The Zap! - Big Bang

Cubensis Theory

The Zap! - Big Bang

Posted Image

Listen to Samples

Available NOW on Beatport.com

Available soon in shops everywhere

I finally got ahold of this much anticipated album. I've been spinning it nonstop for the past 3 days.

'The Zap!' is a project consisting of two of the world greatest psychedelic masterminds,

Benji Vaughn (Younger Brother, Prometheus) and Raja Ram (Shpongle, 1200 Mics).

Their other music groups/projects are very dear to my heart, and 'The Zap' has immediately won me over as well.

This album is nothing like the dynamic duo's other music projects.

Don't pick this album expecting a Younger Brother/Shpongle fusion. There's no psychill to be found here.

What we are left with are some extremely hypnotic flowing dance tracks.

Alot of Prometheus-style sounds float around throughout the album, but with a sophisticated hint of 'Raja's seasoning.'

Let's Take a Look:

1) Magic Toys: 6:11

This track is nothing short of stunning.

The intro is absolutely mind blowing and has instantly become one of my favorite album intros ever.

We start off with a lush and magically altered music box while the sound of toys and children swirl around the speakers.

The bass drops to reveal the true Zap style with raw arps and smooth filter sweeps; eventually bringing in a very 'shponglesque' break-beat.

They are some very distinguishable 'Prometheus' effects that grab your attention throughout the track.

The end of the song closes with some beautiful and mysterious sounding pads.

A very strong start to this album. Its a great warm-up for the 4/4 dancetracks ahead...

2) 360 Volts: 6:06

Heheheh....I've had this track stuck in my head for days....

A very raw housey bassline drives this intensely hypnotic track.

It has some highly addictive, processed, almost robotic, female vocals driven even more by the beat, while floaty synth arps tickle the earbuds.

Extremely satisfying and easily one of my favorite songs on this album.

3) Everybody Atomic: 7:48

This track is rather hard to describe.

It opens with some very tingly synthetic bell arps and throws in a very lush and throbby kick drum.

Lots of robotic sounding synths in this one. And some classic vocoded voice samples.

A very good track for fans of house music.

4) I Can See Rainbows: 7:02

This track starts of with an acid synth line that leads into a classic Prometheus style bassline and beat.

It slowly evolves with more high rippling synths and effects, and has lots of processed vocal samples throughout.

This track was a little repetitive for me, but very intense and throbby.

5) The Mouse and the Opera Singer: 6:01

Very bizarre track that has an almost "gabber" type feel to it.

It opens with a 4/4 swing beat that carries through the entire track.

Very grungy, yet somehow very hypnotic.

Some weird vocal chanting unfolds in the middle of the track and leads into dynamic "orchestral" stabs.

Very strange track indeed. But I liked it!

6) Proton Pusher: 7:00

For those of you who didn't see the

video, this is a very retro fast-paced dance track.

It's not something I would normally enjoy, but it's just so fun to hear it coming from these two.

There is something actually very psychedelic and driving about this track. I think its going to be a blast when they play live at festivals.

7) Hoffman's Watch: 6:33

Probably my least favorite track on the album.

It sounds like a classic house track with a modern psychedelic twist.

Very housey basslines and percussion throughout.

Near the end they bring in an aggressive lead that sounds quite nice, but overall it's fairly weak track.

8) Start Again: 7:25

Opens with very lovely robotic blips and beeps with a nice thumpy kick.

That eventually leads into a classic psytrance style bass and kick drum.

It sounds like a standard psytrance track with a little more dignity quality.

It's nothing you haven't heard before, but you've never heard anything made with so much intent and love.

A great classy psytrance track to swing you back to the "good ol' days" when psytrance meant something.

9) One Forty Eight: 6:51

Finally we end with this very thumpy almost "Hallucinogen" style psytrance track.

I figured it to be inevitable since they have both work extensively with him,

but this track has a very distinct Simon Posford feel to it.

Very thumpy kick with lush sounds and effects swirling around your head...

Needless to say its a wonderful ending to a great album.

I think this album could go down as an electronica classic. It has a timeless quality to it.

