Samples

Snapinho

Weird voices (non pitched) that say random, normal stuff, can be highly psychedelic to me. Good [non-trance] examples are the Orb and FSOL. "ok, everybody online, looking good" The way that it's said, man, that's trippy. And what about the song 'Among Ourselves': "I think I'm a little bit afraid... fraid... fraid... " :D Brilliant!

On the other hand, samples that too obviously refer to either drugs, shiva, trance or a combination of these are corny as hell. Yes, it's wonderful that people take drugs and that Shiva is the indian lord of destruction and wow, people do a trance-dance. Yippee-kayay motha fucka. Same goes for Leary, McKenna and the such samples. Agreed, Shpongle has some nice examples for they can be used in a good way, but man... I think the rule is: if you understand immediately what they mean, the fun is gone. And it's not nearly as psychedelic as can be.

Now I remember an example (of a Cosmosis song? Dunno...) which says; "take it as far as you can!" Multi-interpretable and thus a good choice for me.

And since I'm on this rant anyway, let's give it up for ladies singing some mysterious shit. Quit it! STFU Pleeeeeeeeeeeease! Well, I do know that it's personal, but it all sounds the same. Since lyrics are only one part of the music (and it's not the main focus which it is in most popsongs), don't make em as important. Make 'm background or don't put em in at all! There are exceptions to the rule of course, but I really can't stand any more of that Shanti Shanti shit.

[/rant] ;)

I think the rule is: if you understand immediately what they mean, the fun is gone. And it's not nearly as psychedelic as can be.

562755[/snapback]

disagree ... why do you sit and mull over it till it makes sense huh?!

i like samples that are staright up in your face and which make sense right away

other wise i cant get sleep :(

i cant stand matrix samples and other hollywood movie samples i think they suck,same goes for video game samples,when i think of it im not such a big sample fan but there are exeptions,like "enlightened evolution" and "funkus munkus" i like the use of samples in those tracks.

"I've lost my mind.. There's no question about it"

"We lost it... We lost the signal"

"Unsane, beyond sanity... yet not insane... "

"ALALA" :D

562820[/snapback]

hehehe, exactly my point! good examples, nick. And that LSD one is from 'the Beyond Within' which is a movie about acid, but the sample works wonders nonetheless!

I forgot one of the most important subjects that artists other than Eat Static shouldn't touch: Aliens!!

Maxx in fact I like the matrix wonderland sample used in many tracks..

You take the blue pill and the story ends. You wake in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. (a red pill is shown in his other hand) You take the red pill and you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.

whole quote is like:

The Matrix

written by Andy Wachowski & Larry Wachowski

Morpheus: I imagine that right now you're feeling a bit like Alice. Tumbling down the rabbit hole?

Neo: You could say that.

Morpheus: I can see it in your eyes. You have the look of a man who accepts what he sees because he's expecting to wake up. Ironically, this is not far from the truth. Do you believe in fate, Neo?

Neo: No.

Morpheus: Why not?

Neo: 'Cause I don't like the idea that I'm not in control of my life.

Morpheus: I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you're here. You're here because you know something. What you know, you can't explain. But you feel it. You felt it your entire life. That there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there. Like a splinter in your mind -- driving you mad. It is this feeling that has brought you to me. Do you know what I'm talking about?

Neo: The Matrix?

Morpheus: Do you want to know what it is?

(Neo nods his head.)

Morpheus: The Matrix is everywhere, it is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window, or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work, or when go to church or when you pay your taxes. It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth.

Neo: What truth?

Morpheus: That you are a slave, Neo. Like everyone else, you were born into bondage, born inside a prison that you cannot smell, taste, or touch. A prison for your mind. (long pause, sighs) Unfortunately, no one can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself. This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back.

(In his left hand, Morpheus shows a blue pill.)

