Logic Pro 9

Hey there guys!

I've listen to alot of trance music the past years and finally bought a older computer with Logic Pro 9.

I have been exploring some and learn a little bit, but i really need some basic help! Have read the manual that came with the program and i got some knowledge.

But it feels like I'm stuck and need some guidance. Does anybody here have any experience with the program? Would be great with some help. 

WIsh u all the best

- kitte

2 hours ago, kitte said:

Hey there guys!

I've listen to alot of trance music the past years and finally bought a older computer with Logic Pro 9.

I have been exploring some and learn a little bit, but i really need some basic help! Have read the manual that came with the program and i got some knowledge.

But it feels like I'm stuck and need some guidance. Does anybody here have any experience with the program? Would be great with some help. 

WIsh u all the best

- kitte

You'd be better of finding Logic users group on Facebook? or maybe look for some tutorials on YouTube?

I'm pretty fluent in Live 9 and Bitwig 2 and somewhat in Studio One 3, so can't help with Logic-specific stuff :( 

6 hours ago, antic604 said:

Apparently he's unstuck already ;):D

Love that about today's internet - people come, ask for something and then never come back to reply :(

indeed. it probably has something to do with modern social media such as reddit. if you're among the first posters you'll get a lot of attention, but just a day later no one will even read your post anymore. people aren't used to communities like forums that work at a slower pace.

On 9/30/2017 at 2:58 AM, Padmapani said:

i've been using logic 9 for a few years now. where are you stuck?

I'm stuck in the beginning. Trying to get the basic layer sound for the a track but i would be very glad with how to begin! It seems like i'm going backwards or making to much so it doesn't sound any good.

Well it's friday today and i got some more time to explore. If you doing a track, how do you being? Whats the first steps?

On 10/2/2017 at 9:04 AM, antic604 said:

Love that about today's internet - people come, ask for something and then never come back to reply :(

Haha i'm stuck. It sound like some country song with some aliens eating from it, doesn't sound good at all.

Been working for the man.. but finally weekend so i'm here to make some noise!

35 minutes ago, recursion loop said:

Sounds interesting, you may be inventing some new form of psytrance.

Actually it is hard to understand what your problem is. What is the "basic layer sound"? You mean kick/bass or smth else? 

Give me some days and i'll show y'all!

Well my problem is that i can't find a good tutorial to get started. Thats why i'm asking here..

Yes, how to get a good kick and how to sync the bass to it. It's also hard to explain what i mean :(

12 minutes ago, Themaniac said:

If you don't name the track Aliens vs Cowboys, it's a wasted opportunity. :D

Hahah toolate, i already name the project Aliens goes country. ;)

5 hours ago, kitte said:

Well my problem is that i can't find a good tutorial to get started. Thats why i'm asking here..

Yes, how to get a good kick and how to sync the bass to it. It's also hard to explain what i mean :(

the easiest way to get a kick, and the only way to get a good one in the beginning, is to just use a sample (both exs24 and ultrabeat work nicely for this. ultrabeat has an a bit steeper learning curve but is also the more powerful tool).

the much more satisfying method is to make it yourself. ultrabeat is your best friend here. there are lots of other kick synth utilities such as bazzizm/bigkick/... but i find that properly tweaked kicks out of ultrabeat need less processing. you can set the osc2 to a sine wave that sweeps from a high note in your scale to your root note. this is done by setting the one of the envelopes to control the pitch of the note. you can then adjust the curve of the envelope to your liking. additionally you can use one of the other envelopes to control the volume.
i rarely see the need to use any other method. if i hear a psy kick i like i often manage to recreate it using ultrabeat.

pKlcNrt.png
this is the kick i use in the track i'm currently working on. here i used to env1 to control the pitch and env4 (and curiously also env2... interesting) to control levels. the eq bell curve serves to reduce the "mud" frequencies around 500hz a bit.

i'm not quite sure what you mean by syncing the bass to the kick. you create a region with the kick playing on every 1/4 and a second region for the bassline with the pattern you'd like it to play (most likely a note on every 1/16 except 1,5,9 and 13). once you've done that they should be perfectly in sync.

On 10/7/2017 at 12:22 AM, Padmapani said:

the easiest way to get a kick, and the only way to get a good one in the beginning, is to just use a sample (both exs24 and ultrabeat work nicely for this. ultrabeat has an a bit steeper learning curve but is also the more powerful tool).

the much more satisfying method is to make it yourself. ultrabeat is your best friend here. there are lots of other kick synth utilities such as bazzizm/bigkick/... but i find that properly tweaked kicks out of ultrabeat need less processing. you can set the osc2 to a sine wave that sweeps from a high note in your scale to your root note. this is done by setting the one of the envelopes to control the pitch of the note. you can then adjust the curve of the envelope to your liking. additionally you can use one of the other envelopes to control the volume.
i rarely see the need to use any other method. if i hear a psy kick i like i often manage to recreate it using ultrabeat.

pKlcNrt.png
this is the kick i use in the track i'm currently working on. here i used to env1 to control the pitch and env4 (and curiously also env2... interesting) to control levels. the eq bell curve serves to reduce the "mud" frequencies around 500hz a bit.

i'm not quite sure what you mean by syncing the bass to the kick. you create a region with the kick playing on every 1/4 and a second region for the bassline with the pattern you'd like it to play (most likely a note on every 1/16 except 1,5,9 and 13). once you've done that they should be perfectly in sync.

Thanks so much for the help Padmani!

This was great, i don't fully understand everything but enough to get started. I got alot help of that screenshot you uploaded!

Bless!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2017 at 9:04 AM, antic604 said:

Hi! I LOL with your comment! But sadly, this is just the same as in real life.

I've read a post of someone asking for feedback on a track, but there's no song anywhere! These kind of posts makes me think of those awful paintings of "xxxx waz ere 9T3"...