Unofficial Filteria Remixes & Unreleaseds Album

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest antic

Is it only me who'd have preferred that this remix & unreleased album was in fact released on CD?

There's no way I'll be buying mp3's...

:(

From my personal perspective, I'm inclined to agree. But then again, I get Jannis' records for "free", and I understand all too well that the market isn't really reliable enough for such an album right now. And if you just print 300 copies you'll lose money on each sale anyway... So as much as I hate the idea of buying music without the physical medium, I realize that at some point I will inevitably have to cave in. I dread the day...

Guest antic

From my personal perspective, I'm inclined to agree. But then again, I get Jannis' records for "free", and I understand all too well that the market isn't really reliable enough for such an album right now. And if you just print 300 copies you'll lose money on each sale anyway... So as much as I hate the idea of buying music without the physical medium, I realize that at some point I will inevitably have to cave in. I dread the day...

I see your point, but how is this album any different from two previous Filteria CDs in term of sales volume?

If people bought those two, they will very probably buy this one as well. I know I would :)

...and even more on topic: The "Ze Remix" Of Rotate To Vibrate, which was finished before the album was sent to mastering, should have been on there. It's is vastly superior to the original version, and to this day I have no idea how anyone could have felt it was a good idea to opt for the original, which just feels crude and unfinished in comparison. Back when Jannis sent me Ze Remix I immediately compared it to the Pleiadians Remix of Blue Planet Corporations "Antidote" due to its elegantly perpetual, organic buildup and mutation. I don't whant to build expectations too high, but that track is really special for me...

I think this album would sell less since it's a third album of "the same Filteria sound". I think we're close to a saturation point for that particulat "product", and in some ways it could hurt his legacy. The third album will sound very different, but with an energy level that is just insane. Think of where he took the Pleiadians sound and apply that same evolution and intensity boost to GNOTR, Transwave and Hallucinogen... and the technical level of production and arrangements have made a quantum leaps as well. So to release a third CD album with the old sound at that point would feel awkward.

If you ask me it would be better to professionally package this and release it for free online... thank the fans and all that, as well as gain some great promotion for the upcoming projects. I am of course supportive of the project but I have concerns about cost and quality... the situation I would prefer to avoid is one where this special unreleased album, aimed at fans, is unavailable in WAV quality and/or ends up costing more than a physical CD would. That would be unfortunate.

I'll buy it anyway, the only question is 'when'? I've got 2 gigs coming in next 3 weeks (one with Haltya... so I'm counting on this stuff, get it on the market asap ;)

I've been listening to samples from Pure Planet 2 and frankly speaking, I wasn't too impressed by Filterias tracks... I recognized him by the first few samples, so yes, I agree with Ukiro, it's time to go to the next level and releasing the same sound would hurt Jannis' and Suntrip's reputation.

On the other hand, having some 8-9 tracks released with almost no effort is the best possible solution for the fans and for Jannis himself. Well, is there any effort? Like mastering? I'm sure there is but not as much as for a physical CD.

Thanx again for doing this and, again, I'm looking forward to lossless ;)

I'll buy it anyway, the only question is 'when'? I've got 2 gigs coming in next 3 weeks (one with Haltya... so I'm counting on this stuff, get it on the market asap ;)

I've been listening to samples from Pure Planet 2 and frankly speaking, I wasn't too impressed by Filterias tracks... I recognized him by the first few samples, so yes, I agree with Ukiro, it's time to go to the next level and releasing the same sound would hurt Jannis' and Suntrip's reputation.

On the other hand, having some 8-9 tracks released with almost no effort is the best possible solution for the fans and for Jannis himself. Well, is there any effort? Like mastering? I'm sure there is but not as much as for a physical CD.

Thanx again for doing this and, again, I'm looking forward to lossless ;)

I agree with you about the Pure Planet 2 tracks. Without defending myself, these tracks are now over 2 (soon 3) years old. My sound has changed/matured alot since the Sky Input days. Kagdila contacted me about these tracks i think in early 2005 :P

And yes, I strongly feel its time to move on. However, on gigs, there will be stuff like before (especially in the end of the set ;))

Is there any effort on this release? To be honest, not as much as on a physical CD, but ofcourse there is some. Mastering for instance :) But afterall, this is an unofficial CD, so it doesn't get as much attention as a real one. But that should be pretty obvious, no? :)

Thanx for support / Jannis Filteria

• 2 months later...

Yeah, I owe you an explanation.

Suntrip was set to be distributed on iTunes and alike. And we thought then "ok we can also help our artists release unofficial suntrip music like that". And Filteria had some interesting tracks that could be sold but not on an album of ours.

I wrote to iTunes. They said "all right we agree, but you have to subscribe to an online distributor first" (iTunes, Virgin, Fnac, Beatport, etc being only retailers getting their tunes from these distribs).

I subscribed to some french online distrib, I signed a contract, sent ...and I finally received an email saying they weren't interested anymore. Typically French when it comes to Techno music.

So I decided to try and subscribe with another distrib, but meanwhile I moved to another country and had lots of work, and finally didn't have the time to do it. I'm gonna retry within a couple of weeks now, and hopefully, we will, at last reach the online market, and Filteria's unknown tunes too :)

mars / Suntrip

• 6 months later...