With and open mind and listening ears, you'll soon feel the magic of The Zap!.

These guys didn't necessarily invent anything new. Rather, they took old ideas and pushed them to the next level.

I give this album a 8.9/10

(10 being Hallucinogen in Dub quality, 1 being horrible and unbearable)

Favorite tracks: 1, 2, 9

Thank you Benji and Raja.

You guys are at the forefront of a genre that was starting to become dull and boring.

Thank you for opening our eyes and minds once again.

Funny how taste differs..

#1: Either this track is really hard to digest, and needs alot more listens.. Or ells it's crap all the way through.. I believe the last option is most likely.

It starts out with some baby sound, and a baby bell ringing.. A "psychedelic" riff adds on (and no, it DON'T sound like Prometheus-arcadia magic, but i can hear what he's trying to copy :P ) A breakbeat starts, keeps going nowhere slow, and then ends..

#2: :lol: That singing is plain out ridiculous! Let's turn on the circuits, it's time to turn on the power, My processor is hungry for the 360volts! ( :lol: ) The electro house groove is actually pretty good, but i don't feel it's going anywhere. Mediocre track if they remove the singing in the start!

#3:Can't even listen to this shit, i hear notes not fitting with the bassline, wich is IMO kind of thin.. Skipped the last half of the track

#4:Prometheus bass? Wtf are you talking about.. This is a arpegiator bassline (like ticon-models on cocaine, just not as good) Anyways, pretty boring track.. Listenable, nothing more.

#5:Psychedelic minimal electro.. Doesn't work for me, maybe it does for you? Skipped after the inspector gadget samples started..

#6:Terrible.. This is where my patience ran up.. Don't even bother finishing this album...

SO, i feel alot of good ideas is wasted on a pretty bad production! And sounds like he's aming to hit a certain mixture of styles (psy,electro,house) insteed of focusing on the overall soundpicture... I find it pretty boring, empty and soulless... But maybe im wrong, listen for yourself!

It's not odd that it's different... It's odd that the quality ain't better if your right :huh:

The quality is top notch.

I think there will be a lot of people who "don't get it" though....

It takes a bit of an open mind, but once you really listen...

you'll hear how incredibly well crafted this album actually is.

Like I said, I feel it's extremely hypnotic.

Lots of mind numbing frequencies going on.... :rolleyes:

Benji and Raja know exactly what they're doing,

although the listeners may not...

Guest antic

The quality is top notch.

I think there will be a lot of people who "don't get it" though....

It takes a bit of an open mind, but once you really listen...

you'll hear how incredibly well crafted this album actually is.

Like I said, I feel it's extremely hypnotic.

Lots of mind numbing frequencies going on.... :rolleyes:

Benji and Raja know exactly what they're doing,

although the listeners may not...

+1. Many people were complaining about Bigwigs / Kino Oko releases being badly mixed / mastered / produced, but they don't know shit - it is a style they've consciously chosen, to sound different than anybody else. It's the same with this album, as far as I can tell from the samples. Too bad it's on TIP World, because it means lousy cover art... But well, it's the music that matters and I liked what I've heard so far - will definitely buy it.

Maybe you're right guys, i just don't get it :( To me, it sounds like shit production, half created ideas(or just shitty ones), and a wierd mixture of styles, that i think is a failure... but its all IMO ofcource!

And seriously, the vocals in track #2 :lol: :lol: I lost all respect for this album after that

Oh c'mon. I loved those vocals! :rolleyes:

Why would you lose respect after hearing them?

Ps: This post is the 1000th post in 'album reviews 2008'! :clapping:

The vocals are so sad, not even Alien project would consider using them!

Maybe i need to use the Cubensis theory on this one! it wouldn't be the first time new music "opened up" to me that way ;)

• 2 weeks later...

well, im happy to hear that, especially coming from a stubern person

and yes track 6 is growing on me too as well as the album, the more i listen to it, the more i like it.

even track 2!!!!!! hahahaha :lol:

Haha Yeah, hate to admit when im wrong :D

But don't be TOO happy, i still don't like the other tracks :lol:

This is just awful. I tried so hard to like it. I'm a fan of Raja Ram and I don't mind admitting it (despite his occasional cheesiness). But this is just a lame, electro cash-in.

