Autechre

Oopie

Yes yes yes! Autechre is almost like musical art. Or well... to me it is art. Just awesome stuff from their early mix-tapes of hiphop to todays stuff. It's all quality in it's purest form. Their like gods to me, just like Simon is to trävelörgh and cinos. :)

I can't get bored with their stuff even if I tried really. True pioneers of IDM/Electronica field is how I would describe them. :)

What you think of them?

Posted Image

ps. here's véry well made interview which should be interesting to all fans of Autechre. :) And those who don't know AE yet, this article could give you some nice info.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr04/articles/autechre.htm

Well, I don't worship them as you, but I do find them as one of the most prominent and creative artists in Electronica/IDM genre.

They have unique mixture of mechanic and distorted music with insane breaks and twisted arrangements. I like their Tri Repetae double album as TRUE MASTERPIECE...Fantastic ! :)

me like! I think it is their 2 or 3 earlist albums I dig most.

in similar style is Monolake that I like even better. has anyone heard their Cinemascope album? fantastic!

in similar style is Monolake that I like even better. has anyone heard their Cinemascope album? fantastic!

311233[/snapback]

Check out some early topics, we already had discussion about Monolake, I like them so much, I have 6 of their albums and they are all great, especially Cinemascope and Hong Kong... ;)

I lost touch after draft 7.3... besides a few good songs in that one their stuff is too... incoherent... ?

311234[/snapback]

Yeah, I even dislike Draft 7.3, it's not only incoherent but boring and uninspiring... :(

311233[/snapback]

Fääään-tastic it is, true! :)

Monolake is hmmm... more ambient-ish for sure but they do make splendid music.

I'm not trying to defend AE any way here, but I think calling AE's newest stuff uninspiring and boring is a bit exaggerated.

Different music needs different approach... and there many go wrong, expecting something and then getting something else.

I always try to think what artist has tried to do and then it's much easier to get a good perspective towards that music.

I recommend that article I gave, reading that really tells a lot of autechre and about their music.

:)

never heard of them sorry  :(

311241[/snapback]

You're forgiven :) Try out if you feel like listening to something else :)

They're ok.

311244[/snapback]

Hey whouw! Saying something I worship is ok by a guy like you makes my day! :D

I really thought it's gonna be some bashing all the way down again but nice to see I'm totally wrong!

Autechre.... :)

I love all their discography,older and newer.My favorite album is Amber but i also love Draft 7.30.My favorites EPs:Envane and Basscadet remixes(especially Basscadubmx is owwwhhhhaaaa).Damn this guys used to make fantastic deep psychedelia and their newer stuff are extremely intelligent and mind-smashing.Big respect to Autechre.

Hey whouw! Saying something I worship is ok by a guy like you makes my day! :D

I really thought it's gonna be some bashing all the way down again but nice to see I'm totally wrong!

311246[/snapback]

Teartear and Windwind are quite tasty pieces.

I don't know their music but I went to see them live... didn't find it all that exciting really. Crazy - sure... interesting, only marginally.

It was bizarre seeing an entire room of people not dancing at a party... just stroking their chins.

311327[/snapback]

Well, to be fair, they're notorious for making their live sets so abstract and complex it's more sound art than music - they pretty much never ever play album tracks live, it's all speciallymade for the live performances. At Roskilde this year they played very danceable stuff though, I'm told.

is it just me, or does "darker" artists (like Autechre and Monolake) tend to be more artsy? if you agree, why do you think it is so?

my definition of artsy = artists that has a vision that each sound and beat is striving for. call it concept if you will. the counter-artsy artists would be someone who rather 'design' music for a purpose, it could be background music to smoking dope, cutting the lawn, doin your laundry, dancing .. or whatever.

----------

btw, Au-tek-er .. is that how your pronounce it? :D I've always said AUT-EKRE. it's a stopid name anyway <_<

311233[/snapback]

Monolake similar to Autechre? What planet are you from, NilsTentacles?

I find their music very different, starting from their earliest work. Indeed, Monolake's first CD has much more in common with the other Chain Reaction artist releases (most of which was 4/4 techno) than with the British duo.

I enjoy (and recommend) both groups, generally preferring their latest stuff to the earliest.

Incidentally, I personally detest the name 'Intelligent Dance Music (IDM)' as a label for a music genre. It belongs to that class of silly labels (such as 'trip hop') which are perfectly expendable. But at least it is a better name than what Richard James's Rephlex tried to give to this sort of music - 'brain dance'. Ugh!

Pedro

My favourite Autechre album: Incunabula. Just great..

I still haven't heard their latest few albums, it takes time to get familiar with this kinda stuff.

311431[/snapback]

you can't get familiar with their newer stuff, in my opinion :)

I mean, they've developed they're sound into extreme measure of weird noises and there's not SINGLE recognizeable part in their newest album, or I could say that almost from their few other recent cds too.

But that's not a bad thing, quite the opposite! It's so nice when I put 'Untilted' on my cd player and it's always like a first time... and it's also very 'hard to get' music so you gotta be patient... but that's the charm with these fellows really :)

ps. Incunabula... I probably don't have to say it's very good album. :) At that point they still used to make recognizeable stuff...with melodies! :blink: