I had a lecture about Goa/Psy today

About this whole Posford issue:

I started to listen to Psytrance in 94/95, I owned the Twisted album, i liked it, but not more or less than other albums at the time, such as Etnicas Alien Protein, or early AP, or Prana, or Early X-Dream, MWNN. To me he was just another Goaartist, not bad at all, but nothing special, and I remember listening to Lone Deranger in the Record store, but not buying it cause I didnt like it. Then when Shpongle first came out I also liked it, bought it, listened to it some, forgot about it, and then around 2000 I started hanging out on the Old Psynews and other Internet forums.

Having been cut off from the public opinion about artists and just going by own tastes, I was totally amazed by all that Posford mania going on. I remember thinking to myself "Why is everyone so crazy about Shpongle and Hallucinogen, but not about Etnica "Trip Tonite" or Prana or Dimension 5?" What does Posford have that others do not have? It seemed like some completely random Boyband Groupie crazyness going on. I always liked what he does, some things more than others, but it never amazed me at all, to me his work has alwys been "good-but-not-great".

And I also noticed that he keeps doing the same tricks over and over, and it always sounds so artificial and plastic. To all you posford maniacs, please listen to Kino Oko "Lost Entertainment" and listen how all the effects and tricks sound so much more alive and interesting. I have no ideas how music is made technically, but Kino Oko sounds a million miles ahead, IMHO at least. But, knowing the litlle man-whore groupies that you are, your preconceptions wont let you listen to it from a neutral standpoint anyways.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moni your mood is most times right for the new in my opinion boring artists like artifact and so on, i listened stuff from new artists like ticon and all the other derango... in psyradio.fm and the stuff is really boring, easy to make and dark, nothing uplifting like the good oldschool music. I´am interested in that why you listen more the new stuff inste3ad the old, i don´t want be offensive

426891[/snapback]

the new stuff has more variety. the offer is larger than just goa. so depending on my mood i have where to choose from.

i listen to various styles of music, like: psytrance with all subgenres ... full on, dark, melodic-uplifting, old-school, minimal, progressive trance to electro, tech trance, suomi, downtempo, chill-out, some breaks, some rock. so yes, i listen also to older stuff, when i'm in the mood.

so if you don't listen to newer stuff because you don't like it, then i listen to newer stuff because i like it. simple. our brains ask for different stuff i guess. :)

i know how old stuff sounds like, i've been there allready. i am a curious person, so i have more interest in "NEW".

sometimes i feel like listening to old stuff that i haven't listened to yet. but that would mean to search and download. i'm pretty lazy when downloading is concerned.

Having been cut off from the public opinion about artists and just going by own tastes, I was totally amazed by all that Posford mania going on. I remember thinking to myself "Why is everyone so crazy about Shpongle and Hallucinogen, but not about Etnica "Trip Tonite" or Prana or Dimension 5?" 

Your position seems a bit binary to me. It's possible to like Halluncinogen, Etnica, Pleiadians, X-dream and Dimension 5. One does not exclude the others.

What does Posford have that others do not have?

DMT and Raja Ram.

Just kidding. What makes Posford standout is the width of his output, this scene wouldn't be where it is today without his work. The influence of Hallucinogen, Shpongle and Posfords numerous co-productions cannot be denied. This is not only a layman's view, in interviews back in the days there were a lot of artists praising Posford's work and expressing an interest to work with him.

Only a few artists would be able to compete with Posford as far as importance is conserned.

What I personaly like about Posford's work is the earthy mushroom feel.

And I also noticed that he keeps doing the same tricks over and over, and it always sounds so artificial and plastic. To all you posford maniacs, please listen to Kino Oko "Lost Entertainment" and listen how all the effects and tricks sound so much more alive and interesting. I have no ideas how music is made technically, but Kino Oko sounds a million miles ahead, IMHO at least. But, knowing the litlle man-whore groupies that you are, your preconceptions wont let you listen to it from a neutral standpoint anyways.

426995[/snapback]

Lost entertainment is indeed a great album.

Your position seems a bit binary to me. It's possible to like Halluncinogen, Etnica, Pleiadians, X-dream and Dimension 5. One does not exclude the others.