Morpheus: You take the blue pill and the story ends. You wake in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. (a red pill is shown in his other hand) You take the red pill and you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes. (Long pause; Neo begins to reach for the red pill) Remember -- all I am offering is the truth, nothing more.

(Neo takes the red pill and swallows it with a glass of water)

And of course , Scatterbrain - Mexican Jesus

Yeah, sort of reminds me of a time in Montana. It was 31st of December 1994 when I saw the Mexican Jesus floating down the river. Yellowstone National Park. I think it was like minus twenty degrees in the snow and he was floating down butt naked. I don't think he was Native American, he seemed too Mexican looking you know. He had long black hair and he was butt naked in the middle of the Yellowstone River. Minus twenty. And we'd put our head under the water and come up and we turned our eyes and he didn't have a [...] of ice on his hand, nothing. He was completely immune to the cold. And eh, which reminds me about the ayahuasca experience you know meeting the Mother Serpent. I don't think anybody really could, err... How to describe it? It was totally mind numbing. Just taking it, and waiting and that first time you take it, the suddenly you feel like you've got these vines running through your body. They were [...] ripping through your body. And that bright light burning you up from the inside. Next thing you know, you've got a Mother Serpent inside you. And the next minute you're down there, with the DNA watching the dino.

Genetic material getting changed before your eyes. Man, people think they know about drugs, but... That ain't a drug, it's a sacrament. It's just a portal to another world. It's realities that are always there. A key to other dimensions That we live with them all the time. Thankfully our awareness never touches...

How would I describe it? Terrifying. Enlightening. But utterly terrifying. You swear you'll never go back. Ever. And the next thing you know, you're taking it again. You're going down that tunnel.

People say you have a choice. I don't think there's any choice.

Ayahuasca just takes you. No choice. You surrender or you resist. Resist or inhale. You surrender, you must be free.

I don't know if I could do that again.

And the Mother Goddess calls me, the cosmic circuit calls. I have to answer. And I have to go back to the [...] I have no choice. I have no choice. It's not a drug, it's... It's not a drug. It's just the holy sacrament.

i agree with el snapinho...

samples can ruin a track for me..

especially bad vocals.. but if there is another matrix sample.. i ll kill the first one i see :ph34r:

there is so many movies out there and so many tv channels.. it doesnt even take long to sample anything.. its easy as hell.

you could even ask your brothers girlfriend to say something stupid..

anything..

There are of course exceptions but for me, short samples work better and long samples are shit. I didn't like the Nystagmus album or Talpa's people are animals. I didn't like the unsane sample at the start but loved the one word sample later in the track.

I agree with what you say about understanding the sample. I like more, foreign language lyrics if there are any. Puff Drangon - Sazanami

Longer samples maybe go better in more chilled out music but I much prefer it when it's not too prominent like in Tripswitch's Deer Park at the beginning. And Banco De Gaia had a nice story at the beginning of China (clouds not mountains)

Of course any sample long, short, english, johnny foreign or whatever can work but it has to really be the perfect sample for the track. Far too often you here a sample you think is quite cool at first but then after a few more listens you just wish they would have missed it out.

I'm very easy going when it comes to samples. In the worst case I can just ignore them, don't know any track that is ruined just by a sample. But I do know a lot of tracks that I really love the samples. Doesn't really matter if they are long samples (like Nystagmus - Tommy Is Dead, fucking great track!), singing like Michele Adamson in 7th Son, short repetitive samples like on the Neelix album or the regular 0815 samples. Sure, stuff from famous movies that get used and used again can be anoying, but I can still like tracks that contain them if the rest of the track is nice.

I also don't mind the well-known drug/shiva-shanty samples. In fact I think they are very funny (well, not all of course but most of them).

