Current Psychedelic music scene in Goa and Thailand

wubafwez

3 years ago or so i've decided not to go to a psy party in thailand again as they had gotten way commercial than anything you'll find in europe (except maybe the small darkpsy parties in the jungle in koh phangan or the big festivals).

this year i've been in koh phayam on the west coast, a nice islands with an alternative/hippie crowd and went to a "fullmoon party" at the "hippie bar", expecting either psytrance or something like psyrock. what i got was 80s hits, so if you want at least some kind of psy, then you definitely have to go to koh phangan.

Thailand isn't exactly booming. There are constant parties on Koh Phangan but they can be small. During the peak tourist season (December to March I think?) the numbers are higher.

Stylewise it varies, the more commercial parties play Spin Twist Records style 'psy prog' but Jo Moontribe and co run a few parties around Ban Tai Beach (starting with the awesome beach club Ban Sabaii) which have some credible full-on style tunes. Related parties include "Jungle Experience" and "Acid Moon".

In short, there are parties but not always good ones musically.

I'm still in Goa now after 3/4 months and i guess the season will be winding up soon.

I can tell you that here, it is cranking if parties are what you want. Still, even now, 4/5/6 parties a week playing some decent stuff.

Depends what style of music you want I guess as well. Parties here are predominantly full on or dark, a lot of Nano style stuff getting played as Tristan and co are here all the time. Some quite psychedelic music being played every party around 4am as well. So if you like that you will love it here.

Occasionally in the mornings they are actually playing some goa surprisingly, which just makes me incredibly happy when it happens.

The vibe, the people, the sheer amount of parties... Its just incredible and it is actually my favourite place in the world I think hah. I never want to leave. Strongly, strongly advise anyone with an interest to check it out next season. Sure its not goa from back in the day but quite frankly it is still rocking hard.

• Like 1

Occasionally in the mornings they are actually playing some goa surprisingly, which just makes me incredibly happy when it happens. --- This is very Rare.

As Sphongled247 has rightly said, the sheer number of parties will definitely overwhelm you. But, if you are a lover of Pure Goa, you will be disappointed. Its just Russian Darkpsy, LOTS of Nano Records music and full on :/ Not once have i heard Goa in 'GOA'. (And i visit every couple months) if anyone of you has read BOFB fb page recently, you would know this -- He played at a couple of parties over here , couple of months ago i guess. Sadly i missed it.

:/

In short if you like Full on, Darkpsy -- GOA is the place.

P.S - - Sphongled247, Kill it bro! have fun. :)

(I have my exams now, otherwise it would've been nice to catch up with a fellow Psynews'er)

-Ankur

• Like 1