Uvantam.com - Guri & Guru

X-scream

Posted Image

1 What On Earth Is G+G?!?! (8:07)

2 Beyond The Point Of No Return (6:07)

3 6000 Miles From Guru (6:51)

4 Of Course You Can Go Nuts! (2:41)

5 Guri & Guru : An Odyssey (7:54)

6 A Chestnut Gourmet Needs Discipline (5:13)

7 Guru vs Guriemon (1:06)

8 A Stopover Trip In The Vortex (The Ascension PJPII) (8:25)

9 "Guri & Guru" With Google (4:05)

10 Guru & Gurio In The Schoolyard (8:16)

11 Green Green, Are You Going Out? (1:23)

12 In The Court Of The Crimson King (11:44)

UvAntam.com is Takeshi Isogai aka Ubar Tmar. Yes, the totally insane japanese is back with a live recording from his more recent project "uvAntam.com". This was already released in 2005 but I never heard of it until just recently. I've now listened to it maybe 4-5 times and I must say this is probably the most interesting music released in 2005, along side the brilliant second album of Artifakt (Artikts II).

Just a fair warning before you start listening to this one: If it sounds weird, it was probably intentional. And no, your CD is not skipping!

The album consists of 12 tracks from a live recording and immediately we recognize the Ubar Tmar sound but with a more tech-ier edge to it. You have to admire Takeshi for sticking to his own sound, this is pure Ubar Tmar style but with a more modern touch! Those who didn't like his previous works should give this a go anyway, there's enough sonic trickery to satisfy anyone, really... In the first track we get some really neat demented stuff on a steady pounding beat. In "What On Earth Is G+G?!?!" he introduces a couple of effects that will be used in almost all of the tracks.There's this CD-skipping like effect and a stuttering buffer override thingy, that you'll probably love or get annoyed the hell out of :) I must say I like it, at least in a moderate amount.

"Beyond The Point Of No Return" continues in the same fashion. Some scary sounds and mad samples tickling your senses before a sick riff tares you apart at the middle/end of the track. Lovely! "6000 Miles From Guru" sounds pretty similar to the previous track, but a bit more experimental (emphasis on mental!). "Of Course You Can Go Nuts!", sounds very much like the end of #2, which means this is really good :) Too bad it's just 2 minutes 41 seconds

"Guri & Guru : An Odyssey" is probably the dance floor killer of this album. We even got the screaming crowd at the end. The climax is a real crowd pleaser.. awesome track.

And the weirdest track name of them all "A Chestnut Gourmet Needs Discipline". A nice track with a lot of those weird effects you've heard up till now.

After that "Guru vs Guriemon", the one minute track, starts with some trademarked Ubar melodies, immediately followed by some f-cking intense driving noisy sounds!! Ohm-y god, this is so good but WHY is this only one minute?

"Stopover Trip In The Vortex (The Ascension PJPII)" is probably the most old-school sounding track here. Some pretty sweet melodies but nothing special, an ok track.

The next three tracks are probably the weirdest on the album... "'Guri & Guru' With Google" is a, pretty good, psy break beatish track but "Guru & Gurio In The Schoolyard" and "Green Green, Are You Going Out?" are just to plain weird. Especially "Guru & Gurio In The Schoolyard" which has this incredibly annoying sound that I can't stand.

The final track "In The Court Of The Crimson King" is also just a bit over the top some times, but overall it's a damn fine track, and it has electric guitars that do work!

Once again, there's still this remaining problem with Takeshi (at least in my opinion) and that is his love for awkward and silly sounds/melodies. But those are very few in this album compared to his earlier releases so it's not really a problem at all, it's just me nit picking.

There are a lot of truly great tracks in this album and some (#5) could easily work on the dance floor in the midst of a really insane set while others could destroy it (in the negative sense of the word :) ). If you play "In The Court of the Grimson King" people will literally go "WTF?" when the kick goes out of usual 4/4 and that destroying-buffer effect does some massive work.

The album starts of very impressive and in the first half of the album he has this perfect balance, not too insane, but not unsane either ;) The latter half is more experimental with moments that are a little too over the top for me. I'm not saying it's bad because it is definately not, it's just a little too much of the weirdness!

Bottom line, if you're into easy digestible full-on this might not be for you. There are maybe one or two tracks you can take before you start crying for more predictable breaks. But if you like new interesting and crazy music you should really try to track this one down... And, friends of suomi-psy will totally love this ;)

Goodies: 1, 2(!!), 3, 4(!), 5(!), 6, 7(!!), 12

Go buy or uvAntam will try die YOU!

http://uvantam.com/

http://www.discogs.com/release/609628

• 1 year later...

Experi_mental_ psy album. If you've heard Ubar Tmar, you know Takeshi likes to pick a little different route with his releases...

this time I'm not sure if I follow thou. There are sudden broken beats, weird melodies, unexpected turns.. and so much more. This is hardly music I could dance to. Perhaps light a big J and then wonder all the skill it took to make such piece of music. Not quite Suomi, not quite goa, not quite... like anything I've heard before. Just Takeshi doing different music for a decade now. :)

If you like to test how far you can like abstract psy then look no further.

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Yes, the totally insane japanese is back with a live recording from his more recent project "uvAntam.com".

I bought this release when it was new and have seen the comments on Discogs about this being "live" but I have never been able to figure out were people got that idea from. I searched the CD and packing over and never found a single comment about it being live anywhere.

That said it is another solid, if insane release from Ubar Tmar. If you like his brand of madness I'd recommend it. For others, it might take some getting used to.

I bought this release when it was new and have seen the comments on Discogs about this being "live" but I have never been able to figure out were people got that idea from. I searched the CD and packing over and never found a single comment about it being live anywhere.

That said it is another solid, if insane release from Ubar Tmar. If you like his brand of madness I'd recommend it. For others, it might take some getting used to.

There were parts where you could hear people shouting, as in live shouting. But aside from that, it certainly doesn't feel like it's live.

There were parts where you could hear people shouting, as in live shouting. But aside from that, it certainly doesn't feel like it's live.

To my ears those parts seemed to be obvious samples. With this type of music there is simply no way you would get live crowd sounds in a recording without purposely putting them there. Even more so in this case as there has already been an Ubar Tmar live album.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

+ verry unique,

+ verry psychedelic,

+ verry intense if you get into it

+ works really well as an album-experience

+ the samples of people cheering and clapping work also really good

- I don't like some of the breakbeaty & skipping stuff but it isn' bothering me

- some song are a bit too expirimental to my taste track 9 for example