judge an album by its cover

snowball

Guest Cosmogenesis

Sometimes, covers are important for the imaginative representation of the concept of an album. I think for example that the "Project Genesis" from MFG correspond globally of the main "science-fictional" idea included inside each track of this album.

But the fact is covers can make you some mistakes or some prejudices, and you could pass through great masterpieces, if you don't like the covers.

That's why, personnally, I always first listen the tracks. Of course, if I like the tracks and the cover is wonderful, I will certainly more appreciate the album, it's an evidence. And why? Because my memory will make a psychedelic intense fusion between the sounds of the album and the "torrent of inspirated images" which are coming from the art cover.

In the record shop a cool cover catches your eye (but I suppose so does a shit cover) I often buy music riskily ie not knowing the style or quality of the music. sometimes Im disappointed but often Im pleasantly surprised. I usually pick albums this way based on track names and number of tracks. If there are cool names and few tracks I'll usually buy it. I try not to buy anything I dont know with more than 10 tracks. For example an album with 25 tracks called things like baby love or killaaarrggh music isn't going to be right for me.

if a cover is totally pink coloured and has some 'gay' elements... but the music is like dark ambient.. i'd still hate the music.. :)

i thought the Ticon - Zero Six After cover sucked. i still think it sucks, but i still bought the CD.

if the music is great, i nevermind the cover.

but yes, image counts.

i never bought a CD because of the cover though.

have you ever bought/didnt buy an album because of its cover ?

i know its wrong/stupid but i do it oftenly..... :rolleyes:

493687[/snapback]

when i was younger and always under the influence of psychedelics i did bought some albums I saw in that state,I was like WoW i must have that one :D it looks so cool and psychedelic it must be good ,nowaday I dont give a shit about the cover its more like a bonus.The music is what is important to me :)

I really appreciate nice covers and stuff like pictures discs and other special digipacks. But I stopped buying CDs just for the cover, I do buy special vinyls from time to time even if I don't know the song (like the Haldulium picture disc) but not CDs. There are so many covers I like in psy, I can't buy them all. So why bother starting...

I've boucht the Pet Shop Boys album Very when it was freshly out because it had a very special digipack: orange plastic with dots on it. Fortunately I absolutely love the tracks on it so it's not really a problem.

Back in the days when i found cds in stores my attention was of course attracted to covers that I found cool. But I always listened first, before buying. These days it's different since I buy almost everything online. If I buy cds in regular stores these days it's seldom electronic music at all. Some cool best of cds at nice price or something :)

when i was younger and always under the influence of psychedelics i did bought some albums I saw in that state,I was like WoW i must have that one :D it looks so cool and psychedelic it must be good ,nowaday I dont give a shit about the cover its more like a bonus.The music is what is important to me :)

493860[/snapback]

but back in the days all pietrance was good :)

every release was somehow new.. you know :)

Guest Astro Cortex

I don't think I've ever bought a CD solely based on how the cover looks like, at least not consciously. On the other hand though, I admit that my choice (and also the level of appreciation and imagination when listening to the music) is always at least a tiny little bit influenced by the cover art. Funny thing is, the magic sometimes is in the inside artwork/booklets, and you normally don't see that before buying the CDs.

These days I'm ordering 99.9% of my music online, and if I stumble upon some unknown release with very nice cover art somewhere on the web, I always try to gather some information about the artist or label (and of course search for reviews) before I decide whether to order it (or first of all, trying to find it, as it's often the case :rolleyes: ). On the other hand, if I'm familiar with the artist and I'm more or less confident that I'll like the music, even without sampling it first, a bad cover most certainly won't put me off ordering it.

have you ever bought/didnt buy an album because of its cover ?

i know its wrong/stupid but i do it oftenly..... :rolleyes:

493687[/snapback]

Yes, the cover conveys the concept and that's important to me. It's stupid but I can't help myself.

Usually the covers remind you very well what´s inside the cd, at least for me and at least oldschool psytrance, ofcourse i listen to the cd´s before buying but if i´am in a shop i first choose some cds aktually by the cover because they say what´s inside them and usually it´s exactly that inside what you think that´s inside because of looking at the cover, a extrem example for this is Astral Projection - Antoher world but the Hallucinogen cds say alzo what´s inside them, i think you can´t do a mistake by buying oldschool psytrance cds because o it´s cover.

Usually the covers remind you very well what´s inside the cd, at least for me and at least oldschool psytrance, ofcourse i listen to the cd´s before buying but if i´am in a shop i first choose some cds aktually by the cover because they say what´s inside them and usually it´s exactly that inside what you think that´s inside because of looking at the cover, a extrem example for this is Astral Projection - Antoher world but the Hallucinogen cds say alzo what´s inside them, i think you can´t do a mistake by buying oldschool psytrance cds because o it´s cover.

494329[/snapback]

Yeah, same here.