to something.

Anyway, I don't mean that all reviews suck, even though that is what I may have said. I really do enjoy reading the reviews, but they are lacking purpose, except for the fact that they tell people about, to them, yet undiscovered music. Although this is nice, I really can't say that the reviews have helped me in any other way. So if you spend hours perfecting a review maybe you should give it a second thought. Unless you really enjoy writing it, because then maybe you should even spend more time on it. Pleasure comes first.

The same goes for critics in any form of media. Please, tell us about the subject, but keep your opinions to yourself and let us form our own. Thanks.

Now mark well that I can only speak for myself, so the "us" should maybe be "me" instead. Any opinion expressed in this reply is mine and may very well be ignored if you wish.

I feel I must add that I like the main part of the reviews where you explain the tracks in detail, however, the part where you express your opinion or give a score is really quite pointless.

To the person who said I should write a review myself: I'm sorry, but I don't have experience in the field. I'm more experienced in reading reviews and that's what I do, not the other way around.

360246[/snapback]

i know your message was not even directed to me, but i fell compelled to talk how my experience has been personally...

mike looks like you got stuck with the wrong end of the deal there buddy, why would want to get promos of music you don't enjoy to begin with? and did they seriusly harass you online (woah!). In the very limited experience i've had writting stuff i enjoy and don't particularly enjoy i took the liberty of mailing the review to the label and i was very straight about it - "look unfortunatelly i did not enjoy this one, in my opinion it was not up to par with the first album, blah, blah... mailing you the review cause is definatelly a negative one... it's your choice if you want me to post it or not..." never heard from that label again and i don't blame them.

So now i don't go out of my way to get freebies. If i really like a cd i ussually get it, when i'm broke i might ask the label, hey... 'i have been listening to samples and this looks kick ass... i might get myself, but if you want throw your money and send a promo that'd be cool' - every now and again they say yeah, some don't even reply. I mailed a label i review consitently just let them know i was reviewing their stuff and they couln't be bothered to answer me back, with 'hey, thanks'... that did not change the fact im still buying a lot of their releases and reviewing their stuff cause i consider their music good... that is what is all about :)

the time I spend writing a review, I could instead spend working and buying at least buy a couple of CD's instead.

359896[/snapback]

Exactly... Me too... If you guys consider reviewing a job, well then it's the worst-paid job I've ever had... It takes hours and hours to write a full, complete, detailed review for me... And I could just as well spend the time working and earn more money than the actual value of the CDs... But I do it because I like it... I do it both for my personal satisfaction and future easy reference to a certain CD - but also because I like contributing to the scene... I'm very fortunate, as the vast majority of readers actually appreciate my reviews... And for that I'm grateful...

360137[/snapback]

But but but - obviously there'll always be exceptions - as the case of the eloquent Le Lotus Bleu. This guy has attacked me (and other reviewers) several times in the past, and despite him being told off by a number of people - he continues his personal vendetta towards me... I've tried explaning myself to him in a civilized manner on a number of occasions, but he sticks to his vague, personal attacks written in undecipherable Engrish - often completely disregarding my defence statements... How's that for argumentation?

How do you argue with something like that? I dunno - frankly I don't know why I still get bothered by it... I shouldn't, as this guy is basically a self-centered, jealous, self-proclaimed defender of his own imagination - and even basic arguing is futile... But oh what the hell, let's see if we can penetrate this sophisticated French armour just for once...

but in french we're saying 'only truth hurts'.

360137[/snapback]

Oh my - aren't you quite the philosopher now? How long did it take you to come up with that one? I take it, you're versed in literature - why don't you look up what Dante Alighieri has to say about l'envie!?

probably you never noticed the messages folllowing your reviews like : DP you still overact ; i can give links by pm if you want to check

360137[/snapback]

No need to use PM. I've got nothing to hide. Of course I realize that not everyone likes my reviews - and I was never expecting that... It is about taste, and taste is individual - which pretty much is the main reason I simply cannot understand your allegations in the first place...

It's not my problem that you don't like the first Etic album as much as I do... Or found the same joy in the newest Parvati album as I did... So fucking what? -You accuse everyone who think so, of brown-nosing the labels? Dude - if that's the case, you're the most narrow-minded person I've ever encountered in my life...

If I had a Engrish translator and loads of time, I might actually go thru your many write-ups - and attack every single one of them that I didn't agree with! You liked the Tri-Force album - I didn't. Now, does that entitle me to launch a personal attack on you and accuse you of whoring? Of course not - but that's what you're doing with me!? A quick glimpse at your reviews also reveals that the vast majority is well above 8/10 - what gives? Is this a case for Sherlock Holmes, or do you not just not practice what you preach? There's a word for that: Hypocrite!

And one last thing: Please do not pull you usual crap, when replying to this post. Don't just slag it off with a fast, short answer of perceptivity... I think you owe me at least backing your statements and putting some weight behind your words. Thank you!

DP is indeed enthustiastic but hey, that's cuz he likes the stuff! Is it contrived? Only he would really know, and I hardly expect someone to put as much time as he does into this stuff if he didn't really find all this stuff to be a lot of fun.

Truth as a concept isn't relevant to the subjective reviewing of music. It only matters whether we are truthful with ourselves.

360152[/snapback]

Well said - and thank you... As we've talked about before, my "tweak" is that I have very, very broad tastes... I like pretty much all styles! So yes, I like most styles - but certainly not everything released within all genres... For instance, you don't see me reviewing much Israeli neo full-on - simply because of the fact, that the labels know I will bash it! So in that sense I'm very lucky - I only receive promos from labels I pretty much know I like... But I still take great pride in telling it like it is... And that goes for every single review I've ever written... Of course, I was young and unexperienced once, but in recent years I refrain from painting those rosey red pictures EP referred to...

it's VERY hard not to be biased. so don't bullshit here about being always 100% objective in reviews - and i'm talking to all reviewers here which review promo cds. the deal is simple - a bad review and you won't get cds anymore.

360246[/snapback]

Well, you're right to some extend... But not about the "a bad review and you won't get any more CDs"... Check my history of Trancelucent Production reviews - or Spiral Trax - or ELF Music - or Dance N Dust - or Candyflip - or Cosmic Leaf Records... And the list goes one... All labels with releases which I've given a mediocre or bad review in 2005... But it was constructive criticism, and the label owners appreciated that - hence I still review their releases...

The same goes for critics in any form of media. Please, tell us about the subject, but keep your opinions to yourself and let us form our own. Thanks.

360261[/snapback]

Ha ha ha... Oh wait, are you actually serious?

/DP

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

I agree with Mike A about the decreasing quality of releases that doesn't motivate to keep going reviewing them.