EvsY - Lords of the Liverdance (Faerie Dragon)

RAH

Artist: Eraser Vs Yöjalka

Album: Lords of the Liverdance

Label: Faerie Dragon

Web: http://sonic-dragon.com & http://www.evsy.net

CAT: FDREC01

SE.net: http://www.sonic-energy.net/core/content/view/263/2/

01. Nice To Mute You [140]

02. Nuts For Nothing [132]

03. Brain To Feet [138]

04. Hell Sin Key Thcruise [143]

05. High On Heels [147]

06. Faster.Liver.Dancer [148]

07. Nolerco (EvsY Remix) [150]

08. Kaliman Kakarat [144]

09. Home Deep Home [136]

10. Sky Breaks [137]

Forgive me father for I have sinned. Looking back at my CD boxes and cases I seem to have skipped the fact Eraser & Yöjalka have two previous albums under their belt on Exogenic, which I just never got around hearing. Admittedly closing myself to the Finnish invasion up until this point in retrospect was probably not wise. It has been nearly three years of experimentation since Tarinat, time which has been well spent by the liver-dancers to invoke something rounded genre-wise, forward thinking (if I only got a penny every time I hear that one), and violently funky as it could be expected. What we have in Lords of the Liverdance is a culmination of nearly 6 years of music in the making. Mashing every influence that falls on the table including classical training and metal. At the end, the least we can hope is that it sounds like neither one of those.

( 1 ) Nice To Mute You sets the mood with restrained snares a break beat of sorts, claps and a dose of deep bass that resembles a dubby strike more than electronic music. The lines unfold (was that a cowbell?), the fat lady is sampled and we keep moving forward, I have been infected.*

( 2 ) Nuts For Nothing continues in the same speed with old school kicks that quickly enough get down to business entwined by a complex rhythm. What is even more surprising is the vivacity, the drumming solos, there’s someone alive in that beat. The psychedelic aspects of the production focus on a deluge of sounds by the higher ranges, reminding a lot of what the guitar players used to do with the amp and the guitar –or the or perhaps it was the mic- creating all those strange bird noises. Check a deep purple concert if you have no clue what I’m talking about. This is another level altogether from that technique obviously, it sounds more like sonata of spaceship exhaust pipes with retro synth action.*

( 3 ) Brain to Feet incorporates a lot more guitars in the equation as the notes get digitized, tied by this constant wishy-washy liquid flutter in the mid ranges. It is also that point of the night when things go down the… right rabbit whole and the level of psychedelia more than being appropriate, is overwhelmingly so.*

( 4 ) Hell Sin Key THCruise is another well polished mish-mash of influences that bring back images of the first Star Wars movies, with the guy disguised in the bizarre rubber costume playing a clarinet -or some flute- with alien lounge music for the far eastern side of some unpronounceable planet. The track is short, but it manages to incorporate a number of passages that sit somewhere in between lounge and some neo-jazz band of the eighties, making futurist homage music for times that will never exist.

( 5 ) High on Heels appropriately starts with footsteps dissolving in meddled, grating synth’s and guitar slices hinting the Dead Elvis days of Death in Vegas – at least in my mind. Specifically tracks like “Rekkit” or “Rocco” might not sound alike, but they still convey that contemplative experimentation of drowned synth movements and guitars sitting somewhere in the edge of trance but not really.*

( 6 ) Faster. Liver. Dancer. Does not depart too far from the previous chapter arrangement-wise with the same spugedelic flair, unfolding in strange creaking, fuzzy sounds pitching in nearly senseless manner to the theme. It’s all carefully enveloped in its own grated way in a constant assault of melodics.

( 7 ) I’m not entirely sure if Nolerco – EsvY Rmx is a remix by another artist who I don’t know, or simply another version of a previous track but the juice is good here. Energetic modulation power, like in the good old days and just when you think the roof is going to blow, they switch gears and it’s back to break mode with electro dashes. I really like the first part conveying all that intensity of Goa, but the energy fizzes to near anthemic camp by the end with high pitchers (for my taste). Good stuff either way.*

( 8 ) Kaliman Kakarat uses a lot more ethno-vocals with an eastern vibe and tribal breaks, to mix in the psychedelic bowl something deeply original and moving. Well rounded DSP effects applied to delayed voices with constant pace changes and not a minute of bore, great stuff.*

( 9 ) Home Deep Home is an uplifting affair charged with flanged up leads and arpeggios galore, climaxing in a metalloid anthem of Nintendo days with modern day sound and tight, multi-layered melodies in perfect sequencing.

