Music buying habits

thanosp81

I started listening to Goa Trance at 1995, I was 14 yo at the time. Obviously I didn't have my own income, so I was using (or not using) my allowance, going to the arcades and just watching other ppl play so I could save some money. Enough for a cd per month.

Fast forward many years, having a good job and enough money to buy as many cds I needed in order to quench my thirst. In theory of course, my wife knows a lot of ways to cause physical and mental pain.

And I understand her, I always feel I want to buy more releases than I actually have time to hear.

So I set a limit to myself...£60 per month (excl. shipping). So when payday comes debit card is out of the wallet. I also allow myself for a couple of releases during the month for preordering and buy on day of release. And that's it.

What about you? What are your buying habits/constraints?

For me per month it's basically:

- 1 order @ psyshop.com: 3-4 CDs of more "mainstream" stuff,

- 1-3 CDs purchased straight from artist / label,

- 1-4 digital releases (non-goa/psy electronic music, usually IDM/glitch),

But it really depends - sometimes it's the above x2, sometimes it's barely anything. I try to restrain myself to buying "good" music, because (1) I'm running out of space to store it, (2) have limited time to listen to it as is, and (3) don't want to upset my wife as well :D

No monetery constraints luckily, so bring on those Limited Editions ;):P

For me... Spending:

- all new goa-cd-releases every 1-2 months (average 50€?)
- some non goa (ambient, forest) like 20€ a month
- collecting oldies I dont have yet (around 30-50€ per month)

So around 120€ a month :) And... with a huge pile of cds still to be listened :s

I had to cut down music buying when my money situation got worse. I still buy, but rarely, very rarely. However I noticed I do go over the music on the official channels a lot more than before (spotify, youtube, bandcamp).

Exclusivity / value does impact on what I do end up buying now more-so

At average I would say 50 euro a month, and around 50 cd's a year although that number has been steadily rising over the last few years...

Mostly Goa of course but the longer I am collecting, the more I find my tastes expanding in this umbrella genre we call psy so it is getting more & more expensive :D

I am currently looking to implement a structure where I can easily incorporate physical & digital releases and be able to play my entire collection on any device or as many as possible... This is quite a challenge ...

I am currently looking to implement a structure where I can easily incorporate physical & digital releases and be able to play my entire collection on any device or as many as possible... This is quite a challenge ...

If you do make sure that you patent it  ;)

Or at least let us know

If you do make sure that you patent it  ;)

Or at least let us know

I think Google Play gives you some 20Gb of storage (more can be bought) where you can upload your own music to stream anywhere.

EDIT: apparently it's 50.000 "tunes" instead of allocated Gb space. Nice :)

Otherwise, don't you download your digital purchases & rip your CDs/vinyls? I have everything neatly stored on my laptop at home and my tablet, so most of the music is always with me.

I think Bandcamp offers unlimited streaming of releases someone purchases, plus it has nice collectors feature so everyone can have that account for free and build the collection. At least most of new Goa trance music is becoming more and more available on Bandcamp so there is a wide number of releases each month available there.

For me... Spending:

- all new goa-cd-releases every 1-2 months (average 50€?)

- some non goa (ambient, forest) like 20€ a month

- collecting oldies I dont have yet (around 30-50€ per month)

So around 120€ a month :) And... with a huge pile of cds still to be listened :s

You better save those 20€ for a couple of months then, our first release will be Psychill :)