Vocal samples in psytrance

One of many things that I really like in psytrance is when the artist use vocal samples in a awesome way. You can get some cool dialogue from movies and stuff, the only downfall from this is that the listener can easily pick out which movie the sample is from.

So my question is to the producers here: Where do you get your vocal samples from? Do you sample them from movies, audiobooks or...?

One of many things that I really like in psytrance is when the artist use vocal samples in a awesome way. You can get some cool dialogue from movies and stuff, the only downfall from this is that the listener can easily pick out which movie the sample is from.

So my question is to the producers here: Where do you get your vocal samples from? Do you sample them from movies, audiobooks or...?

pretty much everywhere. Movies mostly, but also audiobooks indeed, or youtube. You can also hire an mc of course :lol:

or use a mic and become one yourself. Lots of fx you can use if you don't want to hear your own voice.

rip dvd audio to mp3, rip youtube to mp3, rip the whole internet to mp3, download miscellaneous samples on miscellaneous foreign websites (wade through exotic languages), walk around with my camera and sneaky record conversations of unknown people on the train or anywhere in public (once had a crazy one of an african ranting to his wife in african!! batiré me genge!!! - now: lost :()

latest thing im gonna try is recording gameplay audio from videogames through audacity or sumtn, dunno if it'll work properly but i have some awesome shootemups with nice audio dialogues i'd like to see ripped.

i also recorded n64 audio once just through the rca out on the scart cable, should retry that sometime

Generally movies and Terence McKenna lecture MP3s. I try to limit my use of samples, because it's sort of a habit for me to rely on samples, but I try not to be so typical. I also think of it as a crutch, and I try to keep from using crutches.

Not that that keeps me from using 303 sounds all the time. :unsure:

pretty much everywhere. Movies mostly, but also audiobooks indeed, or youtube. You can also hire an mc of course :lol:

or use a mic and become one yourself. Lots of fx you can use if you don't want to hear your own voice.

that's me :drama:

McKenna is very played out IMHO.

True, but there's just so many wonderful lines in the 80 hours of audio or whatever that I have. Most psytrance using McKenna samples use lines where he's specifically talking about drugs, but there is a plethora of much more intelligent and meaningful sentences in his lectures.

I rip all mine from DVD, or AVI's. Its a bit of a mission, but I use the following method:

1)Download a free program called "Any Audio Converter". You can rip the sound layer from DVD's AVI's etc to Wav file.

2)Use a free wave editor, like Audacity, to open the wave and cut the sample you want.

Tip: When watching the movie, take not of the time when the sample comes in. The time will be the same on the wave of course. ;)

I rip all mine from DVD, or AVI's. Its a bit of a mission, but I use the following method:

1)Download a free program called "Any Audio Converter". You can rip the sound layer from DVD's AVI's etc to Wav file.

2)Use a free wave editor, like Audacity, to open the wave and cut the sample you want.

Tip: When watching the movie, take not of the time when the sample comes in. The time will be the same on the wave of course. ;)

I use the same method... ANd same program, "any audio converter" is very easy to use!

OD's tip about taking notes is essential if you have a memory like me ;) If I don't write movie title and timecode down, i'll forget about it before the movie even is over :P

Also pay notice to the audio, if there's any kind of background music or noise in the part you've planned to use as a sample... It can be pretty difficult to use a sample with music over it, mostly it is impossible IMO, so be careful not to waste time converting and cutting movie audio if you can't use the final sample anyways ;)

Have fun sampling ;)