Do you feel goa/psy can compare with classical music?

karan129

Eehh. Ok.

Yes, Mozart is superior to all modern non-classical artists in....classical music! Lol.

And Brian Eno... is superior to Mozart in ambient music?

There's no point in comparing such artists.

As for the feelings. Classical music gives me different feelings than trance. If you're looking for similar feelings as goa/psy in other types of music you might be better off looking for other electronic (dance) music.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Unstable

but comparing the two would be like comparing God to Jesus or similar.

Fail. God = Jesus. :rolleyes:

In my view the best goa trance is similar to classical in that it has many layers working together. However it has less layers and variation than classical so it's substantially lower talented music (not to mention it's just being played on a machine).

Goa that just has simple loops, few layers or tons of layers thrown together but not really working together is crap. (Unfortunately this describes a large amount of it.) Of course there could be analogous low quality classical music, but it seems that there are lower standards in this age. The goa crowd for the most part just wants to dance and listen to random sounds thrown together -- they aren't looking for talented, creative, genius music. The psy crowd is even worse.

Goa is the closest electronic music to classical that I've listened to.

Guest Unstable

Classical music is overrated really. Sure it's good and complex and all but it's in no way the end-all of music, there's no definite master artist who's better than every other artist just because his genre. Look at Brian Eno, he's easily on the level the classical masters. If you really think Mozart or whatever was superior to all modern artists you need to listen to more music.

It's not all about the sound, it's about when it was created too. That people several hundred years later can compose similar music doesn't mean they are geniuses as Mozart is generally regarded. We know a lot more about music nowadays and have methods to produce it.

Techno? Your fucking clueless

Well Trance is just a derivative form of techno! So why does him calling trance a kind of techno make him clueless? Fucking clueless at that? It was the introduction of Techno & its techniques to Goa that led to Goa Trance.

I suppose those just getting into music see all the genres much more clearly than those that were involved in its history. When I first started listening to Goa, it was just referred to as psychedelic techno. I used to hear Flying Rhino Records at Techno nights.

So I always thought of Trance as just a type of Techno, the best kind but still just a kind of Techno. Whether I'm correct or not doesn't matter. Everyone has different opinions on what music is. Some call all downbeat music ambient whereas others swear that only beatless drones is, it doesn't really matter in the end.

But try thinking before calling someone clueless, I'm pretty sure I recall you calling Cosmosis, Hallucinogen & The Infinity Project's dub tracks as reggae that I put into a mix "Why is every other track reggae?" :lol:

As malevol3nt said, on the feeling it gives, since I'm of the opinion that music is fairly subjective and essentially the feeling music gives you is what you base you like/dislike of it on. What I want to know is that can classical music give me the same soaring, euphoric, joyful feeling that oldskool goa does? If so, which pieces can, because I have no knowledge of classical music...

well....there is so much classical music that gives me amazing feelings,where I can feel in GOA sometimes.........

some of them.....:Rachmaninov-Piano Concerto nr.3., http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=8CjEckL4994 (part 1.)

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=G7y8zLnQi-M&...feature=related ) (part 2.)

well....there is a story about this concert,he made it than played and conducted it and later in the evening he came home and beat up his wife,raped her and killed her,than he hide a partitur and made a suicide(he had 2 personalitys,one good and one evil,when he awake and discovered what has he done he killed himself ....)....when peolpe found partiture they saw that he composed it by this happening and they saw a words under notes what discribes it......

people who dont like such as stories dont read just listen and enjoy........

