going-all-digital support group

antic604

I believe we have a really fair deal for all digital buyers/collectors over at our Bandcamp. 19 releases for 30$ (including Graviton Records discography, remastered versions of Crossing The Rubicon by Arronax and Chromatic World by Morphic Resonance - exclusive on Bandcamp), releases with bonus material (Triglav remixes, exclusive on Bandcamp and solid downtempo/chillout material by Shamanizm Parallelii, Perfect Blind, Saluberrimae, Erot), with the most recent Neogoa Records releases including: Ultimate Xperience, GoaD, PsySutra, Veasna, Negans, Dimensional Gateway 4, etc.). In the future we will add other albums as well, for name your price and include them in full discography download.

https://neogoarecords.bandcamp.com/

• Like 1

However, the physical item doesn't risk to "die suddently" like an hard drive. Yes there were a few discs made in the 90s with bad manufacturing process that are now unreadable (and the cd-r) but the good pressed CD will last until you pass them to a newer generation.

I do believe they might come back in fashion in maybe 10 years when people will see the commodity of a CD again (after they vinyl hype will be done) as everything in this life goes in cirlce it is not entirely impossible (and mars told me once he thought the same).

However without all you good collectors it will be very hard to continue what we do at DAT, Suntrip, Zion, Hado, GS Concept, Cronomi, Goa Madness and the newly risen and good labels of Thanos and of Joost. If more and more people go this direction it will be very hard to survive for us.

I do know right now with producing vinyl I might go on a bit but it is just sad to read this.

• Like 1

However, the physical item doesn't risk to "die suddently" like an hard drive.

This is one awesome feature of bandcamp, it saves a list of everything you've bought and you can easily go to the site and download these things again, or download them to another computer or whatever. Having your HD crash fucking sucks but at least that's something of a consolation.

This is one awesome feature of bandcamp, it saves a list of everything you've bought and you can easily go to the site and download these things again, or download them to another computer or whatever. Having your HD crash fucking sucks but at least that's something of a consolation.

Until the label/artist decides to remove them from the site. This conversation has been done again and again with each side having each cons and pros. 

I for one enjoy looking at one of my walls covered with cds  B)  B)  B) and I don't think it will change in the future.

• Like 1

However without all you good collectors it will be very hard to continue what we do at DAT, Suntrip, Zion, Hado, GS Concept, Cronomi, Goa Madness and the newly risen and good labels of Thanos and of Joost. If more and more people go this direction it will be very hard to survive for us.

I do know right now with producing vinyl I might go on a bit but it is just sad to read this.

I don't consider Digital Reprints a label but thanx anyway  :P

I'll always love vinyl. Happy to read about the new DATGOA vinyl series. 

Wish the alt version of the Doof release had a vinyl print too, but at this point I'll settle for a shirt... ;) 

lololololol

I have a horrible tendency of breaking CD cases and other shit. I'm also out of shelf space for CDs and most of my items don't even have disk drives. Heck, the drive on my laptop doesn't read disks anymore and it's a pain.

Vinyl, it's for home listening and collecting. Maybe it'll hold its value, maybe it won't. But I'm happier "wasting" money on vinyl than on CDs

Why is that? I'd think that what you & others are doing is releasing music, not producing plastic? I'm also pretty sure that by purchasing digital you get bigger share of my money, even if I pay a bit less overall, so it's good for both sides: I buy more music, you get more money, we cut "the middle man".

Sure, it's slightly different with collector items like your IFO or Global Sect's 4CD comps, which I'll still consider buying physically, but otherwise I don't see the risk you're talking about. Old people like me will rant about how downloads should be much cheaper because there's no pressing, packaging and shipping; but most consumers nowadays - who were not there in CD era - are expecting and are OK with a full-length costing around EUR/USD/GBP 10 and this won't change.

Why is that? I'd think that what you & others are doing is releasing music, not producing plastic? I'm also pretty sure that by purchasing digital you get bigger share of my money, even if I pay a bit less overall, so it's good for both sides: I buy more music, you get more money, we cut "the middle man".