DMT and Raja Ram.

Just kidding. What makes Posford standout is the width of his output, this scene wouldn't be where it is today without his work. The influence of Hallucinogen, Shpongle and Posfords numerous co-productions cannot be denied. This is not only a layman's view, in interviews back in the days there were a lot of artists praising Posford's work and expressing an interest to work with him.

Only a few artists would be able to compete with Posford as far as importance is conserned.

What I personaly like about Posford's work is the earthy mushroom feel.

Lost entertainment is indeed a great album.

427051[/snapback]

what´s the earthy mushroom feel like, is it like this: (To the hallucinogen, yes he used the same tricks that i like, some tracks of him give me really the feeling that i´am in very dry mountains and it is very hot there, for example gama goblin part 2 at the end, or the remix of Jana or Synthesizler at the end and some other like LSD Live mix) We have 3 threads opened about hallucinogen, really cracy.

DMT and Raja Ram.

427051[/snapback]

Of course its possible to like all of them, the question I had was what makes Posford BETTER than them, cause to me they are all on the same level, i do (or did) like them all.

Of course its possible to like all of them, the question I had was what makes Posford BETTER than them, cause to me they are all on the same level, i do (or did) like them all.

427080[/snapback]

i've been wondering about this too.

427080[/snapback]

I thought I answered that question:

What makes Posford standout is the width and importance of his output, this scene wouldn't be where it is today without his work. The influence of Hallucinogen, Shpongle and Posfords numerous co-productions cannot be denied. This is not only a layman's view, in interviews back in the days there were a lot of artists praising Posford's work and expressing an interest to work with him.

Last night, i had a few spare moments, so i lit a joint, put my headphones on, and turned "Twisted" up.

I am almost embarrassed to say it, but for the 1st time, i was truely blown away. I dont know why it didnt grab me so much before, maybe listening to it on high quality headphones just gave it that extra sparkle it needed.

This album is seriously brilliant, and incredibly psychedelic. It gets a bit "much" further on. but this isnt a bad thing. its still very good at it. It almost hurts concentrating on all of it for too long, because its got so much detail. But this is a good CD. I do find it a bit "dark" which surprised me. But I have yet to hear anything like this.

Cant believe Ive had this CD for like 6 years or something and havnt really sat down, closed my eyes and "LISTENED" to it properly. from beginning to end.

The curse of having too much music.

But i do love this CD. I could imagine listening to this on LSD being quite a harrowing experience.

With a friend in class infront of mostly rock oriented students. We started from the early techno/electronica and moved to Goa and then finally Psy and Full-On. In the end of the lecture we play Gamma Goblins from the Deranger album by Hallucinogen.

One of the students that isn't familiar with Psy that much said that this track was several levels beyond all the other nonsense we played before (Astral Projection, MFG, Infected Mushroom, Electric Universe and more) and he asked was it really necessary to take us through all the silly trance and to keep the worthy things till the very end.

Discuss?

426254[/snapback]

from which aspect did he judge?

if he didn't make it clear he was just talking bullshit.

well from the projects that you mention astral,mfg,im one guess is that if you are a couch potato then you will definitely like hallucinogen more at once cause the energy in his compositions is not that obvious.(in terms of serotonine stimulation)

astral,mfg,im ,you know,they have that super strong kick,the driving insane basslines,they have the tracks that make you say at once : THIS IS POWER! LET'S DANCE!

of course they are psychedelic too.

the point is to explore the magic that every artist is hiding in his compositions.

there is also taste ... ;)

Here's my take on the Posford-difference -

As Colin said, it's party the subtelty he weaves into his music but better than that is the the passion he pours into his work, the attention to detail, he has a unique ability of making electronic music sound organic, almost as if the music itself is a living entity. It has a human-touch, a warmth and an 'earthlyness' that none can match.

Guest Elysium

Here's my take on the Posford-difference -

As Colin said, it's party the subtelty he weaves into his music but better than that is the the passion he pours into his work, the attention to detail, he has a unique ability of making electronic music sound organic, almost as if the music itself is a living entity. It has a human-touch, a warmth and an 'earthlyness' that none can match.

