beatless ambient

moni

Beatless ambient?

Well ambient is supposed to have no beat you know.

305184[/snapback]

everybody understands what i ment by "beatless ambient". you don't need to tell me what is "supposed". especially with all the variety of combinations used in music today, "supposed" is kinda fading away in music production.

ok, i have read all your posts.

usually, when i get home in the evening, after a lame day of work and stress, sometimes i switch on the computer, check online stuff and friends. then do stuff around in the house, but music is playing in the background all the time.

no matter how stressed i am, i never listen to chillout or ambient music in order to relax. i find my energy in psytrance (usually melodic stuff, or stuff that i consider "smart" psy), in discovering new sounds, in finding more about psy music.

i guess i relax in other ways. :)

i'll relax when i sleep. i'll sleep when i'm dead. i'll die when i'm done. :D:huh::)

nevertheless, i will check some albums recommendations from you guys. that's valuable info. thanks.

hopefully i will manage to really pay attention to beatless ambient and feel it.

till then, long live the beats! well, that includes rythm too.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

personally i am not much into beatless ambient. i find it too simple for the brain, easy to produce, boring, sometimes longish and annoying.

maybe i just don't get it?

so here are my questions:

why do you like it?

do you like it when sober or when stoned or both?

so please, feel free to praise beatless ambient, describe it with your own words, tell me what effects it has on you (body and brain), maybe even give me your favourite beatless ambient tune.

304838[/snapback]

I'm not a big fan of it either. I only like Zvuki's ambient so far. It's perfect to put on when you want to take a nap or have a hangover :) Try to get Zvuki Belovodya's album. I think you know where to get it :rolleyes:

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

Generally (not all) ambient tunes got some rythmic part (quite experimental most of time though), take Biosphere-Novelty Waves as example , it has even been selected as soundtrack for a jean tv advertising 10 years ago :)

beatless ambient is good for sometimes

it goes to the background and fills up the space without you recognizing it

sometimes you forget that it is playing

and then a little change happens and you understand that your brain was actually keeping track

my favourite beatless ambients

sonic mandalas

and most brian eno works

biosphere

and i prefer it sober when working sometimes, writing or drawing

and helped me find a way out of some heavy trips so i think both states of mind

I love "beatless ambient" more than "ambient with beats". Just because it's so relaxing. You can really travel to places in your mind when listening to well made ambient. That is if you concentrate on the music. On the other hand it can be only backround music, ambience, like Brian Eno "designed" it to.

Some albums I like:

Wabi (it's not completely beatless but it can be counted in here)

Robert Rich & Brian Lustmord - Stalker (of course)

Dystopia - The Second Dawn

Siniaalto - Siniaalto

Temps Perdu? - Terra Incognita

Vidna Obmana - The Spiritual Bonding

everything by Biosphere

And from the older times:

Klaus Schulze - Mirage

Tangerine Dream - Phaedra

personally i am not much into beatless ambient. i find it too simple for the brain, easy to produce, boring, sometimes longish and annoying.

maybe i just don't get it?

so here are my questions:

why do you like it?

do you like it when sober or when stoned or both?

so please, feel free to praise beatless ambient, describe it with your own words, tell me what effects it has on you (body and brain), maybe even give me your favourite beatless ambient tune.

You probably "just don't get it" as you say it.

Seriously. My favourite tune - well ,this is already beyond favourite as this tune is so magical I find it totally impossible to put my feelings to words as I heard this first and still I can feel this wonderful magical feeling when hearing it - is SMIRI SE by Matenda and that's actually nothing other than beatless ambient for it has not a single kick nor a single bassline bit. Just floating. Yes, that's it ... the beatlessness makes it sound floating, like if I was flying or if there was energy flowing ... gently, steadily flowing flowing, no harsh breaks or any beat, nothing, just the flow of energy, just this great flow of energy which will forever go on and on ... the cycle of life actually ... and ... well, I'm going too far already...

You just don't get it...

Beatless Psy Ambient kick ass!

It's the perfect kind of ambient to relax and travel. You juct close your eyes and go to another dimensions

BTW my 3 fav beatless ambient tracks:

FSOL-Domain

LOS-Slime Into The Sound

Optic Eye-Anacoluthon

You probably "just don't get it" as you say it.