Sure, it's slightly different with collector items like your IFO or Global Sect's 4CD comps, which I'll still consider buying physically, but otherwise I don't see the risk you're talking about. Old people like me will rant about how downloads should be much cheaper because there's no pressing, packaging and shipping; but most consumers nowadays - who were not there in CD era - are expecting and are OK with a full-length costing around EUR/USD/GBP 10 and this won't change.

Are you actually trying to persuade him to go digital? Are you mad? Stop this nonsense. What's next, Progressive Psychedelic or even PsyTek???

Are you actually trying to persuade him to go digital? Are you mad? Stop this nonsense. What's next, Progressive Psychedelic or even PsyTek???

Obviously not, he can viably do both. Just don't see the risk he's mentioning - if all his clients moved to buying digital, he'd still (or maybe even more?!) be able to release stuff.

WTF, just had my real taste of the all-digital future  :angry:

In opening post I mentioned that Nano Rec. had their store open on Bandcamp (nanorecords.bandcamp.com), so I went there and took advantage of the -50% discount on their full digital catalogue, which at the time consisted of 3 artist albums. In the meantime they've added few more releases there.

Today I wanted to go there to check if there's maybe some new stuff. To my surprise I was re-directed to Bandcamp's main site. So I went to my collection, and found out that the releases are gone.

I mailed both Bandcamp and Nano Rec. about it and we'll see what's going on, but - very likely - this was a scam by someone not really related to Nano...

Nice.

• Like 1

WTF, just had my real taste of the all-digital future  :angry:

In opening post I mentioned that Nano Rec. had their store open on Bandcamp (nanorecords.bandcamp.com), so I went there and took advantage of the -50% discount on their full digital catalogue, which at the time consisted of 3 artist albums. In the meantime they've added few more releases there.

Today I wanted to go there to check if there's maybe some new stuff. To my surprise I was re-directed to Bandcamp's main site. So I went to my collection, and found out that the releases are gone.

I mailed both Bandcamp and Nano Rec. about it and we'll see what's going on, but - very likely - this was a scam by someone not really related to Nano...

Nice.

Sorry but, Ahahahahaha

You'll get your money back though. Twisted records had done something similar not very long ago.

Sorry but, Ahahahahaha

You'll get your money back though. Twisted records had done something similar not very long ago.

It's not really about money (EUR16), but more about the concept of going all-digital being really vulnerable as hell. Sure, I can probably get a refund this time, but what happens if Bandcamp goes belly up?

Sure, I also had my physical collection of roughly 30 CDs stolen in 1999 (which was much more valuable to me back then, because of sacrifices I had to make to buy them financially and logistically).

So what's left now? Torrent sites? ;):D

It's not really about money (EUR16), but more about the concept of going all-digital being really vulnerable as hell. Sure, I can probably get a refund this time, but what happens if Bandcamp goes belly up?

Sure, I also had my physical collection of roughly 30 CDs stolen in 1999 (which was much more valuable to me back then, because of sacrifices I had to make to buy them financially and logistically).

So what's left now? Torrent sites? ;):D

Forget the digital nonsense and make more room for storing your cds :P :P :P

This was discussed in another thread a year or two ago.

When you buy on Bandcamp, you are paying for the digital download of the release.

The online streaming is a free bonus and is not a lifetime guarantee. 

Some artists and labels leave things up indefinitely, so it can be easy to conflate the two concepts, but always assume that whatever you buy won't be available on the site later.

If Bandcamp goes belly up, you should still have the local copy of your purchases. 

That's on you.

• Like 3

This was discussed in another thread a year or two ago.

When you buy on Bandcamp, you are paying for the digital download of the release.

The online streaming is a free bonus and is not a lifetime guarantee. 

Some artists and labels leave things up indefinitely, so it can be easy to conflate the two concepts, but always assume that whatever you buy won't be available on the site later.

If Bandcamp goes belly up, you should still have the local copy of your purchases. 

That's on you.

Yeah, sure I do this obviously. But it's still discouraging.

Maybe I should stick to Google Play, because it's very unlikely that it is going to bankrupt :)

which were?

Obviously all pre-2000 releases, so all of them are considered classics nowadays, like Radio, Dragon Tales, Synergy, Bible of Dreams and the likes. It was +/- 30 releases, but I bought them being a student, so I had to sacrifice food/drinks and also I couldn't order via Internet, so I relied on a friend who brought stuff from Germany.

