Oforia

ANyone heard the NEW Album from OFORIA yet!?!??! :D

it says on his site it was relesed 2001, and 2001 is nearly over so it should be very very soon...

I bet he went minimal. lol

nah just joking.

some tall blond man, living in bordeaux, in touch with some famous israeli people (!!!) told me that...he was told that...Ofer has an album ready.

the problem for us is still the release date :)

• 14 years later...

still banging oforia from time to time. big troubles, solar, maximiser, some tandu stuff, def unique style.

machinegoa.

15 year necropost :)

Yeah me too. Ofer was one of the best and most original goa artists - influenced more by Industrial music than trance, like MFG. The Pigs in Space album is simply fantastic, and Tandu's Alien Pump and New Aura are both 10/10.

• Like 1

Ofer is a legend. Quite possibly one of the three most talented Goa producers ever.

That's such a hard call! There are so many. Then again, Ofer may be the artist with the strongest case to make. He forged a totally unique sound with weird metallic alien sounds that guarantee to fry your braincells every time. Nobody else sounds like him, because it's much easier to produce melodic morning goa than the kind of violent intergalactic pulsing mindfucking maximum intensity stuff that he made.

Forget to mention that he was also involved in three of the best oldschool Israeli groups Sound Pollution, Indoor and Phreaky.

The following massive dose of adrenaline delivered directly to the intercranial cortex is not given enough love here:

Also check out this raw stomping lesser-known track by him:

Recommend reading about the Tandu, if you can, while listening to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tandu

i love pigs in space that album is so unique and techy, and yet goa.

There's also a lot of psytrance in there even though the album was released in 1998, to artists like Ofer genres and boundaries are meaningless, he smashes through them with his raw alien sound. Just listen to the way he uses the 303 on the Pigs in Space - Solar track, he takes the elements of goa and uses them his own way to maximum effect.

• Like 1

That's such a hard call!

It really is, but he has written so many godly tracks with all his projects is ridiculous. Masterpiece after mastepiece after masterpiece.

I also love his melancholic/nostalgic melodies like the ones in Rodeo, The Morning Song, Why Not On Mars? and of course Voice Of Delusion.

• Like 1

There's also a lot of psytrance in there even though the album was released in 1998, to artists like Ofer genres and boundaries are meaningless, he smashes through them with his raw alien sound. Just listen to the way he uses the 303 on the Pigs in Space - Solar track, he takes the elements of goa and uses them his own way to maximum effect.

couldnt have said it better. u sure u not my A.I soon to become skynet?

no really, Solar has always been that one "Acid Goa" track together with "I Feel" by SUN Project that I always shared whenever possible and played alot during the days.

pigs in space though except solar, didnt get much plays cause of the alien sound. we werent used to it, it was to hi tech for us :P

so sadly that album didnt get enough plays back then. but now i appreciate the hell out of it. not one single bad track.

i almost feel now that Solar is the poorer track even though its an AcidGoa wonder.

@ 02:16 - bring it home now Ofer.

(it doesnt even sound like Acid in the "normal" regard like Solar Quest for example. It was a brand new type of 303 style.)

In fact, it wasnt even a TB303 probably

alot of synths back then could "emulate" closely the sound of Acid , but the TB303 is way to recognizable, so if this really is the TB303? He tweaked the fuck out of it and added lots of different FX on it to mask the identification of the TB303)

On 4/6/2016 at 4:45 PM, astralprojection said:

couldnt have said it better. u sure u not my A.I soon to become skynet?

no really, Solar has always been that one "Acid Goa" track together with "I Feel" by SUN Project that I always shared whenever possible and played alot during the days.

pigs in space though except solar, didnt get much plays cause of the alien sound. we werent used to it, it was to hi tech for us :P

so sadly that album didnt get enough plays back then. but now i appreciate the hell out of it. not one single bad track.

i almost feel now that Solar is the poorer track even though its an AcidGoa wonder.

@ 02:16 - bring it home now Ofer.

