Starcade - Radio Interstellar

Otto Matta

Definately your best yet, Otto. It's abstract, distinctive and original. Especially like the backgroud bits that sound haunting and slightly vocal. Is it a vocal you used?

What's the concept behind this one? Have to admit I didn't really get the spaceship concept of your last track even after repeated listening.

Knocking 'em out a bit fast, aren't you? Jesus.

Downloading now, via the power of broadband.  :)

506902[/snapback]

Well, that's what happens when you get totally, helplessly obsessed, I guess. I left my apartment once this weekend, to get 1. beer, 2. cigarettes, and 3. that lousy goddamn thing we call food.

Hope you like it. :)

Definately your best yet, Otto. It's abstract, distinctive and original. Especially like the backgroud bits that sound haunting and slightly vocal. Is it a vocal you used?

What's the concept behind this one? Have to admit I didn't really get the spaceship concept of your last track even after repeated listening.

506911[/snapback]

Well damn, Charlie, thanks.

Yeah, it's a chorus/vocal sample.

The concept? More spaceships, I'm afraid. :) No, it's a combination of things. One, I've been really passionate about the idea of what it would be like to be the dust that circles around the perimeter of galaxies, orbiting every few billion years or so, and how peaceful that must be - and if one thinks about our very, very distant evolution, this is what life might become (unless it already is...); and two, the abstract idea of what interstellar radio would sound like.

Fun, fun, fun. Thanks for listening, Charlie. :)

Now that concept I get, indeed it fits the track like a velvet glove. A beautiful, purple, velvet glove.

I've had it on repeat on Windows media player for the last 30 minutes now and it really is excellent, gets better with every listen. I'm confident everyone here who plays it will enjoy it and expect many similar comments to mine.

Now that concept I get, indeed it fits the track like a velvet glove. A beautiful, purple, velvet glove.

I've had it on repeat on Windows media player for the last 30 minutes now and it really is excellent, gets better with every listen. I'm confident everyone here who plays it will enjoy it and expect many similar comments to mine.

506967[/snapback]

Wow, Charlie. That's really a very, very nice compliment. Thank you. Mission accomplished. I can die happy. :D

Very nice tune, i'd replace the percussion with less organic one cause the tune screams for something synthetic. And also i'd vary the rhythm with more breaks and glitches.

The melody is very nice though.

507062[/snapback]

Good points. Thanks. The snare drum especially has been screaming to be synthetic, but I wouldn't let it. But now I will. :D

Hi Otto Matta.

First of all let let me congratulate you for this realy nice track : if I'm not mistaken this is only your second track with Reason but it seems to me that you've already mastered all the features this program offers, since the production is really good.

The other thing that impressed me very much is the melodies : they're simple yet very nice!!! (it was already the case in Electric Dayz)

The only criticism i could give is that the two melodies that plays together from 1'40 to 2'50 don't fit together very well in my opinion.

Looking forward to hearing this one Otto. I can't listen to music at work  :angry:

507374[/snapback]

Hope you like it. :)

Yes yes. You do so!!!

507445[/snapback]

Okay, dammit! :)

Hi Otto Matta.

First of all let let me congratulate you for this realy nice track : if I'm not mistaken this is only your second track with Reason but it seems to me that you've already mastered all the features this program offers, since the production is really good.

The other thing that impressed me very much is the melodies : they're simple yet very nice!!! (it was already the case in Electric Dayz)

The only criticism i could give is that the two melodies that plays together from 1'40 to 2'50 don't fit together very well in my opinion.

507555[/snapback]

Thanks, man. It's actually my third completed track, with some intermittent doodles in between. The second one - Generationz Out - was listed last weekend, but it may have timed out. But yeah, I'm slowly but surely getting the hang of Reason, although having it "mastered" is still a ways away. And thanks, I try to keep things simple, which may or may not be to my benefit.

Anyway, thanks for listening and the comments. Very kind of you, and it keeps me motivated.

Per! Man, I love this! I got the chills listening to this. When the tappy synth came in with bursts of an abstract melody i was instantly hooked. I love how that tickles the ear:) This is my favorite of yours. Once again, you've catered to my love of a slow gradual build. What a fun trip.

I don't know what it is, but there was someting that reminded me of The Secret of Mana on SNES. That's a good thing. My only complaint would be that it had to end :(

Thanks for sharing your work, it's really good.

Per! Man, I love this! I got the chills listening to this. When the tappy synth came in with bursts of an abstract melody i was instantly hooked. I love how that tickles the ear:) This is my favorite of yours. Once again, you've catered to my love of a slow gradual build. What a fun trip.

I don't know what it is, but there was someting that reminded me of The Secret of Mana on SNES. That's a good thing. My only complaint would be that it had to end :(

Thanks for sharing your work, it's really good.

507613[/snapback]

You're way too kind, Symph. I don't know what to say. I'm just glad you guys are around to listen and help me along with the process. It certainly is encouraging.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and for the great compliments, and I hope I can keep it up, while improving.

By the way, what sort of equipment do you use? And when can we expect some more tunes from you? :)

You're way too kind, Symph. I don't know what to say. I'm just glad you guys are around to listen and help me along with the process. It certainly is encouraging.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and for the great compliments, and I hope I can keep it up, while improving.

By the way, what sort of equipment do you use? And when can we expect some more tunes from you? :)

507620[/snapback]

No prob Otto. I mean what I say about your tunes. They are worth many listens; especially because they are unique.