( 10 ) Sky Breaks culminates the ride with a rendition of orchestral proportions on top of breaks as it could be suspected. Finally something to play with “Bus L’overture” on a trance set closing this saga with original ideas and great execution.*

Diversity, diversity, diversity! It needs to be typed three times because that’s how hard Eraser & Yöjalka tried to bring a collection of tunes seeking completely different tangents on every attempt, backed by a wealth of experience to reach this level. I’m not in love with every single experiment for personal reasons, but the quality is more than what I could have possibly expected. If you are one of those picky listeners that can’t stand predictable full on, incoherent ‘dark’ music or mainstream progressive, there might be something for you here. Suomi, spugedelic, free form, call it what you want. In respect to experimental, original –and dare I say influential- psychedelic music Lords of the Liverdance is a rare gem. But hey, don’t take my word for it that is just my opinion. Go listen to some samples instead who knows what might come out from it.

Where to Buy

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=5722

very good album : music wise, the arragement, sounds everything is in the wright place ...

Massive repect for changing their style every album and for trying out different things ....

unfotunately it's not really my style (dj wise) ...

so once again a high quality release from evsy ... don't expect someting like tarinat or round one...

if you are into feel good groovy sometimes melodic music look no futher !!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wasn't too impressed by the previous evsy albums, so the expectations were not as high. But hey I was wrong and this one blew me away! Suomisaundi with diversity and innovation, served funki.

• 1 month later...

For me EvsY proved their talents in Round 1. That was THE album!

Tarinat was just good, nothing great IMO.

This one sounds okay, some tracks are good, some tracks are nothing great and maybe it's slightly better than Tarinat. Unfortunately it don't even come close to their masterpiece debut album.

quote Ormion :"For me EvsY proved their talents in Round 1. That was THE album!

Tarinat was just good, nothing great IMO.

This one sounds okay, some tracks are good, some tracks are nothing great and maybe it's slightly better than Tarinat. Unfortunately it don't even come close to their masterpiece debut album"

Nice to know our first one made a mark on you, as it seems to have done with many people. Tracks since Tarinat with some spice from early ages work anyway a lot better on the dance floor and out of somewhere girls have found there too heh!

But still, I think that I know what you mean, for me in a sort of Metallica -fan from Kill `em all to the Black-album -sort of way, which makes you kinda..ohh it isn´t what I was expecting for, fkkkk! But later you will see the evolution in making the production and composing...and everything! Maybe lacking some of that acidic crazy metal energy though... You try to have sessions with 155bpm most high volume kinda evil feeling open hihat mayhem for years, I´m glad I didn´t get so traumatized that we´d write a Ibiza -Cafe del Mar -cheese&chill -album! Uuhh!!!

This is what RAH said on the critic:

"Diversity, diversity, diversity! It needs to be typed three times because that’s how hard Eraser & Yöjalka tried to bring a collection of tunes seeking completely different tangents on every attempt, backed by a wealth of experience to reach this level."

quote Trolsk : "I liked their previous two albums a lot, but their new album is lacking the playful vibe and madness of past efforts and that's why I liked EvsY. Yet another disappointment in 2006."

Hmm.. lacking the playful vibe... maybe the first two tracks are too seriously funky? I´d see "Hellsinki THCruise" as sort of Hattivatti 06 -kind of tune for example, but I respect your opinion and think you are partly right. About madness... it´s in everyones head yeah but apparently you haven´t experienced crowd going nuts with tracks 5,6,7,8 and 9. Madness is in better form for my taste nowadays, earlier we used to be immature and childish in some solutions.

But at the last party here i played Mutual Ritual and Rassah Munkabu in an indoor night set! Part of the evolution has been too that at some point we started to play mornings too wherever we play abroad..

quote Oopie: "This went to my tradelist, I`m sad."

Me too. Maybe you will get smthg killargh by the change.

quote Alek: "I wasn't too impressed by the previous evsy albums, so the expectations were not as high. But hey I was wrong and this one blew me away! Suomisaundi with diversity and innovation, served funki."

So things can go this way too... Nice one.

In Finland as well, our home base, we´ve had the best feedback ever from this album, by far... When Round 1 came, people had been listening to high energy goa all the way from 94-95, and it was kind of an out to date album, not in the style anymore here... But Alek, check out tracks 1-5 & 9 from Tarinat if you like diversity and innovation served funky! Sorry for the slight -starts with guitar put on to the amp at the first point- beginning of the album hehe!

quote Amphiton: "This is really something! I fell in love with this from the first sight."

Yes, that´s the way. No comments.

quote Lepton: "Very good album : music wise, the arrangement, sounds everything is in the right place. Massive respect for changing their style every album and for trying out different things. Unfortunately it's not really my style (dj wise) ...so once again a high quality release from evsy, don't expect something like tarinat or round one...if you are into feel good groovy sometimes melodic music look no futher !!"

There we have some analytic, a bit professional talk about what it consists of, thanks man. If there will be some new evsy -tracks, they probably will be some fast &crazy ones. "Silicon Carne" coming on elixiria.com compilation soon, "Just Looking at the Best Pieces of this Puzzle" and " A Morning Story feat. Haltya" on Faerie Dragon and "Arraknophobia" on Cosmic Theatre recs at some point... Not that these would be "that" style necessarily.

Thanks a lot RAH for the review!

-eraser-

• 2 years later...