And then you suddenly GET it.

Cinos

Track in case: Astral Projection - Utopia

So I walk my daily trek through college territory as usual. Music idly playing, headphones tightly on ears to avoid hearing the nerve-grating babble of all the people there, gaze on road to avoid seeing them either, which I also experience as nerve-grating.

So, I'm not really paying any attention to the music at all. The previous track was The Feelings of the same disk, but while very decent it didn't have any effect.

I didn't even notice when the track changed in my grey workday-haze. But then suddenly the track rises to a peak. You know, that acid-ish climax there.

(yay now some retard bald arse is sitting besides me talking loud as fuck, but I'm going to carry on describing)

Yeah. So the climax. All of a sudden, my eyes go wide. All the fucking lines blend together, revealing a bigger image. Think those 3d-eye images. Stereoscopic things. Goa, apparently, is like that. By shifting your focus you hear the whole image. Every part of it makes sense. I get "how" it describes some utopia. I get what the music means.

And poof, then the moment is gone. The track is normal again when I focus on it. But for a moment I was really into it.

I had a similar experience at the last party I went to. But I have to admit it was under the influence of some drugs... It was an outdoor party and mainly playing full-on and israely psy. What impressed me the most was Jackomos DJ-set (Swiss DJ) and the Timelock live act. I had a pretty strong acid trip and a pill and everything was just sounding so right and perfect it was unbelievable. The sound was exactly as great as in the good old time, the decoration looked just perfcet (and I mean perfect), I went to a stall where they sold some CDs, again all the covers (also the cheesy ones) just looked perfect. I know it was the acid who did it but I also think there is more behind it. It was just everything was just adding up to one big psychedelic world that was so perfect for me it was unbelievable. I even had the feeling that I allready knew a lot of songs that got played because it was exactly all the good songs from the golden age of goa that I once heard and then wasn't able to get hold of. I've never enjoyed myself so much before... Anyway, what was my moment of "I get the whole psyparty concept", especially the music.

Yeah. So the climax. All of a sudden, my eyes go wide. All the fucking lines blend together, revealing a bigger image. Think those 3d-eye images. Stereoscopic things. Goa, apparently, is like that. By shifting your focus you hear the whole image. Every part of it makes sense. I get "how" it describes some utopia. I get what the music means.

And poof, then the moment is gone. The track is normal again when I focus on it. But for a moment I was really into it.

605728[/snapback]

Eh, I don't think I completely get it.

Is it the FIRST time you where moved by goa?

I mean is it the first time you completely lose yourself in the music?

Eh, I don't think I completely get it.

Is it the FIRST time you where moved by goa?

I mean is it the first time you completely lose yourself in the music?

605765[/snapback]

Pretty much, for goa. It's just good music usually. :P

The quest for those moments is largely my raison d'être. Music, ingested in the proper amount/blend/timing, is a direct path to pure emotions. Apart from drugs, that path is the most open and efficient one there is.

With this in mind, some music, 95% of todays "psy trance" releases for example, make absolutely zero sense. Almost noone is shooting for that path any more.

Well sometimes acid's just perfect Tatsu. The less you do it, the better it feels (unfortunately imho)

605763[/snapback]

Then I guess I'm rather lucky. I just did acid three times, two were rather strong trips, the third one was not that strong. I only had the perfect feeling in the last one, it was the strongest trip (I got told it was 250 micrograms) and it was playing melodic full-on. The other was with old-school goa and it was nice but still far away from that experience.

The quest for those moments is largely my raison d'être. Music, ingested in the proper amount/blend/timing, is a direct path to pure emotions. Apart from drugs, that path is the most open and efficient one there is.

With this in mind, some music, 95% of todays "psy trance" releases for example, make absolutely zero sense. Almost noone is shooting for that path any more.

605772[/snapback]

I agree about the first part, there are several tracks, old or new, that move me and give me certain emotions without any drugs. Some stuff feels just perfect sober, even when it's on another level or perfectness so to say. Music is a very strong force when used right.

Happens to me a lot

for example it took me ages to appreciate Bluetech - Sines & Singularities. Then I heard it one day while I was really pissed off at work. It sounded amazing. Since then it's not sounded as good as that day but better than before it!

for me it's more of a slow process instead of suddenly getting it

there's a lot of music that's immediately nice the first time (and a lot that isn't), but my real favorites have always required time to get into.... but when I finally get the whole picture, they will be favorites forever

Nice one. I recently reviewed Trust in Trance and it still sounds as good as ever to my ears...

605772[/snapback]

Agreed. I have sometimes mused on the correlation between the effects of trance music and religion, as well as drugs... for me, the best stuff is that which takes me somewhere without any chemical or dogmatic assistance. "Travel without moving" as the famous sample goes.

Luckily for me, I enjoy a wide range of moods and mental states... so while Astral Projection (and plenty of old school Goa) may bring me on a cosmic trip in the right set and setting, modern works bring me to entirely different states of being that I can also appreciate. Derango is an intense experience in the deep forest, Nuclear Ramjet throws me into 2001: A Space Odyssey, Tegma takes me around the world, and Jaia tells a very open-ended story that feels very human, and very alive, to me... and so on. There are many examples of modern works that take me places... it's just that these stories are not the stories of old. Few of them capture that exact "flying into a star" feeling that the old school masters were so good at... the thing is - I still have music that does that. New music is taking me to other places which are still worth visiting. I think it may help to consider modern works in a different light, should you find yourself unable to really enjoy the experience of listening to the best of what the scene has to offer these days... there are still great stories being told, and I wouldn't want anyone to miss them :)

Pretty much, for goa. It's just good music usually. :P

605766[/snapback]

That's strange, in the beginning I started to listen to goa, I completely got it, every story told, the magic.I could easely recognize the artist by hearing their style in their music without knowing what was playing (not all offcoarse, but many though).But just recently maybe a few years I have the feeling I don't get everything like I used to anymore.

Also a lot of artists sound pretty much the same.

Also it's a matter of mood.

Track in case: Astral Projection - Utopia

So I walk my daily trek through college territory as usual. Music idly playing, headphones tightly on ears to avoid hearing the nerve-grating babble of all the people there, gaze on road to avoid seeing them either, which I also experience as nerve-grating.

So, I'm not really paying any attention to the music at all. The previous track was The Feelings of the same disk, but while very decent it didn't have any effect.

I didn't even notice when the track changed in my grey workday-haze. But then suddenly the track rises to a peak. You know, that acid-ish climax there.

(yay now some retard bald arse is sitting besides me talking loud as fuck, but I'm going to carry on describing)

605728[/snapback]

I take it you mean at 4:59? Oh man, Utopia is one of my AP favorites. Just the other day I heard it while walking through Copenhagen on a mild weed buz. That goa feeling ... :rolleyes: untoppable.

But yeah, full-on can do similar things to me. When the music is just so good that there is nothing else, I don't care if it's old style or new style. What rocks todays young musicians, hell, of course it'll rock me too if I get into the spirit.

And when that happens, yup, there's nothing else quite like it.