Starcade - Radio Interstellar

Otto Matta

I meant you guys make me feel like a superstar, like him, which is totally undeserved.  :D

510325[/snapback]

Not really dude, you deserve it. Great music. :)

Better than some of the stuff I've bought!

Not really dude, you deserve it. Great music.  :)

Better than some of the stuff I've bought!

510337[/snapback]

Okay, then either everything is going better than I expected or I'm a total retard and am unable to understand the joke. :D I feel the need to start a thread in off-topic about this, because either way it's fascinating...

If I recall, Shaft, you recently purchased Reason yourself. So...? When are we gonna hear some wicked tunage from ya?

Okay, then either everything is going better than I expected

510365[/snapback]

That's the one. :)

If I recall, Shaft, you recently purchased Reason yourself. So...? When are we gonna hear some wicked tunage from ya?

510365[/snapback]

I'm working on some. :)

Right now I worked out how to use the Malstrom synth to gate my Subtractor synth patch, instead of using the Matrix pattern sequencer. It's making some interesting results! Also I've bought a Novation ReMOTE 61SL which should arrive next week if all goes well - that will open the doors to faster patch programming and faster composing routine. Can't wait.

I'm working on some. :)

Right now I worked out how to use the Malstrom synth to gate my Subtractor synth patch, instead of using the Matrix pattern sequencer. It's making some interesting results! Also I've bought a Novation ReMOTE 61SL which should arrive next week if all goes well - that will open the doors to faster patch programming and faster composing routine. Can't wait.

510467[/snapback]

Whoa. Sounds complicated. I haven't really managed to get to the more advanced features of Reason yet. I'm still not really sure what the pattern sequencer is for. Is the Novation a keyboard?

Whoa. Sounds complicated. I haven't really managed to get to the more advanced features of Reason yet.

510704[/snapback]

It's not really that complicated. :)

I may be setting up a Reason community with tutorials, patches etc - I say may because I'm not sure yet. I'll have a think and try and write some tutorials. Would you find this helpful?

I'm still not really sure what the pattern sequencer is for.

510704[/snapback]

Then I assume you're playing in all your melodies by hand? Good for you. :)

The pattern sequencer is basically a device that handles a melodic pattern and plays it in perfect timing. Create a new blank Reason document - add a Mixer and a Subtractor. Then, add a Matrix to it. Draw on the pattern sequencer with your mouse and then hit play - you'll find that the Matrix will play your note sequences. If you want to add this to your project, right click the Matrix and select 'Copy Pattern To Track' - this will add 8 bars of your melody.

Is the Novation a keyboard?

510704[/snapback]

Yeps.

http://www.dv247.com/invt/32894/

Did you use the factory presets, additional refills or did you synthesise the sounds yourself? I'd like to know. :)

510233[/snapback]

I forgot to answer this question from you. I basically find a preset that sounds close to what I want, then I tweak the hell out of. Often it ends up sounding nothing like the original. The samples are more or less factory, though, since I haven't gotten far in my sampling knowledge. As are the drums, as I've been really lazy with those - I'd really like to get to the point where the majority are coming from the Subtractor. (Electric Dayz, my first track, used all Subtractor percussion, but was pretty simplistic.)

It's not really that complicated. :)

I may be setting up a Reason community with tutorials, patches etc - I say may because I'm not sure yet. I'll have a think and try and write some tutorials. Would you find this helpful?

Then I assume you're playing in all your melodies by hand? Good for you. :)

The pattern sequencer is basically a device that handles a melodic pattern and plays it in perfect timing. Create a new blank Reason document - add a Mixer and a Subtractor. Then, add a Matrix to it. Draw on the pattern sequencer with your mouse and then hit play - you'll find that the Matrix will play your note sequences. If you want to add this to your project, right click the Matrix and select 'Copy Pattern To Track' - this will add 8 bars of your melody.

Yeps.

http://www.dv247.com/invt/32894/

510924[/snapback]

I would definitely find a tutorial helpful. It's kinda cool that, when I'm in the mood, I'll browse around a little at the tips here and elsewhere, and usually find something useful that I would never have thought of.

Yeah, I play most of my melodies by hand, then tweak them in the piano roll. And when I want to create one grahically, I use the piano roll, because I find it gives me a great deal of editing flexibility.

Looks like a perfect controller keyboard. Must be nice to be able to tweak from there rather than with a mouse. My old Korg doesn't have the same communication with Reason.

I look forward to hearing what you come up with. Are you going to aim for trance?