(it doesnt even sound like Acid in the "normal" regard like Solar Quest for example. It was a brand new type of 303 style.)

In fact, it wasnt even a TB303 probably

alot of synths back then could "emulate" closely the sound of Acid , but the TB303 is way to recognizable, so if this really is the TB303? He tweaked the fuck out of it and added lots of different FX on it to mask the identification of the TB303)

Yeah I'm your AI,  your psychedelic double. I'm with you all the way. I was trained on those big goa melody lines so the first time I heard Pigs in Space I thought it was too dark and powerful... but the more I got into goa and psy music and the more I began to appreciate the details and intensity, and I realized that Ofer is the king. Mind you I went through a similar process with Hallucinogen and MFG... like good beer the greatest artists are an acquired taste. They grow on every listen and soon most other music - even other goa - sounds flat and unchallenging in comparison.

I also tried to mentally rank the tracks in Pigs in Space, but unlike 99% of albums it's impossible, every track is equally brilliant, except perhaps Now and Beyond not as good as the others. Check out that crazy melody on Heliolatry 05:23.

Agreed, the original TB-303 is quite limited, he probably used one of the many emulators to get that sweet sound in Solar.

• Like 1

^^

MFG indeed, took a very long time for me to appreciate also, for similar reasons.

Very alien sound (especially Genesis) and ahead of its time a bit.

Hallucinogen though, my first experience was Gamma Goblins 2 - had NO Idea that was the same genre as Space Dwarves which was my current fav at the time.

Thought it was some trippy acid fucked up track, that gamma goblins 2. It has since release grew on me to the point of being his best track.

and I TOTALLY hear it differntly now than then.

Back then all you heard were the very very wierd melody/theme of the track, and ofc the "fucked up" sample at the beginning.

All I knew was that it was amazing on shrooms and any other drug for that matter. Really challenged your psyche.

It was like a 1v1.

GNOTR - Klunk is similar for me. Amazing track, prob their best, but at the time of release again, was very wierd track when used to something like Space dwarves and Spiritual Healing, Yahel, and AP.

edit:

i mean back in 98/99, who the hell expects tracks like the Pigs in Space album, Gamma Goblins 2, etc, when u used to the soft spoken melodies of AP, Yahel and others.

On 4/7/2016 at 10:22 AM, astralprojection said:

^^

MFG indeed, took a very long time for me to appreciate also, for similar reasons.

Very alien sound (especially Genesis) and ahead of its time a bit.

Hallucinogen though, my first experience was Gamma Goblins 2 - had NO Idea that was the same genre as Space Dwarves which was my current fav at the time.

Thought it was some trippy acid fucked up track, that gamma goblins 2. It has since release grew on me to the point of being his best track.

and I TOTALLY hear it differntly now than then.

Back then all you heard were the very very wierd melody/theme of the track, and ofc the "fucked up" sample at the beginning.

All I knew was that it was amazing on shrooms and any other drug for that matter. Really challenged your psyche.

It was like a 1v1.

GNOTR - Klunk is similar for me. Amazing track, prob their best, but at the time of release again, was very wierd track when used to something like Space dwarves and Spiritual Healing, Yahel, and AP.

edit:

i mean back in 98/99, who the hell expects tracks like the Pigs in Space album, Gamma Goblins 2, etc, when u used to the soft spoken melodies of AP, Yahel and others.

Project Genesis is my favourite album by MFG. It sounds like they took all the great ideas from before and made them even more focussed and intense. Especially Why?, that's transcendent, serious and spiritual music, and Sunshine, which sounds like being trapped in a jet-fuel engine of a starship taking part in a cosmic laser battle. I've been playing around with synths but I haven't had much luck making the dirty 3D layered sci-fi sounds that MFG accomplished on that album. Unfortunately, like Oforia most of the stuff they made afterwards was not very good.

Thanks for recommending Gamma Goblins 2, I haven't listened to it in a long time... that track is DEEP. Personally my favourite Hallucinogen track is Orphic Thrench but I may have to reconsider...

