Progressive trance, 140 BPM

recursion loop

https://soundcloud.com/recursion-loop/recursion-loop-vs-emtear-morning-wakeup

My collab with another guy. Obvious Ticon influences, some euphoric/uplifting melodies in the second part. Not especially psychedelic, but I like it 

If only Ticon's music was this detailed and rich...

Not really a fan of this style, but - technically speaking - I think you're putting too much effects on bass (a reverb, perhaps?) which somehow clouds the overall mix, drowning some of the other sounds. If it was dryer, I think the mix would gain more clarity. Or maybe you should make the bass sound shorter? I love all the 'accidental' sounds, the stuttering acids, etc. The 2nd part also releases the energy and emotion pretty flawlessly, the key changes are spot-on. This track wouldn't be out of place on some progressive trance compilation, really :)

• Like 1

I'm mostly mixing in headphones lately so getting the right balance is somehow tricky.

Yeah, that doesn't help. At least make sure you use 2-3 different sets (with different sound response / sound colouring). Maybe try shortening the Decay / Release on the bass? It's not that it's too bassy, it's just that the lower-mids from the bass seem to be too present in the mix (IMO, obviously). I personally like to add some delay to bassline (if it's modulated, of course) but there needs to be a high-pass filter before it.

• Like 1

At least make sure you use 2-3 different sets (with different sound response / sound colouring).

Yeah, this is what I normally do - I check my stuff on 5 inch monitors (when my daughter is neither screaming nor sleeping which happens occasionally), on consumer speakers, at phone. Takes time to learn how  to lsiten and what to hear but I think I'm slowly making progress.

I actually like that bassline, personally and technically. Fits to the track.

Thanks, that's good to know!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...