I've got too many pieces that are partially done. I've been so incredibly frustrated with music for the past couple years. i can't seem to get into it like i used to. i hate to say it, but i'm a little burnt out with composing. I really do hate saying that because i was so passionate about it for so long. i am working on a song now that i go in and out of liking/hating so who knows when i'll get that done. stupid artist temperment :lol: well, i don't want this thread to be about me so i'll close with what i use to make music.

I've got 2 synths where i do most of my sequencing/composing: A Korg Triton and a Roland JV-1000. I then tweak out some of the sounds and fx in Adobe Audition and finally mix and master (poorly) in Acid Pro 5. It's a small setup, but i need limitations. I don't like to be overwhelmed with equipment. It's the best way to learn the in's and out's of your gear imho.

Anyway, enough about me. I've gotta listen to your new tune again with my headphones.

No prob Otto. I mean what I say about your tunes. They are worth many listens; especially because they are unique.

I've got too many pieces that are partially done. I've been so incredibly frustrated with music for the past couple years. i can't seem to get into it like i used to. i hate to say it, but i'm a little burnt out with composing. I really do hate saying that because i was so passionate about it for so long. i am working on a song now that i go in and out of liking/hating so who knows when i'll get that done. stupid artist temperment :lol:  well, i don't want this thread to be about me so i'll close with what i use to make music.

I've got 2 synths where i do most of my sequencing/composing: A Korg Triton and a Roland JV-1000. I then tweak out some of the sounds and fx in Adobe Audition and finally mix and master (poorly) in Acid Pro 5. It's a small setup, but i need limitations. I don't like to be overwhelmed with equipment. It's the best way to learn the in's and out's of your gear  imho.

Anyway, enough about me. I've gotta listen to your new tune again with my headphones.

507627[/snapback]

I hear everything you're saying, bro. I wrote music for a long time myself, and got so damn frustrated with it - I could never get my stuff to do the things I wanted it to do. So I started painting instead, and that went well, but I always hankered for music. I'd break all my equipment back out and try again, only to put it all away again a few hours later when it became too frustrating.

However, and this ties in with your comments about limitations, I had no idea at the time that the equipment I was using pretty much sucked and that I was limiting myself far too much, and therefore wasn't able to accomplish anything. I too believe in limiting oneself to an extent, but I also believe there's a nice middle ground that's not too little and not too much, and I think I've hit close to the sweet spot with Reason (although I'd like to get Cubase to make the production better).

So maybe, if you find you're missing your music-making, perhaps you've made things too limited, or maybe even too complicated (not consolidated and simplified). Or maybe it's just a time in your life where you need to take a break from it so that you can come back to it fresh and full of inspiration someday like I've somehow managed to do. Either way, you should be making music, I think. The track you shared here a few weeks ago was amazing.

Anyway, thanks again for your words of support. :D

Very nice indeed. I love the melodies and the slow build, and the bass/kick stabs are very effective, although they lose their power as the track progresses and they become disconnected from each other. There are also clashing frequencies in the kick, probably around 400-500Hz that I would cut. I agree that the main snare is dying to be synthetic and I'm glad you're changing this in future versions! I realise that it's probably a sound that is present from the beginning of the track in modified form but the main lead sound eg. the smooth melody present at 4:35 could do with a little low-mid cut at times as some notes 'stick out' of the mix a little too much I think.

I might be wrong but it sounds to me like you're using the bog-standard Reason delay - I would suggest using the delay algorithms in the RV7000 as these allow for tape-delay style decays, which I feel would add a little depth and interest to sounds as they die away. To me, the track also sounds quite dry in that Reason way; this might be helped with the addition of some early reflection reverb on some of the higher-frequency percussion sounds.

Very nice track Per, very nice indeed. Thoroughly releasable with a little work - and eminiently so if mixed outside Reason!

Another pictureful song. Made a good impression.

I like you stick to warm sounds and keep creating a finely weird and interesting moments in your tracks. And you have your style ;)

Tips:

Add something to that break at 6:35. Some alien thing would be wicked. And add a bit more variation to the beat like FP said.

Good work again.

This is a wonderful piece of music. I do agree with the other's comments on the percussion - bass is fine, but it could do with a little glitch or some effects chucked in (Malstrom is perfect for this). As for the rest - The builds are executed perfectly, the synths sound lush and warm, and the static you have floating around in the background compliments the track really well.

Did you use the factory presets, additional refills or did you synthesise the sounds yourself? I'd like to know. :)

Congratulations man, I'd love to hear something in a similar vein from you in the future. :D

You guys make me feel so good! Thank you so much.

Honestly, it's weird, though. Sometimes, with such nice remarks, I feel like my music could be like NJHO's, or Charlie's spoof, and I wouldn't even know it. I get a little paranoid.

Anyway, I've put a lot of thought into it and I feel like my tunes have been a little lazy. Like, I haven't done enough with the rhythms and variations to make them more interesting. I've been too impatient to get them done and share them out. So I'll be spending more time putting more interest in them, and not share them until I feel they're ready for it.

But again, I really appreciate your comments. Means a lot to me. :D

Hehe. :D Well, errr, that's what I meant. I mean, when I said my music might be like NJHO's, I meant you guys make me feel like a superstar, like him, which is totally undeserved. :D

Seriously, I just got home tonight from work to a complimentary email from an artist I really appreciate and admire, a guy named Nyles Lannon (a.k.a., n.ln). I've recommended his work elsewhere here at Psynews, and I'll do it again: His n.ln project is spectacular, ambient-ish IDM. Anyway, he asked to hear more of my work. Made me feel like a little girl! Heeeheeheehee!! :lol:

My weekend has been made. Cheers. :D