Exactly, I think that in the early years of goa some people overlooked the darker artists because they lacked the soaring melodies of AP etc. You can see that in the original review threads on this forum. But 15 years later, looking back, I think that Pigs in Space and others comes out on top, and sounds most fresh. Or it may just be that these artists have more appeal to people who are more into the scene?

• Like 1

This is again one of those topics that:

1. Reminds me that I still should get (at least) the 2 first Oforia albums...

2. Makes me wonder again why so few artists these days attempt to create something similar th the artists/albums mentioned. Is it that nowadays the moment you try to turn your music in a (for the lack of a better description) nastier direction it all turns to darkpsy or twilight fullon or something. Maybe some day when my inspiration returns I'll get to it :)

The Lone Deranger has been a long time favourite of mine and was nothing short of love at first sight (or rather, "first listen"). Project Genesis had the same effect but I only bought it a few years ago. Pigs In Space I also only bought a few years ago and it still needs to grow on me (actually I'm going to listen to it right now).

• Like 1

This is again one of those topics that:

1. Reminds me that I still should get (at least) the 2 first Oforia albums...

2. Makes me wonder again why so few artists these days attempt to create something similar th the artists/albums mentioned. Is it that nowadays the moment you try to turn your music in a (for the lack of a better description) nastier direction it all turns to darkpsy or twilight fullon or something. Maybe some day when my inspiration returns I'll get to it :)

The Lone Deranger has been a long time favourite of mine and was nothing short of love at first sight (or rather, "first listen"). Project Genesis had the same effect but I only bought it a few years ago. Pigs In Space I also only bought a few years ago and it still needs to grow on me (actually I'm going to listen to it right now).

Number 2 is a very relevant question, almost all neogoa follows the Astral Projection school of goa rather than the MFG school of goa. I honestly think it's mostly due to the fact that it's damn hard to make music like MFG and Oforia, especially without analogue equipment. Perhaps when people try it ends up sounding like twilight fullon with a fat kick and bass hogging the soundscape rather than the intricate twisted sci-fi effects that those artists used. But that's not to discourage you - I would like to hear your productions when you come round to giving it a shot!

Also don't get Oforia's 2nd album - I think when talking about Ofer we are talking about the pre-1999 oldschool stuff, much of the stuff he produced after that is amazingly poor.

Also don't get Oforia's 2nd album

I disagree. It may not be as good as his first one, but it has some great tracks. His third album though was crap (minus the Alien Pump remix).

Project Genesis is my favourite album by MFG. It sounds like they took all the great ideas from before and made them even more focussed and intense. Especially Why?, that's transcendent, serious and spiritual music, and Sunshine, which sounds like being trapped in a jet-fuel engine of a starship taking part in a cosmic laser battle. I've been playing around with synths but I haven't had much luck making the dirty 3D layered sci-fi sounds that MFG accomplished on that album. Unfortunately, like Oforia most of the stuff they made afterwards was not very good.

Thanks for recommending Gamma Goblins 2, I haven't listened to it in a long time... that track is DEEP. Personally my favourite Hallucinogen track is Orphic Thrench but I may have to reconsider...

Exactly, I think that in the early years of goa some people overlooked the darker artists because they lacked the soaring melodies of AP etc. You can see that in the original review threads on this forum. But 15 years later, looking back, I think that Pigs in Space and others comes out on top, and sounds most fresh. Or it may just be that these artists have more appeal to people who are more into the scene, kind of like harder drugs.

Lol def A.I.

anyway what u said about genesis is spot on, also my fav from them by far, and i recently said almost what you said, almost exactly, few months ago in the mfg thread :P

sunshine even captured me back when i was in love with ap, just cause it was in that mfg/ap megamix.

dont remember year it came out. but didnt venture deeper into genesis until years later.

• Like 1

The Lone Deranger has been a long time favourite of mine and was nothing short of love at first sight (or rather, "first listen").

same here, first i heard gamma, then i explored further, got trancespotter, snakey shaker etc, all dl'd and burned to cds hehe i spread it to all my friends proudly