I forgot to answer this question from you. I basically find a preset that sounds close to what I want, then I tweak the hell out of. Often it ends up sounding nothing like the original. The samples are more or less factory, though, since I haven't gotten far in my sampling knowledge. As are the drums, as I've been really lazy with those - I'd really like to get to the point where the majority are coming from the Subtractor. (Electric Dayz, my first track, used all Subtractor percussion, but was pretty simplistic.)

511166[/snapback]

Oh right! :) That's kind of what I do as well, but I'm starting to make my own sounds without patches as I've picked up the basics. For drums, yes you can get some great drums out of the Subtractor - but don't forget to scour the web for more samples - I've built up around a gig of useful stuff just from freebies.

Yeah, I play most of my melodies by hand, then tweak them in the piano roll. And when I want to create one grahically, I use the piano roll, because I find it gives me a great deal of editing flexibility.

511166[/snapback]

That's what I do - but for sequences where I'm technically lacking (such as huge arpeggios and keyboard leaps) then I'll use the pattern sequencer. :)

I would definitely find a tutorial helpful. It's kinda cool that, when I'm in the mood, I'll browse around a little at the tips here and elsewhere, and usually find something useful that I would never have thought of.

511166[/snapback]

That's great! I've created the forum now, but it'll be a few weeks before the actual launch - at the moment I'm preparing some tutorials and actual content to go on the site. I'll let you know when it's ready. :)

Looks like a perfect controller keyboard. Must be nice to be able to tweak from there rather than with a mouse. My old Korg doesn't have the same communication with Reason.

511166[/snapback]

Yes, I've always hated tweaking with a mouse - that's why I was prepared to put in the cash for an all in one controller. We'll see how it actually works when it arrives.

I look forward to hearing what you come up with. Are you going to aim for trance?

511166[/snapback]

No, I write downtempo. That's why I liked your track - I much prefer a spacey ambient track than a trance track. :)

Oh right! :) That's kind of what I do as well, but I'm starting to make my own sounds without patches as I've picked up the basics. For drums, yes you can get some great drums out of the Subtractor - but don't forget to scour the web for more samples - I've built up around a gig of useful stuff just from freebies.

That's what I do - but for sequences where I'm technically lacking (such as huge arpeggios and keyboard leaps) then I'll use the pattern sequencer. :)

That's great! I've created the forum now, but it'll be a few weeks before the actual launch - at the moment I'm preparing some tutorials and actual content to go on the site. I'll let you know when it's ready. :)

Yes, I've always hated tweaking with a mouse - that's why I was prepared to put in the cash for an all in one controller. We'll see how it actually works when it arrives.

No, I write downtempo. That's why I liked your track - I much prefer a spacey ambient track than a trance track. :)

511181[/snapback]

Where do you normally go for interesting samples? (Ones that people aren't using to death, like Hollywood and Hindu stuff.)

Where do you normally go for interesting samples? (Ones that people aren't using to death, like Hollywood and Hindu stuff.)

511191[/snapback]

Scroll down this topic to my post and there's a heap of sample sites (mostly drums)

http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=32339

For vocal samples, I just have a big search on Google, but sometimes it's pretty difficult to get what I'm after. Sample CDs are usually the best way to go.

Thanks Shaft. I'll put it on the first page as well. By the way, nice assortment of samples. I did a relatively quick search for certain more obscure samples and I had trouble finding interesting ones. What's the best way to Google a particular vocal/speech sample? Just dig around for a while?

What's the best way to Google a particular vocal/speech sample? Just dig around for a while?

512081[/snapback]

Yes - it's pot luck 90% of the time. Alternately you could get someone (or yourself) to read out quotes and record them. :)

cheerio!

and the track is great. nice style and the main melody makes an impression..

i really dig it. though like i always say, i'd like it a bit dirtier!! :lol:

i think this track in particular would sound nicer if the sounds were a bit more rough. (the odd fx here and there, etc) although i think its been made to sound crisp on purpose ; )

cheerio!

and the track is great. nice style and the main melody makes an impression..

i really dig it. though like i always say, i'd like it a bit dirtier!!  :lol:

i think this track in particular would sound nicer if the sounds were a bit more rough. (the odd fx here and there, etc) although i think its been made to sound crisp on purpose ; )

512098[/snapback]

I think you're right, unikos. I'd either like to go more synthetic (8-bit Kraftwerk-esque) or more organic (or rough, as you say), but it's so much easier in between. It's all about practice, and I've practically just begun.

Thanks for the nice comments and honest suggestions. Very helpful. :)