sound and production and money

PSYDUDE

is euro trance has a better sound production than psytrance ?

than main question is if the money factor plays a big role in the electronic music?

the people who have lots of money have the best tech and studios.?

im sure its like that in the movie industry but is it the same in the electronic music industry?

IMO, as a listener of both genres:

1. No, but euro trance uses lots of rich melodies, which sounds great even in poor quality headphones. On the other hand, psytrance nowadays is more about kicks and basslines than melodies. So, to our ears euro trance does seem more well produced, but I think the paraphernalia both genres use is the same, so there's no difference in quality.

2. Yes, I just read that BOOM festival - which preaches love, peace, etc... - made the artists booked for 2012 sign a contract that banned appearances in other festivals, Ozora is the main target. So, they preach peace and love to ohers, while they're more interested in money. Ugly.

3. Yes, of course.

4. Yes, but production quality does not mean that an artist is talented. We have some poorly finished tracks that sounds great - in this case, it is a task left for DJs, to improve the quality from their decks.

We're speaking about sound here guys. No, euro-trance doesn't got better production or sound in general. On the other hand, commercial (hopefully it is right term) trance is much more acceptable to wider-audience, than real psytrance

IMO it's like with audiophile people. You can always reach little better sound quality if you inject much more money in the process.

First, a few reservations:

- we're talking about different music styles, so it's impossible to really compare

- a mastering depends a lot on the unmastered material in the first place.

- a renowned studio might, under time constraints, apply presets only and the customer is ripped off.

- on the opposite a very skilled ear with a modest equipment and sufficient time can probably achieve a wondrous mastering.

- there are "trends" in the mastering scene too, and the sound "coloration" depends on the year it was done. These days masterings are very pumpy, and some freqs are popping!

A Psytrance mastering costs between 0 and 500€ these days.

The movie industry has thousand times more money to pour into mastering. So they can afford some incredibly equiped studios inhabited by an army of sound engineers, and inevitably the sound quality ends up being better (the music style set apart).

Similarly, Euro Trance reaches a wider audience than Psytrance and a small part of its scene has a lot more money. These few big labels can probably afford a range of professional mastering studios (especially when we're talking about big names like A. Van Buuren) which bill them a few thousands euros and the result is warmer, more explosive, etc. But I don't think most Euro labels are so different than ours...

Well said.

BTW anyone noticed how compressed pop music is nowadays? I tried to listen to a Kate Perry song in my mp3 (don't ask why) and I almost got deaf!

totally. even on those crappy speakers, which they used at work to torture me with pop music, you could hear that some of the songs are totally overcompressed (obvious pumping/artifacts). so no, money doesn't guarantee good sound quality at all ;)

is euro trance has a better sound production than psytrance ?

than main question is if the money factor plays a big role in the electronic music?

the people who have lots of money have the best tech and studios.?

im sure its like that in the movie industry but is it the same in the electronic music industry?

Well said.

BTW anyone noticed how compressed pop music is nowadays? I tried to listen to a Kate Perry song in my mp3 (don't ask why) and I almost got deaf!

Well, the more money you have the more limiters you can buy!

Since the more you spend, the more focused you are on money, you have to reach as wide an audience as possible and that means producing for people who just listen through their Ipods.