Hallucinogen - Solstice

radi6404

Does anyone know the more melodic solstice remix of Hallucinogen? I find it very good but it is not listed on youtube and can´t be found on discogs neither. The track is much more melodic and comes closer to melodic goa style than the original track. The melodies are very warm and emotional, while still sounding British and like Simon Posford. In the middle of the track there is a vocal "I just pissed in my pants,... And nobody can do anything about it! Where is this gem released?

Well, it's not as complex or as developed as the album version. But it's a decent track. I like how it balances lines that are more bouncy and fun with others that have a dark sound.

It's actually more reminiscent of Youth's sound than typical Hallucinogen. Probably not a coincidence since he worked at Butterfly studios at the time.

The track doesn´t have a dark sound at all and I don´t know how you can associate darkness with that track. Even the name implies that it wont be dark since it is called Solstice which means the longest day of the year. The track itself doesn´t have to do anything with darkness and is bright from star to finish with bright and happy melodies that remind of summer and spring. If you think that track is dark, than you must be a very negative person.

Dark doesnt mean negative. Neither does Light mean positive. Those arent synonyms. There are quite a few dark sounds in this track, and that does not make the track itself dark or negative.

Earwall didnt say the track was dark either, just to make it clear. He said the track was nicely balanced between "bouncy and fun" sounds and "dark" sounds, to quote him.

I dont understand why you are getting defensive here.

OT:

Track is ok for being his first track he allegedly made professionaly.

But not very great, and the official version of Solstice isnt that strong either.

there are two solstices in a year, separated by six months.

And according to you which solstice did Simon rather want to describe with the track? Summer Solstice or winter Solstice? In my opinion he wanted to describe summer solstice with that track if he wanted to describe the solstice event on earth at all.

Well contrary to first assumptions, it is the winter and not the summer soltice that is the symbol of 'light'. For most civilisations the winter solstice was celebrated as the time when the saviour/avatar/divine being would be born into the world to lift it out of the 'darkness' - both literally bringing it from winter into spring/summer and symbolically bringing light and order out of the dark chaos. It is the 'ascent' phase of the year:

http://belsebuub.com/articles/the-spiritual-meaning-of-the-winter-solstice

I doubt Simon was considering any of these things tbh.

As for the song itself, this version is decent but has nothing on the album version which is far more coherent and tight, not to mention has some of his greatest moments. This is something like a beta version - you can see the framework for the final song, but its really all over the place:

Intro: the only thing I hate about the album version - cheesey flute sound (despite him speeding it up for the album). Unfortunately for this verison, he continues it throughout the song.

0:33: interesting little melody here that would be good to see hium play around with - not on album version

1:04: cheese back. Not saved by the LSD type melody brought in at 1:18

2:00 lol at that sample. Stupid but funny.

2:19 cool 'spacey' soundscape that he reworks for the album

2:35 brings back cool melody over spacey sound - best section of the song... until

3:17 that bizarre 80's keyboard sound is horrid; thank god he dropped it for album version

3:30 the main chorus from album version, but here it has no build-up and thus loses most of its impact

3:45 transition/bridge from album version

4:00 goddam cheese back

4:45-end is mixing all previous inputs and wind down.

In summary, the album version is far more polished, loses all the weaker parts of this version (except that flute!), and adds some of Simon's most powerful moments.

I also really like his killer remix of Solstice for the dancefloor (a lot more acid) in his live @ DNA lounge set (7:10):