The Future for "Psy" Releases

NINFAN77

In 2005 The Flaming Lips re-released there album "The Soft Bulletin." Included with this release is a DVD with visuals for each track mixed in Dolby Digital 5.1

To say the least. I was thrilled to see this happen. I couldn't wait to get this into my living room and hear / see it on my home theater set up. After experiencing this album. I just haven't been able to understand why more artist aren't mixing there music in 5.1. It sounds so much better and the final effect of the music to the listener is so much greater. I mean commen sence tells you that something mixed in 5.1 is going to beat 2 channel stereo every time.

Now in 2006 BT released "This Binary Universe" and also included along with the normal 2 channel stero mixed CD is a DVD for your home entertainment enjoyment, complete with visuals for all tracks and wonderfully mixed in amazing DTS 5.1 Digital Surround. Now this is more like it. The sound mix is second to none and I love the visuals. But even if you don't you don't have to display them. Point is the DTS 5.1 mix is so much more enjoyable then 2 channel stero. I can't say enough about this release. It has absolutely left me speachless!

Even though I would definetly recommend both of these albums. Especially BT's release. This post isn't a review for these artist. Nor am I wanting to discuss if the readers here like them or not. Instead I am wondering why some of the great Psy artist out there are not taking advantage of this technology. I can't help but feel that some of these great Psy albums that we have, would be so much more powerfull if they were released / re-released in this manner. The possibilities are so much greater!

Could this possibly be the future for Psy albums? Is there anything that could help this happen? I can only hope / pray and wait patiently.

Trevor

surely things will be getting more expensive when a package will not only consist of an audio cd, but also a dts 5.1 disc.. I can't imagine that will do much good to psy/ambient sales.. the fact that a dts disc can give great sound quality might compensate something.. but I can only guess even less people will buy original cds.

look at Pete Namlook's FAX records for instance.. the last couple of releases on his label consist of both an audio cd and a dts disc, I was intending to buy pretty much all new FAX releases.. but the price of these cd+dvd release stopped me from doing so.. which I regret very much but I just don't have money growing in my backyard :)

however it would be great if prices would remain about the same, I'm really enjoying the dts disc of Move D / Namlook XI - Sons Of Kraut B)

In 2005 The Flaming Lips re-released there album "The Soft Bulletin." Included with this release is a DVD with visuals for each track mixed in Dolby Digital 5.1

To say the least. I was thrilled to see this happen. I couldn't wait to get this into my living room and hear / see it on my home theater set up. After experiencing this album. I just haven't been able to understand why more artist aren't mixing there music in 5.1. It sounds so much better and the final effect of the music to the listener is so much greater. I mean commen sence tells you that something mixed in 5.1 is going to beat 2 channel stereo every time. 

646434[/snapback]

mixing 5.1 in crazy man!! I had to edit a promotional DVD for a musical and they wanted it in 5.1. I said it wouldn't be any problem but GODDAMN, i hate mixing 5.1. I even had to download an illegal copy of AVID and install it over my current legal copy because it didn't support 5.1 yet, while it was only 1 year old. Otherwise i had to edit the video and audio in different applications. :wacko: I probably would not have survived that.

I had lots of problems. It is very complicated if you have about 400 audio tracks and you have to send them to 5 speakers while you can't test it properly cause my speakers were too close to my computers. Some sounds had to be dynamic and travel from front left to back right. A small mistake makes a huge difference. Imagine an actor walking into the crowd from front left to back right and his footstep going from right to back left. :wacko::unsure:

surely things will be getting more expensive when a package will not only consist of an audio cd, but also a dts 5.1 disc..  I can't imagine that will do much good to psy/ambient sales.. the fact that a dts disc can give great sound quality might compensate something.. but I can only guess even less people will buy original cds.

however it would be great if prices would remain about the same, I'm really enjoying the dts disc of Move D / Namlook XI - Sons Of Kraut  B)

646444[/snapback]

Both releases I mentioned are normal priced albums. They might be like $2.00 more if that. Even if it did raise the price I think it would increase sales. I'm a firm believer of "you get what you pay for." And you will be recieving a better product.

