Making the Leap

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Figured I'd also post my new track here along with Music Promo, since I've talked about it, and since I might get a bit more feedback. Since it was my first exploration with Cubase, I figured I'd keep things simple and concise. Still, my goal for the future is to not only achieve simplicity but also elegance, to come back down from the overthinking and "comlexifying" I felt I'd been doing with my later Reason tracks. Long way to go, in any case. If you get a chance, let me know what you think.

Per Sterud - Sun Om Beach

You made me curious, i'll download your track and will let you know what I thought, probably next saturday as I don't have internet at home.

Anyway, all this praise about Cubase convinced me to give it antoher try.

That and the fact that I'm getting a new much more powerfull computer this week. :posford:

You made me curious, i'll download your track and will let you know what I thought, probably next saturday as I don't have internet at home.

Anyway, all this praise about Cubase convinced me to give it antoher try.

That and the fact that I'm getting a new much more powerfull computer this week. :posford:

Cool, man, I look forward to your thoughts.

Yeah, a powerful computer is so important if you want to use a decent program. I hope you make a good decision. When I got my DAW back in early '06 I thought it was pretty hardcore. But, a year and a half later, to keep up with Cubase I had to upgrade. My original processor was an AMD Athlon dual core 3800+. At the time the AMD top of the line was 4800+, which was totally out of my price range. Last week I bought one for a little over US$100, and installed it Friday night. Easy on the wallet. Big difference. But that's as fast as this thing can go, being stuck with the 939 socket. Projecting forward, I'll probably need a new computer in two years, no matter how well it works right now. Frightening.

It's weird, this race to keep up with technology. That's one nice advantage to Reason - no race, just make the best music you can with what you're given. But yeah, Cubase is better if you're into quality, but you have to be willing to hop into the race, seems to me.

There's a little thing called Freezing VST's. I don't know if you've encountered that one before as you just entered the world of vst's. I don't know about cubase, but sonar has that option. Basically, you can temporarly turn off the vst's that u want, which then saves your cpu usage. The sequencer automatically renders a wave file in your project window so you don't have to re-enable the vst to hear the sound, altho you can't edit the vst paramaters when you've freezed it. Try looking up in the Cubase manual, I'm sure it has that option described in detail.

There's a little thing called Freezing VST's. I don't know if you've encountered that one before as you just entered the world of vst's. I don't know about cubase, but sonar has that option. Basically, you can temporarly turn off the vst's that u want, which then saves your cpu usage. The sequencer automatically renders a wave file in your project window so you don't have to re-enable the vst to hear the sound, altho you can't edit the vst paramaters when you've freezed it. Try looking up in the Cubase manual, I'm sure it has that option described in detail.

Oh yeah, man, I made good use of the Cubase freeze option. It's necessary but a total pain in the ass, especially when you've come from a program where it wasn't necessary, where you could work in a totally temperate environment. I went beyond freezing with this first project, I actually started increasing my soundcard's latency. Nasty.

Yeah thats exactly why I bought a new comp. I just can't stand to freeze/unfreeze all the time, it's just such a time waster. Even tho I'm not sure just how much synths/fx I will be able to load, it should be enough for the basis of a track, all the little parts like random effects, beeps & blips or w/e can be freezed which I hope will save me some cpu cicles. But now I'm getting that infamouse blue screen of death w/ the msg error 0x0000008E. I really hope it's not a hardware problem. Everytime I try loading an audioapp dat damn blue screen shows up. :unsure:

Yeah thats exactly why I bought a new comp. I just can't stand to freeze/unfreeze all the time, it's just such a time waster. Even tho I'm not sure just how much synths/fx I will be able to load, it should be enough for the basis of a track, all the little parts like random effects, beeps & blips or w/e can be freezed which I hope will save me some cpu cicles. But now I'm getting that infamouse blue screen of death w/ the msg error 0x0000008E. I really hope it's not a hardware problem. Everytime I try loading an audioapp dat damn blue screen shows up. :unsure:

Ooooooo, totally nasty. :ph34r: Maybe we could make it really easy and relatively inexpensive on ourselves and take up the harp.

