support and make popular old and new artists

radi6404

Just saying "herp derp, I don't want them to get more money and I won't give them any either, but I'll consume it freely", is morally just messed up.

Nobody said anything of the sort. I'd love for artists to get more money (and I neither pirate music nor have a high opinion of those who do) but that's a separate issue to having every Tom, Dick and Harry listening to pop music that calls itself psytrance because it's the in thing, which is what happens when genres become mainstream.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, for sure not, being well known and producing good music are not opposites, it seems my post either get ignored or the people here, just like the user above can not comprehent or are too ignorant. How are Rammstein, Simon Posford, Metallica, Jean Mishele jarre, Vangelis and many more very popular and still make some of the best music in the world? And by the way, a lot of psytrance is allready shitty and for the scene to have good tracks, artists just want more profit from it.

Imho the last part is completely wrong. In most cases if you take the time to produce something you want it to be good. It doesn't matter how much money you make with it. At a certain point you might stop producing or just produce stuff for fun and not with the idea to release it if you are dissappointed with the financial outcome. Sure, if you get more money you can buy better equipment or work less so you have more time for music, which might give better results with your next releases. But most of the times if a lot of money is being made you have a lot of artists who jump the bandwagon and release some standard stuff to get cash. Which can lead to: the bigger the scene gets, the more crappier releases you have. And since we're talking about taste here, crappy means sounding similar to everything else.

I also think it's kinda funny you say you have done your part. Not because it's not true. It's cool you bought some stuff, especially when you have limited financial ressources. But saying I'm done is exactly the thing that prevents artists from making enough money.

Nobody said anything of the sort. I'd love for artists to get more money (and I neither pirate music nor have a high opinion of those who do) but that's a separate issue to having every Tom, Dick and Harry listening to pop music that calls itself psytrance because it's the in thing, which is what heppens when genres become mainstream.

Well yeah that is a different subject, but it all comes from the same thing. Maybe we wouldn't need more listeners if more of the current one's actually paid a little for what they consume. There's very little money being spent at psytrance from avid listeners. I don't condone piratism as "heathen, burn him", I'm pretty sure most here are "quilty" of it, but the thing is, if you truly enjoy something so much, why is it so impossible to at least give some money in the scene? Definitely not saying buy every release you ever listened to, but if you honest to god enjoy something a lot why not give a bit of money for their hard work in return? It's too often just take and don't give. For the longest time I thought I would never buy an album, but I want the goa scene to grow, trying to do my part even with my limitations. It's not exactly about buying, but about supporting the thing you enjoy financially for it to be able to continue and maybe grow.

Again I'm just generalizing here, not directed at anyone in particular and exceptions do exist.

Hey man, I have cds and have bought many mp3's online, so I have done my part.

I have bought literally thousands of CDs and hundred of vinyl, does this mean I have done my part too? More than my part? Am I exempt from having to do all the reviews and other promotion stuff? :P

Radi, I used to do all that stuff you're suggesting, but life has a habit of catching up with you. I'm far too busy at work to have the energy to write a decent review any more, I don't even accept promos anymore as I just don't have the gumption to write. Maybe one day it'll come back but I am exhausted from problems at work and in life to do it all. I'm sure a lot of people are the same.

It sounds like you are in a stage where you want to get things done, that's great, go out there and do them but don't come round and tell people who have done more for the scene than you are ever likely to do that they are not doing enough to turn psy into pop.

Also, the link in your signature is broken.

There's very little money being spent at psytrance from avid listeners. I don't condone piratism as "heathen, burn him", I'm pretty sure most here are "quilty" of it, but the thing is, if you truly enjoy something so much, why is it so impossible to at least give some money in the scene? Definitely not saying buy every release you ever listened to, but if you honest to god enjoy something a lot why not give a bit of money for their hard work in return?

Because most listeners just like the artists are waaay too busy spending all that dough on drugs and good times.

I think it's not even drugs and partying (but of course that laso takes a lot of money...). And partying would even give money to the artists playing. I also think it's the trend of wanting to have the newest gadges like MP3-Players, I-Pods, Labtops and the likes. I mean by far not all listeners are die hard hippies who don't work so they do have money to spend. But they prefere other things because it's easy to just download the music for free since you simply can't buy gadges, and music and drugs and so on, so you have to set your priorities. It's the same with movies for me, I rarely buy DVDs since I can just use Pirate Bay. But obviously I don't love movies as much as I love my music, not even close so...