'When I leave.. don't follow...." Biosphere.. ;)

The intro sample from Derango - The Poisonous Square... trippy :D

“You have to wake up, there's-- What is it? What's wrong? There's something here. Do you see anything? You're probably just dreaming or some…Whoa! There is-- there is something! What the hell is that? What do you see? It's a square. It's just floating. Now there's two - it's multiplying! Maybe that's what a four-dimensional object looks like?…I hate it. It sounds wrong… It's stunning! The math of it - it's a perfect quadrangular oscillation!”

best sample ever is by space buddha:

'100 kilos of pure uncut bolivian cocaine"

uh.. i mean.. wtf...

are we in the club scene here or what?

is this gangsta goa?

sample could be slightly different but the message is the same.. dont have the album here right now..

:lol:

best sample ever is by space buddha:

'100 kilos of pure uncut bolivian cocaine"

uh.. i mean.. wtf...

are we in the club scene here or what?

is this gangsta goa?

sample could be slightly different but the message is the same.. dont have the album here right now..

562919[/snapback]

I agree. ' Let's all take some mescaline' sample is sort of bad too,although funny :D

:lol:

I agree. ' Let's all take some mescaline' sample is sort of bad too,although funny :D

562928[/snapback]

At least it's short. When a samples bad and goes on and on and on and and goes on and on and on and and goes on and on and on. That sucks :angry:

The "let's all take some mescaline" is a good example of what I hate about 1200 mics. they're just CORNY!!

But then again, I do like the guitar riff that follows it.

I also agree on abasio's Deer Park, but then some lady starts singing after the intro and I immediately wanna skip the song. Just quit that. Please. We've heard it all before, yeah?

btw: all of nick inzomniac's examples are just right. very deep, but not too obviously spiritual.. indeed what psychedelic is: it makes you use your fantasy, imagination and is very subjectively interpretable. :)

“You have to wake up, there's-- What is it? What's wrong? There's something here. Do you see anything? You're probably just dreaming or some…Whoa! There is-- there is something! What the hell is that? What do you see? It's a square. It's just floating. Now there's two - it's multiplying! Maybe that's what a four-dimensional object looks like?…I hate it. It sounds wrong… It's stunning! The math of it - it's a perfect quadrangular oscillation!”

That's an awesome sample! Is that from Derango?

Other good example: on Capsula's Synthesis of Reality, there's a song called 'I know that I know' in which the sample is something like: "[...] but eh certainly to know that you're there you need an echo, you need an echo... there was a young man who said though, it seems that i know that i know, what i would like to see is the i that knows me when i know that i know that i know." :D haha, brilliant!

"Long, long arms covered with beautiful feathers" from Usual Suspects 2 is surely one of the best samples ever.

"No more pie" is another good one from the same album.

Oh and how could I forget Hallucinogen's "I've just pissed in my pants and nobody can do anything about it" from his Solstice remix. I love that sample. :lol:

"Long, long arms covered with beautiful feathers" from Usual Suspects 2 is surely one of the best samples ever.

"No more pie" is another good one from the same album.

563060[/snapback]

another cool twisted related sample is the one from Younger Brother track dwarves (main mix) "I dont like to work to often unless its for something groovy" I think its someting like that,anyway its a great tune with a cool sample.

another cool twisted related sample is the on from Younger Brother track dwarves (main mix) "I dont like to work to often unless its for something groovy" I think its someting like that,anyway its a great tune with a cool sample.

563069[/snapback]

Yeah, that's a goodun. I like all the samples on the first track of Younger brother's album too. One of the best is "you may have noticed, but I'm not all there myself". Top stuff.

It's annoying when samples are long and totally unmodulated.

More artists could bother putting echo, some automated effects, gate the samples a bit. So that it doesn't sound so cheaty and outta place.

Background conversations. Distorted with echoes can sound good. Tachyon by Tripswitch.

I like the samples in Super Pan Am (like an normal pan am flight announcement but for hyperspace) and Flourostani transcendance has something similar and a wierd (short) conversation...

Where are we going?

I don't know, but one thing I do know. wherever it is, it's a long way from Botslovia!

:D