Seriously. My favourite tune - well ,this is already beyond favourite as this tune is so magical I find it totally impossible to put my feelings to words as I heard this first and still I can feel this wonderful magical feeling when hearing it - is SMIRI SE by Matenda and that's actually nothing other than beatless ambient for it has not a single kick nor a single bassline bit. Just floating. Yes, that's it ... the beatlessness makes it sound floating, like if I was flying or if there was energy flowing ... gently, steadily flowing flowing, no harsh breaks or any beat, nothing, just the flow of energy, just this great flow of energy which will forever go on and on ... the cycle of life actually ... and ... well, I'm going too far already...

You just don't get it...

308524[/snapback]

let's say beatless ambient just doesn't make me float :D so ye, i probably just don't get it :)

anyway, i will check some of the tracks people put here, and read their posts again.

For a long-long time I couldn't chill properly with music that had (too) many beats in it. As for ambient I can say that I grew up with IDM-like ambient: Aphex Twin, Autechre, BoC, Brian Eno, Steve Roach and so on. Ambient (and most chill) has to be beatless in the first place, imo. I could not stand duby tunes for more then 5 minutes :)

Just not so long ago I began to understand (like) dub and all that stuff, but still, after partys or if I'm very tired I put on floating sounds without these agressive beats saying boom boom :)

anyway, i will check some of the tracks people put here, and read their posts again.

would be cool ... I'd really be interested in what you would think of Smiri Se for example :rolleyes:

I'm sure I mentioned these a couple of times :P

Tetsu Inoue - Chill in Chill out

Tetsu Inoue - Ring of Power

not entirely beatless and the tunes take time to develop

but my god, it's so good and beautiful... how can anyone not like this, it's impossible

just relax and LISTEN

It's not ment to "beat" anything, its just ment to exist. It's actually just a feeling that i wanted to express, and when i saw this topic "beatless ambient" i got the idea how to express it without really trying. But is this "ambient" anyway? I dont know.

So, to compair different styles aint really healthy. One should listen to something and accept it for what it is. You might like something else better because it creates specific feelings within you. Most often the song creates the feeling, and, well, i dont really find that enjoyable. I could call that a "commercial" song because it is made for you to like it (i'm just speaking in "you" therme, this could be anyone ofcours) and not for it to like you. If on the other hand the song actually likes you, then the feelings that emerge are your own. But most people perfere to have songs made for them, because our brain is full of so many other issues so if it can, it lets things be done for us, even something as important as our own feelings. It's just easier.

Back to the point. Adding beats to a track can make it very easy to listen to. Most often we humans have this supressed stress that we are trying to deal with subconscious. Beats are often a good therapy for this stress. We dont really think of the beat, its just a background, but it fits in to the stress and i belive that they work on the same "wavelenght". So, to give you a new perspective of beatless music overall, try to think of it as this: This is probably made under a minimum level of stress. When you listen to it, try to relate to the creators feelings. Automatic (you probably wont even notice it) these feelings will find its relation to your own experiences and start creating real actuall feelings that comes from inside you.

Fancy hard music with catchy melodies are perfect for a party when you just want to drink and have a good time, but its not real. It's an illusion created by ourselves out of our "idea" of having a good time. So, we are even pressured to have a good time, and its all under stress. Adrennalin for example is related to habing a good time because it creates a sort of temporary rush that we enjoy.

All in all, catcy party music is a good party drug. But i think that in our every-day-life we should try to relax more and look more into ourselves insdead of trying to hide behind all these beats. Save these kicks untill the next party, that will make the effect of them even greater. I know that it can be hard to just sit down, close your eyes and listen to some straight tone going on for 10 minutes only variating by shifting in room/reverb effects, but if you manage to let the stress go you will find that it's not really about the music, it's about yourself.

Just chill...

Guest The Journey Man Project

Beatless ambient is pretty simple in what it exists for... ambeint in general seems to be a more emotional or ezperimental approach to electronic or world music. Beatless ambient takes this one step further by taking away any rhythmn and leaving it up to the mid of the listener to drift with what is often considered the background "music" in a track. I've spokent o a few people who make ambient and they all say it is a shitload harder to make beatless ambient, as you do not have a beat or groove to work with, you have to focus your mind on making the trip last loger and be more detailed.

Shit, did that even make sense? Someone wake me upp please...

310980[/snapback]

of course it makes sense. i agree with you.

different people perceive music different.

it's all about different brain, different mentality, different spirit, different energy, and why not, different level of stress.

that's why i made this thread. so i can make people speak about how they perceive music. and i chose beatless ambient, as it is a pretty much unknown ground for me (mostly for the reasons i stated when i started this thread).