Crappy tracks with catchy samples

Riton

Hey,

First of all i do realize this is a rather scheisty title, and i apologize...

I was watching the xxxperience 10 year dvd and came across the Eskimo extra videos...

Let me say that while his music isn't quite to my taste, i love how into it he looks.

That to me is part of the whole entertainer thing (watch the fatboy slim dvd on his brazil tour and look how happy norman cook looks) and just watching him makes me wanna go dance... and then i hear the music and usually sit back down... but anyway...

In one of those vids he is playing a track that is on Dynamic's 2006 album Dynamic Sound, called Time To Get Serious.

The track pretty much sucks apart from one of the very last "drops" that Eskimo loves to (ab)use in all his tracks.

A very simple "one two three four - final round - fight!" (taken from Street Fighter) which somehow straight up put a smile on my face.

It's a bit hard to describe, but does that ever happen to you, that you find a track you can't listen to entirely because of how bad it sucks, yet there's a short part you can't get enough of?

Thanks for your time,

Dav

Well i can think of tons... its just like crappy melody... horrible breakdown "WE ARE GONNA PARTY LIKE THE WORLD ENDS TOMORROW" or similarly awe inspiring sample... that just makes you hate a track. It'd be really great if people didn't do that and focused more on making good tracks.

I know what you mean :) When the beat drops and then suddenly there is a sample that is extremely clever or relevent to whats going on in the dancefloor or your mind. Tough to really get a good one though - far too many are too in your face or say extremely generic shit about the DJ droppin da bass or where are you DJ kind of shit that makes my ears vomit a little...

I don't have a reportior of tracks doing this I can start naming off though, since these moments are just a passing smile or two, though some of them out there have been really profound and send a chill down your spine. I know there are some great ones in shpongle and mystery of the yeti, 12 moons, and a small cache of other artists. Usually its always best when its subtle, and not some epic story or someone shouting generic house kind of stuff, or the obligatory sci-fi movie quote. Or matrix stuff.

Fractal Glider - Chasing Ganesh(a) - Mediocre track (well, it's ok) wrapped around some brilliant samples (even though I'm not a big Simpsons fan at all). This goes for both the original version of the song as well as the 3D Remix. That's the only one I can think of ATM.

Then there's of course the complete opposite, tracks that would've been much more enjoyable without horrible quotes and samples, as stated earlier in this thread. Bio-Tonic - Fly Away is a good example of mine. Powerful track ruined by samples of uttermost crapiness.

I know what you mean :) When the beat drops and then suddenly there is a sample that is extremely clever or relevent to whats going on in the dancefloor or your mind. Tough to really get a good one though - far too many are too in your face or say extremely generic shit about the DJ droppin da bass or where are you DJ kind of shit that makes my ears vomit a little...

I don't have a reportior of tracks doing this I can start naming off though, since these moments are just a passing smile or two, though some of them out there have been really profound and send a chill down your spine. I know there are some great ones in shpongle and mystery of the yeti, 12 moons, and a small cache of other artists. Usually its always best when its subtle, and not some epic story or someone shouting generic house kind of stuff, or the obligatory sci-fi movie quote. Or matrix stuff.

Agreed... don't mention the dj.

At least not in anything psychedelic... in morning psy thats ok

• 3 weeks later...