427271[/snapback]

I call it taste.... anyone remember that little word?

I can not create Simon's sound and he can not create my sound. It's as simple as that. Thats why we have our own unique sound and why some like it and some dont.

all the rest is just teen-groupie nonsense. Not that you are teens ;)

I call it taste.... anyone remember that little word?

I can not create Simon's sound and he can not create my sound. It's as simple as that. Thats why we have our own unique sound and why some like it and some dont.

all the rest is just teen-groupie nonsense. Not that you are teens ;)

427273[/snapback]

Of course it's taste. Those who don't appreciate warmth and a human-touch won't find his music that special, some prefer a powerful or acutely synthetic sound, others prefer the tribal thing, some subtle minimalist stuff.

I was just voicing my opinion on why I consider his work special.

Guest Elysium

Of course it's taste. Those who don't appreciate warmth and a human-touch won't find his music that special, some prefer a powerful or acutely synthetic sound, others prefer the tribal thing, some subtle minimalist stuff.

I was just voicing my opinion on why I consider his work special.

427280[/snapback]

I know and I respect your taste but all these Simon posts and all the teen-groupy nonsense (who mostly dont respect other people's taste) is a tiny bit too boring ;)

not directed at you just a general observation :)

Edited by Elysium

I know and I respect youir taste but all these Simon posts and all the teen-groupy nonsense it a tiny bit too boring ;)

not directed at you just a general observation :)

427284[/snapback]

I agree with you, there have been far too many Posford threads of late.

We study sound engineering so i urged people to enjoy the technical side and not the musical side. The 2 tracks that were mostly appreciated were "Bust a move" by IM and Gamma Goblins.

427279[/snapback]

OK.but let's not forget that every kind of music is not only about technique.

i don't know which tracks you played but if they found silly the other tracks by ap,mfg,im then they are missing the essence of the music...the call of the music...nevermind!

if you focused in the technical side it is a crime not to play a pleiadians track.

they are by far the most technical group in psy history ever.

OK.but let's not forget that every kind of music is not only about technique.

i don't know which tracks you played but if they found silly the other tracks by ap,mfg,im then they are missing the essence of the music...the call of the music...nevermind!

if you focused in the technical side it is a crime not to play a pleiadians track.

they are by far the most technical group in psy history ever.

427317[/snapback]

Yes but i study sound engineering, not architecture. We study technique.

Yes but i study sound engineering, not architecture. We study technique.

427329[/snapback]

so what?then don't try to conclude something about the essence of the music you played to your fellows.you must have remarked that your colleagues just commented on the quality of the downmix and the mastering of the track...

did you play any pleiadians track?

so what?then don't try to conclude something about the essence of the music you played to your fellows.you must have remarked that your colleagues just commented on the quality of the downmix and the mastering of the track...

did you play any pleiadians track?

427339[/snapback]

I played Lunar Civilization by Crop Circles. I disagree with the Pleiadians remark. IMHO Simon Posford has the best sound skills.

The remark was done by one friend that doesn't listen much to Psy Trance and it was a technical remark only. It was about the richness of sound and the well balanced mix.

i still have one question since you don't clarify some things...

did you judge on the mix,on the mastering,on the sequences,on the sounds and the presets...what?

this is crucial in judging whether your colleagues were correct in their statement (what you wrote about foolishness) or not...

i listened stuff from new artists like ticon and all the other derango... in psyradio.fm and the stuff is really boring, easy to make and dark, nothing uplifting like the good oldschool music. I´am interested in that why you listen more the new stuff inste3ad the old, i don´t want be offensive

426891[/snapback]

Do you consider music has to be hard to make to be good??? Ticon is not Dark and I don´t think

it´s very easy to make...

i still have one question since you don't clarify some things...

did you judge on the mix,on the mastering,on the sequences,on the sounds and the presets...what?

this is crucial in judging whether your colleagues were correct in their statement (what you wrote about foolishness) or not...

427354[/snapback]

I was not the judge, i made the lecture (with a friend).

There was a remark by 1 friend and his remark was technical and concerned mix and spectral richness. That's all. Not mastering, we didn't study it yet.