Title: XOXO

Label: Dacru Records

Date: July, 2017

1. Introstellar

2. The Question

3. Night & Day

4. New Sparks (Space Cat Edit)

5. Skywalker (Filteria Remix Edit)

6. Astral Projection feat. DJ Jorg - Mahadeva (Power Source & Innerzone Remix)

7. Power Source & The Muses Rapt - Galactic Wilderness

8. Seville

9. Dasvidanya

jM6ITRw.gif

Ah Power Source clearly all out of f*cks to give.  One of the more notable names that was almost a seminal figure in the goa scene.  This project (which began as a trio and is now the sole property of Shahaf Shvarzman) beat us over the head with some say their only standout track Goaway.  I however believe them to have had at least a few more with Memory Bubbles, Granada, and Skywalker, but clearly if you kicked out their contribution the goa pyramid would still stand solidly.

So now it's back and we know the trap that can be a hazard of returning artists.  It's a trap that Power Source jumped into with two feet screaming "F*ck it!" all the way down.  This album is pure Dacru full-on with goa and trance elements which might require you to get some sunglasses when listening to it as the shiny and modern production could very well blind you.  I like what Space Cat did with Sparks and even though it's pretty good we already heard the Filteria Remix of Skywalker on Ten Spins Around the Sun.  The Mahadeva remix was also entertaining, but it just made me want to hear the original.

Look I was never a huge fan of this project to begin with, but If you can listen to the last track without dry heaving than perhaps you should apply for sainthood.  What the unholy f*ck?  It's not bad with it's great production and power, but I don't have time for just not bad.  There was potential here, but for me there wasn't anything that was particularly memorable.

Psyshop

Beatspace

• Like 1

If you are expecting pure goa then this album is not going to deliver. If you are expecting Dacru style full-on then it's decent though not great.

I like the overall sound and atmosphere but dislike most of the the melodies. 3rd and 4th tracks are way too happy/sunny/whatever, they almost top Talamaska. Other tracks stick too much to generic eastern goaish melody formula, too predictable and boring.

The last track has some nice craziness in it, almost like Infected Mushroom.Not sure if I actually like it but it sounds much less generic than the rest of the album. Btw, "dosvidanya" is "good bye" in Russian.

If I listen to the samples, I hear in (almost) every track 100% neo goa trance. Would you really hear a big difference if you closed your eyes, not knowing what artist is playing? :)

How different is this album (production) from 70% of newer goa trance? Cristal clean production, focus on melody, not very psychedelic, no drum kick (beats) and overall the same 'shiny' sounds with a very clubby though. Like this style or not: that's another thing ;)

Some ear catchers or points of 'concern' ;)

-2nd tracks is good imo. Production wise, but also trance and psychedelic wise (even indeed it could be better (?) - cf. potential).

-4th track is beautiful, no? Trance with a small pinch of psychedelic elements, more than 'just' trance.

-5th track has a nice groove into it...

-6th track is very very neo goa: totally not full on :) ...but lacks the energy of the original version. Imo is this version what much newer goa is in comparison to the older stuff: you hear there is less hart and organicness inside this track, like it doesn't grow in the earth. Not embedded into a deeper, warm sound.

7-8: full on/neo goa trance, but not with much inspiration, though there is real potential. Good full on exists!!!!

This is not (overall) the typical Dacru sound... imo ;)

• 1 month later...