Not psychedelic at all, irritating plastic 80's synth sounds, appalling samples. Weak sauce all around.

Deleted from my HD and may it never pollute my ear holes again. I'm going to have to listen to a whole lot of Kindzadza and Voice Of Cod to restore balance to my psyche.

(I will admit that Magic Toys is cool though)

Kindzadza

its crazy how taste differs

Kindzadza its unsupportable imo, yes psychadelics, but fuck, theres so much better crazy dark, for an example the nordland orchestra for me its the summum of dark, no its okay Kindzadza, but yes i understand why you dont like the zap if you love Kindzadza

Kindzadza

its crazy how taste differs

Kindzadza its unsupportable imo, yes psychadelics, but fuck, theres so much better crazy dark, for an example the nordland orchestra for me its the summum of dark, no its okay Kindzadza, but yes i understand why you dont like the zap if you love Kindzadza

There are a lot of artists I could have named there. I chose Kindzadza because I had just finished listening to Waves From Inner Space, which I like very much. His earlier stuff was too noisy for me. My point was, after hearing The Zap I felt like I needed my aural palette cleansed.

Gus

Yeah i like Kindzadza as well.. But i also enjoy Ace Ventura, Prometheus, concept, Logic bomb, matenda, yahel, CBS, ott, dead mau5, Trantemøller, tiesto, Wutang clan, Creed, SOAD and Norah Jones... Now, how would you compare that i like both Kindzadza and Norah Jones?? You can't really put it up like that ;)

Plus, if the style wasn't something that we usually enjoy, we wouldn't answer(i guess i can speak for both of us Gus? ) :) Example i don't comment RA or DIMENSION 5 or whatever they are called since i don't like the goa sound. But i understand you try to defend something you like, that's cool dude :) It's all a matter of taste

Good production (fantastic actually), but I still can't come to terms with final musical product. Why is it so boring??! :P

It has so many nice details and very well crafted elements, but still most tracks on this album can't get me out of the chair, I think it here when it's just a simple non-matching taste-pattern between me and the artists comes into play.

The first tracks (Magic Toys) is really nice though (more like an opener than a prober stand-alone track somehow though), but track 2 :( ... why use lyrics if u have nothing to say??! Trying to sound like The Knife (or something) but failing so hard! And the electro sounds is quite tacky as well (imo) but still well produced.

Track 3, 4 (and 5 to a lesser extent) has the "same" electro-house flavor... I can't really enjoy it, maybe if was drunk at some bar with a lot dancing girls...?!

Tracks 6 (Proton Pusher) I like, the first track with a hint of psychedelic, a lot more drive than any of the previous tracks as well. Next track(#7 Hoffman's Watch) is back in the more house grooves again, better than the earlier ones though, a lot more funny sounds that clicks around, but still... ah fuck it its acceptable!

Track 8 (Start Again) is more a classic slow psy-trance track, nothing new here, sadly nothing that interesting as well, the ending is rather nice though... Track 9 is a bit faster and a bit more fun too, but still... beh?! Not enough to get me bouncing!

This album is a good example for me where the fact that fat production is not all that is needed to make a great album, its also needed to share the taste of the artists involved, and in this I fail, thus, the album fails me!

Just to sum up:

So tracks 1, 6 & (7) I like, this will never be classic in my book! So for people who doesn't have a high affinity to electro house be warned!

• 1 month later...

This is an album that certainly stands itself out from the crowd of most of the psy trance that is being released these days, and most of the electro/electro house too. So for that it gets my due credit. As an album I don't think it's particularly mindblowing or fantastic, but it is certainly a whole lot of fun to listen and probably even more fun to dance to. Although not so much of a fan of the more generic full on stuff that it evolves into by the end of the album (apart from hoffman's watch which is cool). So in conclusion, if your expectations aren't too high and you just appreciate this album for what it is: a fun, funky album that will put a smile on your face then you won't be disappointed.

7/10 from me

Favourites:

2, 3(!), 4, 5 (!!) and 7