I will help you to recognize some main parts of it........1:32 is the begining of concerto,you can hear a main theme what describe him,Russian composer going home after his magnificent performance,in this theme you can feel a strong Russian national influence....this is most beautifull melody I ever heard in my life,and tempo speed is cca 140 bpm(GOAAA;)).....2:23 this theme is played by orchestra and piano has polifone variations of it.....his going home,and thinking....thinking........3:45 he knocks energicly and in 3:48 he enters,a beautifull arpeggio/passage describes it (someone mentioned arpeggiatos in goa?:) well,listen to this....) at 4:09 his wife(the orchestra)says"hello my love,I missed you,I love you so much...." ,4:43. start conversation between his wife(orchestra) and him (piano),question/answer type of music...... 5:14 he started to tell her how much he loves her.....and yes....he loved her very much.........and she answers with same love........6:15 his coming nearer and nearer to her and at 6:25 they are passionately kissing......6:48 he started to chase her trough a house,love chaseing like a 2 doves in love.......7:40 first part of main theme with variating modulations what describe us his suddenly mood change......8:09 he isnt happy any more and second personality is starting to take over him.......here cellos describe his wife asking him whats wrong with him suddenly and he (piano) answers "nothing,let me go...." with very sad and depressive view from his eyes,she repeated and then the second personality takes over him totally at 8:52 and started to treath her and coming closer to her and she is moving back.....here you must change from part 1. to part 2....he treath her and closing and she moves back more and more till 0:13(pt.2...) when he started to push her and yell more and more......0:34 he started to beat her,you can clearly feel that......0:36 tromphets discribes his wifes scream gradually and fall down....0:46 he (piano) victoriously and evil stand up above her and yell and she (strings) sobs in halfswoon...(this is a real horror....dark lovers will enjoy this part......:))....in this period he probably came to idea to rape her......2:13 starts a raping sex scene,he is in for 1st time and he made it very unpassion and hard,you can clearly hear that.......2:21 he continues and he makes it quicker and quicker whole this period till 2:28 when he slowing......(almost with style....lol)....2:33 he continues same but more harder and quicker till 2:40 when stops again.....but just till 2:43 and again the same but this time he doesnt stops till 3:08 when you can clearly hear where he came doing it.....(discusting.....:))........3:20 starts cadence with typical Rachmaninov accords for extremlly big hands,this is very heavy to play,amasing music.......listen to beautifull arrpegios at 4:28...4:34 I hear totally GOA TRANCE here,this arrpegios,theme changes from flute to oboe and clarinette to english horn(extraordinary beautifull)......in this period he is awakeing from dark side......5:18 he awakes,you can hear loving theme from begining........he is realizing what has he done..........6:03 startes moment where I will let you to imagine how and where he takes his life.......6:53 main theme again to conclude 1.st movement.....I highly recomend you to listen also the other 2 movements,they are totally amazing also but with no story.....:)

I want to mension that this piano concerto is one of the heaviest piano pieces of all time.......if you like it,buy a normal CD,every CD-shop must have it.....

.....and at the end,I hope that I didnt something wrong,and dont get banned........it was only a story....:)

Well Trance is just a derivative form of techno! So why does him calling trance a kind of techno make him clueless? Fucking clueless at that? It was the introduction of Techno & its techniques to Goa that led to Goa Trance.

I suppose those just getting into music see all the genres much more clearly than those that were involved in its history. When I first started listening to Goa, it was just referred to as psychedelic techno. I used to hear Flying Rhino Records at Techno nights.

So I always thought of Trance as just a type of Techno, the best kind but still just a kind of Techno. Whether I'm correct or not doesn't matter. Everyone has different opinions on what music is. Some call all downbeat music ambient whereas others swear that only beatless drones is, it doesn't really matter in the end.

But try thinking before calling someone clueless, I'm pretty sure I recall you calling Cosmosis, Hallucinogen & The Infinity Project's dub tracks as reggae that I put into a mix "Why is every other track reggae?" :lol:

Thanks. That saved me some typing time :)

It's not too common to listen to a piano concerto and envision a rape... :huh:

Your absurd story about Rachmaninov, or did someone else make that up? His music has nothing to do with neither rape or goatrance. I love his music and that was nearly... insulting :D

everything is possible if you are STEVE-I. :lol:

Although classical music and Goa are two different things there's an obvious connection.

They're both complex music with many layers that flow together.

Now although I really believe that to write classical music you have to be very talented (and IMO it's the most difficult kind of muisc to write) I still prefer Goa over classical. The problem with classical music is that although is really complex and melodic I rarely remember any of these melodies after listening to the song, even after many listens. Plus, Goa is made with non natural sounds, so the diversity is endless, unlike acoustic music that always depends to a variety of music organs-large variety but still.

Your absurd story about Rachmaninov, or did someone else make that up? His music has nothing to do with neither rape or goatrance. I love his music and that was nearly... insulting :D

Hey,ofcourse that is untrue,I said that was a story......story doesnt need to be true story allways and doesnt meen that it is a lie.......I appologise to all who are insolted with this story,when I first time listened this concert before some 15 years ago some old crazy teacher told me that and I was totally shocked as many of you now mabey.....I was more impressed to music but also very upset......and when I heared that it is no true in it I had listened it so much that I feel that I can write those whole notes alone.........That great feeling I wish to everyone.......thats why I wrote that post before,and one thing......that describe isnt nonsence.....you can defintly see that story listening it so........offcourse.....it isn nice this violence middle part,but hey.......this kicking at 0:33 pt.2 and screaming tromphets.....it just sound like that......and rapeing part to.....mabey is that Bronfman doesnt play it like that,but Ashkenazy DEFINITELY plays it so(first time I listened Ashkenazy...).....And one thing......Offcourse that I dont listen it because of that story,I NEVER imagine that and I wrote it here just to intrigue people on different way to listen that kind of music....Only true story is in 2nd concerto who he dedicate to his psychiatrist who take him out of heavy depression,he didnt take well leaving from his motherland...........

