Making the Leap

So I've finally made the leap, and I'm really happy about it. I've spent the last several days working on my first Cubase track (in C4), and I can safely say I'm never going back to Reason, even with ReWire. It was fun while it lasted, but Cubase is just more versatile, and after you get the hang of it, it's actually easier in most ways. It just feels and sounds more sophisticated, and I don't feel the need, like I always did with Reason, to cover up any lack in sound quality with tricks and effects.

Very cool.

Next I need to learn the whole VST thing, especially since I'm now lacking a sampler, vocoder, dedicated drum module and maybe a super-awesome synth. (Suggestions are welcome. I'll pay money for these things if they're good.)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey that's great news :). Switching to an open2vst environment is allways a good thing. Anyways, what kind of music do you make? Some infos would be good so we could recommend you what are good synths and effects to choose from. Btw, you can check these 2 sites to tryout demo's of various synths/efx before buying them, and theres also a TON of freeware synths/efx to download, and some of them are much better than commercial products:

KVR-Audio

Dont Crack - VST Freebies Site & VST Shop

Anyways, have fun, it's a whole new world of synths out there to explore ;)

Great links, man! Thanks! :D

Do you know of any specific examples of free VSTs that are better than the commercial ones? For instance, I've heard a lot of good things about Absynth, but if there's a similar - or better - synth out there for free, I'm all over it. Same goes for the sampler, vocoder and drum module.

I write electronica with a vintage 70s/80s bent, leaning towards the IDM vein, but without the excess noise often associated with it. And now that I hear what Cubase is capable of, I have to hide my old music. :ph34r::D

Yes, I hope it's a fun process to find good instruments. Thanks.

Well a specific example would be Crystal. It's an amazing VST, you can create beautiful pads with it, and it's good for some leads too. Also rhythmical parts are good to programm with it. Anyways, there's a top list of freebies and commercial vst's on kvraudio, the link is here >> KVR Audio VST Ratings . They're sorted by GUI, Sound, Features etc. And you can choose to list either top freebies or the commercial ones.

Another good thing that just started some year(s) ago is the KVR Audio Developer challenge, where they give a prize to the winners of the best made freeware vst instruments and effects, you can see a list of those from this year here (its still in progress so no toplists for now) >> KVR Audio Developer Challenge 2007, and the toplist from last year is here >> KVR Audio Developer Challenge 2006.

Anywho, just try googleing "Top freeware VST Instruments / Effects", there should be a pretty extensive list of freebies on some forum site, I really can't remember the link rite now. Have fun! :)

So I've finally made the leap, and I'm really happy about it. I've spent the last several days working on my first Cubase track (in C4), and I can safely say I'm never going back to Reason, even with ReWire. It was fun while it lasted, but Cubase is just more versatile, and after you get the hang of it, it's actually easier in most ways. It just feels and sounds more sophisticated, and I don't feel the need, like I always did with Reason, to cover up any lack in sound quality with tricks and effects.

Very cool.

Next I need to learn the whole VST thing, especially since I'm now lacking a sampler, vocoder, dedicated drum module and maybe a super-awesome synth. (Suggestions are welcome. I'll pay money for these things if they're good.)

Hi Otto! =)

Vocoder - Native Instruments Vokator

Vocoder - Orange Vocoder

Sampler - Native Instruments Kontakt

Drum Machine - Native Instruments Battery

Drum Machine - RMIV

Awsome Synth - Native Instruments all =)

I personally do not like the RMIV as a drum module, but I know a lot of people that do. I feel that the Battery is a better choice since of all the tweaking options =)

I just changed from Ableton live to Logic Pro... and fuck, its a hard change haha =)

Well a specific example would be Crystal. It's an amazing VST, you can create beautiful pads with it, and it's good for some leads too. Also rhythmical parts are good to programm with it. Anyways, there's a top list of freebies and commercial vst's on kvraudio, the link is here >> KVR Audio VST Ratings . They're sorted by GUI, Sound, Features etc. And you can choose to list either top freebies or the commercial ones.

Another good thing that just started some year(s) ago is the KVR Audio Developer challenge, where they give a prize to the winners of the best made freeware vst instruments and effects, you can see a list of those from this year here (its still in progress so no toplists for now) >> KVR Audio Developer Challenge 2007, and the toplist from last year is here >> KVR Audio Developer Challenge 2006.

Anywho, just try googleing "Top freeware VST Instruments / Effects", there should be a pretty extensive list of freebies on some forum site, I really can't remember the link rite now. Have fun! :)

Thanks again, Malevol3nt. I looked around at KVR a bit yesterday and I was shocked by all the options. It almost seems daunting to have so many, but I suppose part of the fun is looking and finding. I'll let you know if I find anything recommendable. I did see a couple really juicy things. :D

Hi Otto! =)

Vocoder - Native Instruments Vokator

Vocoder - Orange Vocoder

Sampler - Native Instruments Kontakt

Drum Machine - Native Instruments Battery

Drum Machine - RMIV

Awsome Synth - Native Instruments all =)

I personally do not like the RMIV as a drum module, but I know a lot of people that do. I feel that the Battery is a better choice since of all the tweaking options =)

I just changed from Ableton live to Logic Pro... and fuck, its a hard change haha =)

Hi Nemo! :D

Thanks for the recommendations. Yeah, man, it looks like the NI instruments are really solid. I'll have to take them for a test drive.

Why did you make the switch from Live? Can you still use it, or has Logic incorporated some of the live playability features?

Congratulations Per! You won't regret it, I promise you. Don't forget about Reason completely though, it can still serve as a useful part of your sonic palette :) Looking forward to hearing how it goes with you.

Congratulations Per! You won't regret it, I promise you. Don't forget about Reason completely though, it can still serve as a useful part of your sonic palette :) Looking forward to hearing how it goes with you.

