recommendations

ritual om

i want to buy a single album of the two artists below:

1.vangelis

2.pete namlook

what i want is definitely something that has a bit tweaking in it in a 'psychedelic' electronic way;great soundscapes and not a plain electronica sound

i don't want something like tangerine dream-phaedra or klaus schulze-moondawn.

i want something more complicated,modern and highly tweaked electronic sound.

i hope you get me.something that has detail and needs attention through listening...something that can stimulate something in me and make me say:

yay!

please keep it short and helpful

My favorite Vangelis albums are the Blade Runner soundtrack and El Greco.

And Pete Namlook ... He's done so much great music, it's hard to point out one album (I couldn't even do that with vangelis, haha). Anyways, check out the two albums he and Geir Jenssen (Biosphere) has done, The Fires of Orc (1 and 2). Solarized is also a damn fine album, and also his Moog series done with Klaus Schulze are very good, check the "best of"; The Evolution of the Dark Side of the Moog.

Also, the album from Pete Namlook I've listened to the most is perhaps the 4voice album from 1992, but that's not only ambient, most of the tracks are 4x4 trance tracks, a few ambient tracks and even a couple of hardcore tracks.

I didn't keep this short and helpful, sorry.

my favorite artist of all time is vangelis, and i have everything of his as far as i know.

albums by him i value the highest are:

1492 - conquest of paradise (OST)

direct

voices (might be what you are looking for)

regardless, this guy rarely does anything wrong imo.

enjoy :)

.x

Short and helpful :

PETE NAMLOOK & RICHIE HAWTIN - FROM WITHIN

PETE NAMLOOK & RICHIE HAWTIN - FROM WITHIN 2

PETE NAMLOOK & RICHIE HAWTIN - FROM WITHIN 3

PETE NAMLOOK & SPEEDY J - PPNMLK

PLASTIKMAN - ARTIFAKTS B.C

PLASTIKMAN - CONSUMED

SPICELAB - SPY VS. SPICE

TRIP OUT ! ;):rolleyes:B)

Okay, the difference in new Vangelis versus old Vangelis is basically that the new stuff is more classical sounding, whereas the older stuff (like Bladerunner) is more analog and synthesized. My favorite albums of his are his early ones, especially Opera Sauvage and Apocalypse des Animaux. Blade Runner comes in third, but it is also a very good album.

If you're looking for a good Namlook bargain, check out the MP3 mutli-album compilations he's been putting out in recent years. The MP3s are a very high bitrate (300+), and you get several albums in one. My favorite by far is the stuff that he did with David Moufang (a.k.a. Move D). It's spacey electronic stuff with smooth beats.

Vangelis - Blade Runner (my favorite)

Vangelis - Spiral

ps Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze are more psychedelic than Vangelis... Moondawn track 1 is a space-rock-jam masterpiece. I suggest to also give their music a(nother) chance. Some of it might appear a bit 'basic' but it requires a different way of listening, not with complete attention but also not as pure background music. They are the masters of old skool psychedelica. Anyway, I guess it doesn't work for everyone so I will shut up.

Namlook - Air 1, Air 2, Psychonavigation 2, Darkside of the Moog 9

and use the search for more

Guest Astro Cortex

First of all, a warning: Namlook stuff is ADDICTIVE! ;)

There's some very good stuff mentioned already, yet I can't help giving you even more recommendations:

Dreamfish - THE classic, needs no introduction

Ozoona - in a more DnB/IDM style + very positive vibe overall

S.H.A.D.O 1&2 (with HIA) - intelligent indeed, futuristic & excellent

Jet Chamber 1&2 - "Intelli-Jet-Ambient" with electronic allround-talent Atom Heart

If you're looking for more upbeat/dancable stuff, check Dark Side of the Moog 6.

For some very interesting 'whole-disc-one-track' adventure trips I'd recommend Alien Community 2 (!!!), Wechselspannung 1 and early volumes in the 'Namlook' series.

Of course I also agree on the excellent From Within series.

Getting the Move D/Namlook MP3 disc wouldn't be a bad idea either I think.