What works do you love?.......Im playing now Variations on theme of Corelli.........

The problem with classical music is that although is really complex and melodic I rarely remember any of these melodies after listening to the song, even after many listens.

I actually consider that a good thing sometimes. There are so many different melodies being played that I will never memorize the song and get sick/bored of it. It's cool being able to discover new things each time I listen to a song, but I do also enjoy more "catchy" music (like blues, reggae, rock, etc). I do remember some classical melodies too, but there are just so many that I couldn't possibly remember them all

I do consider classical music "superior" as far as technical ability and songwriting go, especially when you consider how long ago it was written. It's just some very complex music rhythmically, melodically, and harmonically. That doesn't necessarily mean it's better music though, simpler songs can be just as good or better IMO. Some music just sounds good to me, some doesn't.

I don't think goa can really be compared to classical music. They do share some similarities (as all music does) but there are more differences than similarities. I think the most similar melodies in classical music would be from the Boroque era, but it's not similar at all rhythmically. JS Bach, Domenico Scarlatti, and Carlos Seixas are my favorite boroque composers. Ambient like Brian Eno/Steve Roach is probably the most similar electronic music to classical IMO, but it's still not that similar.

On the other hand, goa/psy/etc composers get to do some very interesting things with sound itself. It's not just about writing the melodies, but also tweaking/perfecting the SOUND of those melodies. This is something classical composers couldn't really do back then.

On the other hand, goa/psy/etc composers get to do some very interesting things with sound itself. It's not just about writing the melodies, but also tweaking/perfecting the SOUND of those melodies. This is something classical composers couldn't really do back then.

I second that

I love both electronic and classical music, they are my favorite genres in music.

Classical music represents the ultimate in melody and composition.

Melody, harmony, the structure of a composition, the way it develops... Expressivess, dynamics, technical ability (to play the instruments)... I think those are some of the main powers of classical music. These create emotion and atmosphere. And the performance of a piece is everything.

Nothing I've heard in electronic music can be compared to the best classical music on the compositional level (except some rare new age and quasi-classical artists like Vangelis, only for a little bit...).

But what is really limiting in classical music is that there's basicly a fixed set of one or more types of sounds/instruments.

Electronic music creates a whole new world from the endless possibilities of SOUND (including beats/rhythms).

In the most extreme case electronic music can be made only of sound(s), with no melody (ambient). Also, in electronic music even the simplest repetitive melodies can become totally awesome with the right sounds, effects and tweaks (and when paired with the right beats, basslines etc. like in trance)... while the actual melodies/notes could be totally lame when played on a piano for example.

Of course there is electronic music with really good melodies, but it's just not on the same level as classical music IMO.

In the end both types of music can be very beautiful, emotional, atmospheric, rhythmic, energetic, psychedelic, mesmerizing, overwhelming, relaxing, entrancing..... just in a different way! :)

Ok but if we're going to try... it would have to be something with all kinds of fast melodies in a tight rhythm...

So how about..... http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=_pY08e_tdtA

Listen to the melodies at 1:09 and 2:31 ... it's trance! :D

well....there is so much classical music that gives me amazing feelings,where I can feel in GOA sometimes.........

some of them.....:Rachmaninov-Piano Concerto nr.3., http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=8CjEckL4994 (part 1.)

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=G7y8zLnQi-M&...feature=related ) (part 2.)

I liked both, something to get started with :) There is definitely complexity in the tracks and it keeps your attention but I disliked the organ in classical music (organ right?) it kind of blares?! :unsure: The thing about classical is that the rhythms and composition are fine, but the range of sounds is so limited that it can be rather dulling. You can't just go beyond. Every classical piece has the same sounding notes and the same instruments.

For starters my music background except psy/goa is industrial/ebm/noise/electrogoth black/death/thrash metal and ofc psychedelic rock.I consider classical music the zenith of composing music at least the last hundred years and of course i cant compare it to any of the genres i hear (psy and goa included which is the topic )in terms of quality and emotion.My opinion is that if you dont have even a basic relationship with classical music you cant really judge what quality music really is ....

a little something for you all to enjoy :drama:

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=-3WWZQyPs30

extraordinary performance,great sensibility,this piece is so hard to be performed in such light and dinamic way as Zimerman does.....I have lots of his recordings,dont like much his Chopin....its great also but my music nature admires more Rubinstein,Lipatti,Pogorelich and even Horowitz........but he plays Schubert almost like him self probably.........

hey....here is something for real psytrance lovers....this is real psychedelia.....and it plays the best performer of this piece.....its lo-fi but it doesnt matter,you will get it........:) here I also get ,in some parts, this feeling where I sometimes feel in some GOA/PSY bomb track.........

enjoy.....http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=_pFsMqVr3B8