Posted Image

Kettel

My Dogan

Sending Orbs

Tracklist

1 My Dogan (4:47)

2 Dogan 9247 (1:02)

3 Mauerbrecher (6:07)

4 Billiton Beruh With Cleo&Wouter (2:09)

5 Little Tongues (4:16)

6 Meeuwuh (1:20)

7 Halt Him (5:34)

8 Mannschaft (2:32)

9 Follow Me! (4:57)

10 Peeksje 1994 (2:00)

11 Sekt I Sing (7:16)

12 Ok Norah (0:52)

13 Sylvia (3:02)

14 Afwezig (3:31)

15 The Second 2006 (5:06)

16 Escape From ETA Th2 (1:41)

17 Choo Choo India (7:26)

18 He's His Own Man (6:33)

I kept seeing this beautiful cover & I knew I had to buy the music lat was lying underneath. I'm fortunate that the music was a lush melodious roller coaster of an album. A very nice IDM gem, the best I've heard from Kettel so far :D

1 My Dogan

We start off with the title track. Nice random IDM beats under an equally random couple of melodies. For it's randomness though it does have a very well structured feel. Like someone has taken some nice sounds, thrown them up in the air & they have formed into a lovely loving sound by themselves and landed here in my ears to my delight. Good Start.

2 Dogan 9247

A wee track here. Squelchy pads & a fluctuating drone obscure a muttered vocal. It's so quiet, wear headphones.

3 Mauerbrecher

A really funkily nice melody right of the bat. It's melodies like this that this album is made of. It's short & stabbing sounds making up & nice twisting melody. The beats are a little more danceable & the the second melody that comes in after a few minutes seems to match the beats perfectly. Add a long underlying drones that moves up & down tunefully and you get a damn good track. Lovely.

A lush piano melody acts as a transition into the next track, like it's a track of it's own but just about 15 seconds.

4 Billiton Beruh With Cleo&Wouter

A slower melody and soft piano cords form this wee 2 minuter. Softly stabbing synths form the melody & the lack of beats make it a nice chilled but busy atmosphere. I'd like to have seen this made longer to see what he could have done with it.

5 Little Tongues

The melody is made up similarly to the previous track with short sharp sounds but it's the bassline that really makes the track. The bassline plays it's own melody that compliments the other melodies which are more obvious. Slower beats than mauerbrecher but just as intricate. Ends on a twisted piano straightened out.

6 Meeuwuh

Another wee track. Very random sounds forming a melody somehow No beats at first just a melody or two then about 10 seconds of big beats & back to just melody. Weird.

7 Halt Him

Birdsong & distant human chatter for an ambient intro. The melody slowly teases in, starting off soft but getting more & more prominent as we move forward. The sounds of lapping waves heard in the background eventually morph into more mechanical sounds, like the ocean of a machine world. At the end comes in a piano melody, it's soft & melancholic. Under it are softly spoken words. Too soft to infer meaning but enough to get the feeling. A really nice sad ambient track.

8 Mannschaft

The melody is uplifting but after the last track seems subdued in it's high spirits. Like a facade, happy for our benefit but it has an undertone of depression. No beats here either but little stabs of bass act as a percussive element.

9 Follow Me!

The percussion is back & so is the crazy melody. Crazy beats plus crazy melodies equals strange twisted crazy track. The piano in it is faster & although very well done hints at someone just smashing a keyboard. At times you can hear that two keys have been hit instead of one or 3 instead of 2 & it just doesn't seem perfect. It's this imperfection though that gives it the charms. Structured randomness.

10 Peeksje 1994

Another soft wee track here. One of the most beautiful melodies of the entire album. It really is heart moving in it's lushness & I wish it was longer. I'd love to see this progress but it's over before you know it.

11 Sekt I Sing

A really fun funky track that makes me bounce along whenever I hear it. It beats, the energetic melodies, the twists & the overall atmosphere make it difficult not to move.

12 Ok Norah

A tiny track, less than a minute. It's just a short melody, a nice sturdy one at that that fades away into a sample. If you're happy & you know clap your hands, If you're happy & you know clap your hands, If you're happy & you know then you face short surely show it, if you're happy & you know it clap your hands. Yeah!

13 Sylvia

A really sharp crisp melody sounds like a winters morning. Beats try a few times to kick in before aided by an amazing bassline that shakes your body for you & a melody for higher up & one from the Earth the beats finally make it although only for a very short time.

14 Afwezig

A faster track again with quick beats right from the start & a driving melody. A nice little track with cool trippy beats & another vocal that can't quite be made out. It's understandable as a conversation between a man and a woman but nothing beyond that. Pretty trippy stuff.

15 The Second 2006

Quicker again with quite drum & bass like beats. The track just buzzes with energy & the melody is a slipstream of aural pleasure. I'm happy that this is one of the longer tracks as I have the time to enjoy it. Great stuff. Was the first 2006 this good?

16 Escape From ETA Th2

Another short track, I want to say transmission tracks but they all have a life of their own that they are more than just transmissions. This one is deep & dark. Like a triumphant night in midsummer with a victory over something you knew was right.

17 Choo Choo India

A slow ambient start with some more mutterings of those humans. The mood is very slow & relaxed. I'm put in mind of a calm spring night. Warm enough to not need a jacket but brisk enough to need a sweater. The stars are out & the moon casts an eerie light on the ocean as I stare out at it's vast depths & mystery. The laughing of a child is like a passer by & tries to divert my attention & afterwards I can hear half of peoples conversations in the background, my mind in two places.

18 He's His Own Man

We finish with another ambient track. I think a lot of people will not like the end to this album but I think it's a great end to a great album. Soft melodious drones in the background. A heart beat of percussion & softly spoken speech. A soft melancholic ambient journey to end on kind of makes me want to put it on again. Quality.

So the pace of this album is incredibly random. It jumps from breaks to chill, to steady beats to ambient to drum & bass to breaks again & ends with ambient. The layers of the album are also very varied. I'll hear new things everytime I listen to this. The melodies are for the most part stunning in their beauty, strong & well made. The piano that comes into a lot of tracks is very nicely done each time & I especially like the melancholic edge of the ambient tracks.

So as a lit of adjectives I'd say it's varied, melodic, melancholic, random & beautiful.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How would this compare to "Myam James" pt 1?

Oh and great review as always abasio, wish i could hear the tracks, but so far your reviews has always been spot on and ingeniously described with the details of each track

I think this is a better ride. Mayam James pt1 has some tracks I think are the best I have heard from Kettel but overall this is better :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...