I just got the first of the series, it's called 'Exploring the PSYCHEDELIC Landscape'. I'll listen to it today to see if it lives up to its name :) .

Not to mention all the sublabel (i.e. non-Namlook) releases of the Faxlabel. Lots of gems to be found there too :D .

First of all, a warning: Namlook stuff is ADDICTIVE! ;)

There's some very good stuff mentioned already, yet I can't help giving you even more recommendations:

Dreamfish - THE classic, needs no introduction

Ozoona - in a more DnB/IDM style + very positive vibe overall

S.H.A.D.O 1&2 (with HIA) - intelligent indeed, futuristic & excellent

Jet Chamber 1&2 - "Intelli-Jet-Ambient" with electronic allround-talent Atom Heart

If you're looking for more upbeat/dancable stuff, check Dark Side of the Moog 6.

For some very interesting 'whole-disc-one-track' adventure trips I'd recommend Alien Community 2 (!!!), Wechselspannung 1 and early volumes in the 'Namlook' series.

Of course I also agree on the excellent From Within series.

Getting the Move D/Namlook MP3 disc wouldn't be a bad idea either I think.

I just got the first of the series, it's called 'Exploring the PSYCHEDELIC Landscape'. I'll listen to it today to see if it lives up to its name :) .

Not to mention all the sublabel (i.e. non-Namlook) releases of the Faxlabel. Lots of gems to be found there too :D .

439659[/snapback]

Hey Astro, how did you get the S.H.A.D.O. albums? I've been dying to hear them for many years but they're impossible to find. Please tell me they've been re-released.

Guest Astro Cortex

Hey Astro, how did you get the S.H.A.D.O. albums? I've been dying to hear them for many years but they're impossible to find. Please tell me they've been re-released.

439813[/snapback]

As you may easily guess, I've won them on eBay, like most of my Fax CDs. And I have to dissappoint you, they've not been re-released :( . Instead Pete just reissued From Within 2&3, which are readily available on Hawtin's M_nus label <_< .

Did you want beats or no beats in the Namlook stuff?

Oh, and Vangelis is not the most psychedelic or tweaked music. For a similar sound you may be better off with Jean Michel Jarre's work instead.

Edit: I've been inspired by this thread to break out my Move D/Namlook Collection CD. It's been a while and I have to say that the third album on the 6-album disk, The Retro Rocket, is extremely moving. It just ended and it really took me somewhere. The Moufang string progressions and rhythms, and the signature Namlook wispy analog-ish tones throughout are something else. They take you traveling to distant sunny lands and space at the same time.

Whereas the first album, Exploring the Psychedelic Landscape, reminds me a lot of Dreamfish, which is not a bad thing, it's just more down-to-Earth.

Guest Cosmogenesis

I am a fan of Vangelis and I first advice you to buy "Albedo 0.39": an old but excellent album wich sounds "psychedelic". Second, I think that "Antartica" should be an excellent experience for your ears and your head, because of his wonderful and magical atmosphere. "Spiral" is also a good album, with some interesting effects. "Oceanic" is an another good choice if you want a deep and emotional journey into the abysses of the sea.

I don't recommand you "Christophe Colomb OST" or "Mythodea" or "Alexander OST", because I don't think they are so "psychedelic" as you want. IMO they are more "symphonic" than "psychedelic".

Did you want beats or no beats in the Namlook stuff?

Oh, and Vangelis is not the most psychedelic or tweaked music. For a similar sound you may be better off with Jean Michel Jarre's work instead.

Edit: I've been inspired by this thread to break out my Move D/Namlook Collection CD. It's been a while and I have to say that the third album on the 6-album disk, The Retro Rocket, is extremely moving. It just ended and it really took me somewhere. The Moufang string progressions and rhythms, and the signature Namlook wispy analog-ish tones throughout are something else. They take you traveling to distant sunny lands and space at the same time.

Whereas the first album, Exploring the Psychedelic Landscape, reminds me a lot of Dreamfish, which is not a bad thing, it's just more down-to-Earth.

440025[/snapback]

no beats