Or the violin. :drama:

:ph34r:

I personally love the freeze option, but I think that Steinberg has taken a wrong approach to it. In ableton, you can still edit the midi pattern after its been frozen :) I am actually installing Reason 4 today to see what its like :)

I personally love the freeze option, but I think that Steinberg has taken a wrong approach to it. In ableton, you can still edit the midi pattern after its been frozen :) I am actually installing Reason 4 today to see what its like :)

That's too bad mate :/. You can edit the midi when freezing in Sonar, you can also edit the freezed audio too, but I never had the use of it yet. Reason is fun to play with tho, I love how you can connect the wires in the back like it's a hardware sequencer :) Also I really dig how you can make some feedback effects, like when you feed the output of one reverb into the input of a synth that outputs to the same reverb unit. Then you just increase the feed and you can get some really cool effects, especially when u use drums that output to that 'verb. I'm not sure if that's the exact way to do it, I haven't been using reason for ages now heh. ^_^

Yes. I mixed it for headphones, though, so it might not sound all that great on speakers, to be honest.

I just listened to it on my laptop (no base ect). It's a cute little track lol. Didnt hit my body in the right spots, but I guess I liked (not to compare) the Orbital feel it gave me, though I missed the so called sunshine. The main synth was more a message of despair then joy. some sarrownes

:)

e. as in sorrow I meAN the kind of strange melloncolly feel orbital gives with their knight like music on the 'blue' album ie.

e2. it got lots sunshine :sunny: . nice fluite work

it's cute

I just listened to it on my laptop (no base ect). It's a cute little track lol. Didnt hit my body in the right spots, but I guess I liked (not to compare) the Orbital feel it gave me, though I missed the so called sunshine. The main synth was more a message of despair then joy. some sarrownes

:)

e. as in sorrow I meAN the kind of strange melloncolly feel orbital gives with their knight like music on the 'blue' album ie.

e2. it got lots sunshine :sunny: . nice fluite work

it's cute

Thanks, Pietones. "Cute"'s not quite what I'm going for, but so be it. How about the "sweet" in "bittersweet"? I enjoy that emotion - bittersweet.

Just wanted to add that I didnt rejected Reason in rewire mode since reason got redrum and nn-xt sampler for what I didnt find better replacement in VSTs and I have them over 300.. And its easier to work with redrum than with any VST that does the same.. But if anyone has better recomendations, I would appreciate it.. A whole bunch of VSTs doesnt support MIDI automation, that is the biggest problem.. But some of them do..

Figured I'd also post my new track here along with Music Promo, since I've talked about it, and since I might get a bit more feedback. Since it was my first exploration with Cubase, I figured I'd keep things simple and concise. Still, my goal for the future is to not only achieve simplicity but also elegance, to come back down from the overthinking and "comlexifying" I felt I'd been doing with my later Reason tracks. Long way to go, in any case. If you get a chance, let me know what you think.

Per Sterud - Sun Om Beach

I like it.

You are quite conventional compared to me.

I like it.

You are quite conventional compared to me.

Yeah, man, I find there's a fine line between conventional musicality and experimental weirdness. Most weirdness doesn't work for me. I cut my teeth on mid- to late-90s stuff like HIA, Plaid, Isan and Orbital, so that's the sort of stuff I tend to like, and like making: Simple yet interesting, with a solid, honest beat. Whether I'm successful with that is a different story. :rolleyes: But I honestly think that for the last seven or eight years IDM has just gone too tech-crazy, to the point that much of it is unlistenable for me. Warp Records, for instance, a label I used to worship blindly, has gone away to some place I can, by and large, no longer access, maybe with the exception of an occasional Boards of Canada disc. Maybe I'm just getting old. :ph34r::D

Anyway, feel free to post something you've done recently. ;)