Trevor

the reason why nobody in the psy scene does release albums in Dolby 5.1: the average hippie can't afford a Dolby 5.1 sound system :)

and CDJs don't play it

I think Jean Michel Jarre did it with his album "Aero" though ... just to mention it.

mixing 5.1 in crazy man!! I had to edit a promotional DVD for a musical and they wanted it in 5.1.  I said it wouldn't be any problem but GODDAMN, i hate mixing 5.1. I even had to download an illegal copy of AVID and install it over my current legal copy because it didn't support 5.1 yet, while it was only 1 year old.  Otherwise i had to edit the video and audio in different applications. :wacko:  I probably would not have survived that.

I had lots of problems.  It is very complicated if you have about 400 audio tracks and you have to send them to 5 speakers while you can't test it properly cause my speakers were too close to my computers.  Some sounds had to be dynamic and travel from front left to back right.  A small mistake makes a huge difference.  Imagine an actor walking into the crowd from front left to back right and his footstep going from right to back left. :wacko:  :unsure:

646466[/snapback]

Imagine the psychedelic possibilities...........

the reason why nobody in the psy scene does release albums in Dolby 5.1: the average hippie can't afford a Dolby 5.1 sound system :)

and CDJs don't play it

I think Jean Michel Jarre did it with his album "Aero" though ... just to mention it.

646503[/snapback]

For the albums mentioned above:

Even if you don't have a home theater set up to take advantage of the 5.1 mixed DVD's you can still play the regular 2 channel stero mixed CD on your CD player.

If an artist comes out with a 5.1 mixed CD. Which some artist have done. Then that album can still be played on a regular CD / CDJ player you just won't hear it in the 5.1 mix. You'll hear it in stereo.

Both releases I mentioned are normal priced albums. They might be like $2.00 more if that. Even if it did raise the price I think it would increase sales. I'm a firm believer of  "you get what you pay for." And you will be recieving a better product.

Trevor

646490[/snapback]

Ah! now indeed that wouldn't be too bad I guess, just a few bucks extra, but still... I like the 'you get what you pay for' part - I agree, but I do think there's a limit when it comes to increasing prices - FAX Records being a good example for me personally - too expensive, if 1 CD+DTS FAX Records release is going to cost about the same as 2 other CD albums which I like.. which is pretty near the truth I think.. I'll just have to choose the latter

and CDJs don't play it

646503[/snapback]

I always wondered what Jean Michel Jarre produces because even older people know him, is he good?

well he's been releasing music since the 1970s so yeah lots of 'old' people know him ;)

but how to call his music? umm I always find that difficult... electronic music... synthesizer... thingy.. :ph34r:

he's done some great albums though you should check them. I myself am particularly fond of his older albums like Oxygene, Les Chants Magnetiques, Chronologie, Equinoxe, to name just a few.. not too fond of his newest tracks on 'Aero' for instance.

i find that his music can very 'trancy' although naturally it was a completely different kind of music.. still he's probably been an inspiration to a lot of artists.. a bit of a pioneer i guess

I always wondered what Jean Michel Jarre produces because even older people know him, is he good?

647011[/snapback]

I'm sure you heard his music many times, you just don't know it.

Download (and possibly buy) his Oxygene album - it's his best IMO

647011[/snapback]

Jean Michel was already making marvellous electronic music before you were born :D

If you like good old ambient or synth music then you will not be disappointed by his early stuff. Oxygene and Equinoxe ... all good old-fashioned but very nice sounding. I like them.

And finally this could be a point where you start buying albums, Radi: I found the above mentioned albums on vinyl for just 2 Euros each. They're so old they often get found in attic cleanups and then sold on flea markets for a ridiculously low price - and the same is valid for the record player itself (record player, no direct drive technics turntable, you hear me?).

Go for it :)