Im støned, bear with me; this post includes a question about quality ~ standing the age of time. CDr's have a standard "bad" factory quality? Professional distributiøn companies like SONY, Colombia, Parvati, Twisted, DAT Records etc. use hgh quality thick CDs in their production/publishment?.. Is there a standard made of good/bad quality CDr CDs - the ones a layman can buy a pack of in the local IT-whatever shop? Is there also a suprior quality standard of CDs used by the big companies and distributørs that a laymen can not get a hold of? If I was a label calling my self SmthSmth Records, and I bought a stack of CDr's and printed on them my own design and made my own booklets. Would the CDr's bought no matter from which shop/brand be of poorer quality and maybe not stand the age of time, like the CDs the professional labels use and print on? .... 

*if a topic about this exists with all the inside info im after, please share! *i'll search also.

I hate it when I buy a CD album, and I can feel that the CD plastic it self is thin*, inexpencive, and the booklet is a 1-non-fold / or 2 fold boring thing with no shanti info or whatever. Then, I'd rather prefer to buy a digital versjon to save on HD and burn the music over to a CDr Ive my self bought from a standard shop..... 

*i love the selfmade love that comes from releases by i.good.e. BLUETECH, and the Ksolntsu Psykovsky album (Not On Label (Psykovsky Self-released) .. and you have the awe integrity and soul of Schlabbaduerst ReKkords, notorius of releasing uber cool CDr's. They would not be as cool if they called them self Records.

Reason for wondering, is this quote that I totally tend to agree with when it comes to buying digital vs physical

Draeke wrote on page 2: *see bottom of my post*

Ya know what im saying? r u sayin what im maybe knowing?  .... And in that vain, a label calling it self SmthSmth RECORDS, should really be a Record label, and not some wannabe shitt. Same goes for only digital labels, should they call them self [insert name] Records? If not releasing proper CD quality or vinyls, I guess its better to call yaar self smth else, like SmthSmth Recordings, SmthSmth Net, SmthSmth Netlabel, SmthSmth Music, SmthSmth Label, SmthSmth Productions, SmthSmth ..... 

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Shiva-Space-Technology/release/50049

Can you name more surname varies of being a record label? ... 

All in all, it doesnt really matter, right? But for some integrity reasons and wishes to respect the buisness and ideals of label running ..... why not.

I kinda feel that if your gonna call your self as a label, RECORDS. You've better repressent quality (that lasts generations..) ?
Is there different meanings of the varies terms wirtten above? I guess the .net thing is of new arrise on the label side of things? Or maybe not thinking Etnica used Etnica.Net as his record label name from long ago before digital was much of a thing .. (?)

like Draeke writes, id like to add, ',and beyond' to the last sentence. 

( .... ) Yes there were a few discs made in the 90s with bad manufacturing process that are now unreadable (and the cd-r) but the good pressed CD will last until you pass them to a newer generation.

Maybe I should stick to Google Play, because it's very unlikely that it is going to bankrupt :)

I hope you're kidding. Google is NOTORIOUS for dropping products in their stream without warning.

Products used by people and businesses.

Google has zero attachment to any of their different splinters.

I would venture to state that Bandcamp will out last Google Play 

I hope you're kidding. Google is NOTORIOUS for dropping products in their stream without warning.

Products used by people and businesses.

Google has zero attachment to any of their different splinters.

I would venture to state that Bandcamp will out last Google Play 

Well, they're known to drop services that were sort of in beta and were free, e.g. Waves, Reader, Picasa. Don't think they'll discontinue one where they have millions of paid subscribers.

I have different issue with Google's Play though, i.e. the pricing: releases there are very cheap, e.g. KOB's album is PLN18 whereas it is PLN47 on Suntrip's Bandcamp page. While obviously it's great for me, I don't think it is Suntrip/KOB feel the same about it. Sure, it's still an income source, although I'd imagine it is very thin.

Anyway, just got a refund from Bandcamp for those Nano Rec. releases, so at least I broke even :)

I need to also take a look at Beatport, because it seems to offer huge catalogue of electronic music, though it's slightly focused on the mainstream which puts me off a little.