Solution for everyone

visine

Well, I for one feel that i support the scene enough. I have a lot of downloaded music, but I also buy around 20 cd's a year, more than, say, a 60 year old man who doesn't download at all (thus being completely legal) but neither buys anything, except the occasional jazz cd his wife gives him for birthday present.

So why can't everybody (who can afford it) just start buying AS WELL AS downloading :huh: (I know it's impossible), to support their interest?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A thought came in...

if the artist releases a DVD with 5.1 Surround Sound - it would make it really hard to download because of the size - 4.7GB... on the other hand most of the downloaders feel ok listening to 192kbps mp3 and only strong market players would survive - I mean not every artist has the equiptment to make 5.1 sound.

Also I've been thinking lately about making a distribution company here in Ukraine - the same thing could be done in other countries as well. I asked many people derectly and through our psy-forums and they say that buying CD for ~8 Euro is OK and they would be very happy to do so... and I know labels receive only 6 Euro per CD. It wont be very profitable, but I could do that for the music.

...just thoughts.

436330[/snapback]

you can compress that 5.1 to ac3 :P

Well, I for one feel that i support the scene enough. I have a lot of downloaded music, but I also buy around 20 cd's a year, more than, say, a 60 year old man who doesn't download at all (thus being completely legal) but neither buys anything, except the occasional jazz cd his wife gives him for birthday present.

So why can't everybody (who can afford it) just start buying AS WELL AS downloading  :huh: (I know it's impossible), to support their interest?

436457[/snapback]

i repeat that i the prices aren't reduced the situation isn't getting any better especially for the new generations that never occured to them to buy any music.

think that even for us that buy music is hard.imagine how it is for their state of mind.this state is also supported by the whole attitude of piracy doesn't kill music;commerce kills it.this means as mentioned before:when you see cd's that cost 23 euro then you strengthen one's thought of downloading.the whole music thing has become very commercial and many people are urged into piracy

Here is another thing. Some small labels released CDs exclusivelly from their website...but they charge full prices even though there is no ditribution/middleman  :blink:  :blink:  Why not pass on some of those savings onto the customer? Maybe they are afraid their product will be deemed less valuable if it costs less then what other people sell it for at places like psyshop or saikosounds.

436414[/snapback]

this is not valid cause even now(if not now at least in a few years) everyone has the ability(samples,p2p) to listen to the music before buying.so if you do like the music then you don't care if this item is cheaper than the others.you just buy it...

Here is another thing. Some small labels released CDs exclusivelly from their website...but they charge full prices even though there is no ditribution/middleman  :blink:  :blink:  Why not pass on some of those savings onto the customer?

436414[/snapback]

you must ponder on that...

So why can't everybody (who can afford it) just start buying AS WELL AS downloading  :huh: (I know it's impossible), to support their interest?

436457[/snapback]

well if you buy oldskool mostly... artists dont get any %$ from these i think...

especially if we're talking second-handed cd's, artists/labels get nothing.

aynewaz blah blah blah blah

+rls

well if you buy oldskool mostly... artists dont get any %$ from these i think...

+rls

436825[/snapback]

hey, wtf is "+rls" :D?

and about artists getting nothing - im 100% sure that its so, at least when you buy second hand [doesnt matter if joe sells new or used copies] :)

Let's hear those ideas..You are the consumer let your voice be heard. What would make you buy instead of download for free?

435546[/snapback]

Hmmm-around where I live I guess downloading is a problem as the records stores are stocking "very minimal" psytrance. We're talkin Tammy Wynette / Linda Rondstadt territory here!! :ph34r: (although 'Heart Like A Wheel' is brilliant IMO!!)

I guess what would make me wana buy albums instead of takin it easy and downloadin it, would be cash! If ive got it rollin in, then the original albums start rollin in. Sayin that, if the cash aint comin in but the album has some amazing artwork or freebies then ill buy it, somehow.

+rls

436825[/snapback]

Why wouldn't one earn money when he/she sells a first-hand copy?

Second-hand is good for the environment and wallet. Also, if you buy an EP/CD second-hand it results in someone else not being able to buy that specific copy hence they'd need to get it from a different second-hand source (which isn't an endless vault). first-hand, or buy something else. Perhaps that something else is first-hand...

--

Selling or licensing data (e.g. text, software, audio, video) to individuals doesn't work anymore in 200x since the cost of making a copy of that data is 0 or near 0. Look up "zero marginal cost". This is the real problem of piracy which isn't going to be solved by applying DRM or alienating (potential) customers in any other way, keeping the price tag the same, or using the same business model as 30 years ago. That's why i ain't nor want to be in a business involving zero marginal cost products. Even if i would, i would certainly do such as side project; not as my primary source of income.