The Fountain

Brandon

So far it seems this movie is an absolutely love it or hate it type. I'm among the former and find the soundtrack to be one of the best. High definition/ 1080p is the only way to see this film. I haven't had a movie have such an effect on me like this one has in years, I can't get it out of my mind. I'm curious what others thought, I give this fim a 10/10

I must be part of the hate it category then ;) I found it had absolutely NO story at all, it was like a succession of meaningless scenes... not to mention the questionable scenes of rather cruel experimentation on apes. It was all the more dissapointing since I was a huge Aronovsky fan before that movie.

I like it a lot, but the love story totally threw me away.

I hate love stories.

I hate love stories too. But I was able to tolerate it in this one. There's only one movie that I actually really like the love part of the story, and that's Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

euhh the story was about love story, and yes love story isnt always great, but that love story wasnt kitch or superficial, anyways, yes its an awsome movie, for me, completely unique and seriously original, i had a total blast even the secound time ive watch it 10/10

Only one movie that youv tolerate love story; what about braveheart, butterfly effect, monster, edwar the scissor hands, come on a lot of classics is about or as a lot to do with love stories, anyways, i know the love story such as titanic or pearl harlbor sucks, but there a lot of good film that talks about love in a not cheasy way. thats my opinion. Its so easy saying i hate love stories, but there must be at least one good movie about love story, whats r they?

Only one movie that youv tolerate love story; what about braveheart, butterfly effect, monster, edwar the scissor hands, come on a lot of classics is about or as a lot to do with love stories, anyways, i know the love story such as titanic or pearl harlbor sucks, but there a lot of good film that talks about love in a not cheasy way. thats my opinion. Its so easy saying i hate love stories, but there must be at least one good movie about love story, whats r they?

:lol:

no offense man

I read somewhere that it was the most expensive new age yoga music video ever made. I might have liked it but there was no way to sympathize with the main character... he just seemed driven, psychotic even. Nice idea for a story but you can't go throwing all those heavy emotions around without first establishing a connection between the audience and the on-screen personalities.

...I'd file it under Hypnotic Masterpiece. Just like every Aronofsky film I've seen it roughly a dozen times and it keeps getting better.

For me, the story doesn't ask for the audience getting a deeper connection to the main character. Actually, I don't think there's a typical main character in there at all...just as there wasn't any in Pi and Requiem For A Dream; the film is all about a quest(ion), whereas the characters are possible ways to cope with it. It didn't come across to me as though the heavy emotions of loss were to be passed on to the audience, but to trigger the same question in it; hence it isn't a catharsis type of Hollywood tragedy, but one that demands the audience to step into the point of view of the characters without necessarily connecting to them.

That's what it does for me...maybe it also has to do with the fact that I don't really know how to cope with death myself, as I've never witnessed any (tragic) death cases in my social network. I'm not sure if I would see it is a natural part of life...it might well be that I'd see death as a disease as well, just as Tommy does.

...I'd file it under Hypnotic Masterpiece. Just like every Aronofsky film I've seen it roughly a dozen times and it keeps getting better.

For me, the story doesn't ask for the audience getting a deeper connection to the main character. Actually, I don't think there's a typical main character in there at all...just as there wasn't any in Pi and Requiem For A Dream; the film is all about a quest(ion), whereas the characters are possible ways to cope with it. It didn't come across to me as though the heavy emotions of loss were to be passed on to the audience, but to trigger the same question in it; hence it isn't a catharsis type of Hollywood tragedy, but one that demands the audience to step into the point of view of the characters without necessarily connecting to them.

That's what it does for me...maybe it also has to do with the fact that I don't really know how to cope with death myself, as I've never witnessed any (tragic) death cases in my social network. I'm not sure if I would see it is a natural part of life...it might well be that I'd see death as a disease as well, just as Tommy does.

hehe your review makes me want to watch it again :)

I find it visually brilliant, nicely directed but poorly scripted. I smelt few clichees here and there that didn't belong in this rather philosophical stylistic approach. Also, some religious conotations broke the dreamy pattern. To sum it up, the film is very good but somehow flawed. I miss some edge, something hard, like what he did in Pi and Requiem, the film just feels too tame, which is not a bad thing, but it doesn't grab me for my 'spiritual balls', it has no catharsis. :D

the sphere part is one of the best/detailed movie parts I have ever seen,

very abstract, combined with a nature elements and an atmosphere that is :posford:

the storyline is indeed compared to the music and vision a bit bad, the contrast true...

An instant favorite for me. I hadn't seen it for a while, so I bought the DVD, which should be arriving soon. Will be great to see it again.

Do you know if it has any extras?

An Aronofsky commentary would be great!