Braincell - Connecting Multiverses [Blue Hour Sounds]

Sounds good, but - typically for Braincell - somehow not particularly exciting...

braincell is like e-mantra. always good music but after a while it all starts to sound the same. there are a few gems that stand out, but the great majority of their tracks (while instantly recognisable as being theirs) are non-distinct and forgettable. they work great in a dj set but it doesn't seem to matter much which track you stick in there ;)

skipping through the sampes this sounds a bit less melodic than his last album. bordering on what could be called "braincell meets nano records"...?

braincell is like e-mantra. always good music but after a while it all starts to sound the same. there are a few gems that stand out, but the great majority of their tracks (while instantly recognisable as being theirs) are non-distinct and forgettable. they work great in a dj set but it doesn't seem to matter much which track you stick in there ;)

skipping through the sampes this sounds a bit less melodic than his last album. bordering on what could be called "braincell meets nano records"...?

Yeah, that's pretty much my feelings as well. Although hard to judge this particular album, because the samples on Soundcloud are of suspiciously low quality.

Tried to listen from youtube but failed to sit through the whole thing. To me this album summarizes everything I dislike about what psytrance has become today - it tries hard to sound all too serious, scary and twisted which ends up in chaotic mess of acids and FM leads without any single memorable monent. Psytrance of this kind  reminds me of what they call "true black metal" - the harder it is to listen the better.

Off to listen to some U-Recken instead.

• Like 2

Saw his closig set of ozaora mainstage last year and it was imo quite a letdown. And yes it sounded the same for 90 minutes!

Tried to listen from youtube but failed to sit through the whole thing. To me this album summarizes everything I dislike about what psytrance has become today - it tries hard to sound all too serious, scary and twisted which ends up in chaotic mess of acids and FM leads without any single memorable monent. Psytrance of this kind  reminds me of what they call "true black metal" - the harder it is to listen the better.

Off to listen to some U-Recken instead.

Agree with the above, but - as I said in the OP - this is nothing new for Braincell. His albums were always very correct, but "samey" like they're a background for the actual music that somehow was never added :) What's worse, I think his early stuff was better - full of swirly, goa-ish melodies / arpeggios - and only in 3rd or 4th album he directed his style towards this more generic, non-melodic full-on / morning sound.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...