Thanks, Colin.

Email on its way, presently.

Great links, man! Thanks! :D

Do you know of any specific examples of free VSTs that are better than the commercial ones? For instance, I've heard a lot of good things about Absynth, but if there's a similar - or better - synth out there for free, I'm all over it. Same goes for the sampler, vocoder and drum module.

I write electronica with a vintage 70s/80s bent, leaning towards the IDM vein, but without the excess noise often associated with it. And now that I hear what Cubase is capable of, I have to hide my old music. :ph34r::D

Yes, I hope it's a fun process to find good instruments. Thanks.

I have used a free VST called String Theory. It has exellent sound and amazing controls.

Hi Nemo! :D

Thanks for the recommendations. Yeah, man, it looks like the NI instruments are really solid. I'll have to take them for a test drive.

Why did you make the switch from Live? Can you still use it, or has Logic incorporated some of the live playability features?

Cause I feel a bit limited in what Live can do. There are some things that you just can not do properly... well, small things, like for instance it does not really have any good quantizing options (correct me someone if im wrong, but I have not found them haha). I think Ableton live is really good, and I will of course continue working on it for my live sets, without a doubt, thats the main reason why I bought it in the first place. :) You will love what Cubase can offer you mate, it really is KICK ASS! :)

What Colin said! Dont give up completely on Reason, its a good tool, and it can give inspiration on the fly like Cubase can not sometimes. I sometimes just open it up to make a drum pattern, throw in some samples and a bassline, and get super cool ideas. I personally think that the drum machine and the samplers are some of the best machines ever made in Software. It is just too damn bad that it can not make use of VSTi's :( But hey, with ReWire everything is possible :D

and of course, I would like to hear what you accomplish in Cubase :)

Greetings from a semi-sunny spain haha! :)

Nemo

There are tons of good free vst out there. Dig around on the links above to see what works for you. Some that I personally use and recommend include...

Synth1:

http://www.geocities.jp/daichi1969/softsynth/synth1v107.zip

KarmaFX Modular Synth:

http://www.karmafx.net/cgi-bin/download.cgi

Highlife (sampler):

http://www.discodsp.com/highlife/

Various Effects:

http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/classic-series.php

http://www.karmafx.net/KarmaFX_Plugin_Pack19.exe

Compressors and such:

http://www.digitalfishphones.com/main.php?...2&subItem=5

So I picked up my first VST today. A speech synthesizer called Cantor 2. I've wanted something like this for a long time, and even posted a thread about the topic here a year and a half ago or so, which wasn't entirely helpful. Now I can stop messing around with the AT&T-text-to-speech-then-running-the-wav-through-a-sampler-then-through-a-vocoder hassle. This way I can have my robot girlfriend right there, conveniently, singing her little synthetic heart out. :D

So I picked up my first VST today. A speech synthesizer called Cantor 2. I've wanted something like this for a long time, and even posted a thread about the topic here a year and a half ago or so, which wasn't entirely helpful. Now I can stop messing around with the AT&T-text-to-speech-then-running-the-wav-through-a-sampler-then-through-a-vocoder hassle. This way I can have my robot girlfriend right there, conveniently, singing her little synthetic heart out. :D

erm, there is a free program called "say it" that works well....

I love it.

erm, there is a free program called "say it" that works well....

I love it.

I tried that some time ago, and found it similar to lots of text-to-speech programs, but it's not music oriented. The voices don't sing, in other words, nor can you add inflections like vibrato, etc., which is why I had to swing for something more sophisticated.

I tried that some time ago, and found it similar to lots of text-to-speech programs, but it's not music oriented. The voices don't sing, in other words, nor can you add inflections like vibrato, etc., which is why I had to swing for something more sophisticated.

Hmm maybe I'll check that out.

Although I can feed sounds through my little phatty, I still haven't done that yet.

It could be interesting with voices

Few months ago, I tried to learn using Cubase SX as i was reading everywhere that reason's sound quality was inferior to other software such as cubase.

But after weeks of learning and testing, I went back to Reason. The program was buggy, probably because it was a downloaded version, or maybe because my computer couldn't handle all the vst i was using simultaneously.

Anyway, i didn't notice a big difference with the sound quality, but it's true that there are more possibilities with cubase.

I think reason fits my needs as I'm not a professional.

And Reason 4 just came out..... long live to reason!!! And death to betrayers like you :P

Few months ago, I tried to learn using Cubase SX as i was reading everywhere that reason's sound quality was inferior to other software such as cubase.

But after weeks of learning and testing, I went back to Reason. The program was buggy, probably because it was a downloaded version, or maybe because my computer couldn't handle all the vst i was using simultaneously.

Anyway, i didn't notice a big difference with the sound quality, but it's true that there are more possibilities with cubase.

I think reason fits my needs as I'm not a professional.

And Reason 4 just came out..... long live to reason!!! And death to betrayers like you :P

Ha. :D Yeah, man, Cubase 4 is totally buggy too, even after a big update early in the year. Hopefully the 4.1 update in the next month or so will take care of most of that - they've had a really long time to accumulate complaints and make the thing solid. And there are some important things that are just easier in Reason. Automation editing, for one, is sooooo easy in Reason, and unreasonably stupid in Cubase. And yeah, it requires a much heftier CPU than Reason, and to continue using Cubase I'm soon going to have to spend close to a thousand dollars to update my computer, which was fairly powerful in early '96, to handle it. But some important things aside, I'm really enjoying it. The quality, versatility and sophistication are, to me, superior. But hey, at the end of the day, it's all about the music that gets made, regardless of the tools.

Also, the first time I tested Cubase I ended up going back to Reason, too. It could be a right time sort of thing. It was the right time for me.