Wich realeses are considered rare?

Maxx

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been collecting music for many years aswell, though not just psy-stuff.

Not having a lot of spare money I've been a sucker for secondhand cd's. Sometimes I've bought stuff I hardly new just because it was cheap. I admit it, I was wrong :P

One thing I always keep in mind is RARE =/= GOOD. I can understand it's a different matter for hardcore collectors, but I'd never buy something I didn't like JUST because it's rare. Some part of me has to be convinced it's gonna be at least kinda g00d...

Interesting discussion here, but I don't think the majority of collectors do it to "show off".

I agree with many things you said PKS. I did not say "the majority" of collectors like to show off, but I think there is a fair bit of such behavior displayed all over the web. I don't think this has much to do with their "collecting spirit".

I suspect these are emotional issues some of them try to rectify by seeking praise and acceptance from others. Just the fact they are listing their collection on Discogs does not lead me to the conclusion they have such issues, but their comments do.

I agree with many things you said PKS. I did not say "the majority" of collectors like to show off, but I think there is a fair bit of such behavior displayed all over the web. I don't think this has much to do with their "collecting spirit".

I suspect these are emotional issues some of them try to rectify by seeking praise and acceptance from others. Just the fact they are listing their collection on Discogs does not lead me to the conclusion they have such issues, but their comments do.

430290[/snapback]

I can't help feeling that this is in some way directed towards me (being a forum regular and big collector). If this is the case, I would appreciate if you spoke out about the specifics - not in an "I dare you to say it to my face!!!"-kinda way, but rather to get away from this whole beating about the bush situation. Put the cards on the table, so to speak. Feel free to do it in private (preferrably through e-mail rather than forum PM's), if you feel uncomfortable doing it in public.

Right now it's vague accusations that I can't quite grasp the point of, so something more palpable would be much appreciated. If possible, I'd like to replace this hostility with understanding, thats all.

EDIT: This goes for anyone who has been annoyed in some way by me and my attitude towards collecting records, it's not just directed to visine.

I can't help feeling that this is in some way directed towards me (being a forum regular and big collector). If this is the case, I would appreciate if you spoke out about the specifics - not in an "I dare you to say it to my face!!!"-kinda way, but rather to get away from this whole beating about the bush situation. Put the cards on the table, so to speak. Feel free to do it in private (preferrably through e-mail rather than forum PM's), if you feel uncomfortable doing it in public.

Right now it's vague accusations that I can't quite grasp the point of, so something more palpable would be much appreciated. If possible, I'd like to replace this hostility with understanding, thats all.

430311[/snapback]

what makes you think that its about you?

i dont know tho :)

what makes you think that its about you?

i dont know tho :)

430324[/snapback]

I don't know if it's paranoia or pattern recognition, but noone has said that it's not about me, and I guess I have the biggest (goa) collection of all psynews members, so I would be an obvious target. Also, I "show off" my collection through a link in my signature and post in just about every thread about collecting and rare records. I've also listed some of my most precious rarities on several occasions. If someone thinks I'm a prick due to this, I just wish they would talk to me about it instead of hinting at it and generalizing about collectors.

I don't know if it's paranoia or pattern recognition, but noone has said that it's not about me, and I guess I have the biggest (goa) collection of all psynews members, so I would be an obvious target. Also, I "show off" my collection through a link in my signature and post in just about every thread about collecting and rare records. I've also listed some of my most precious rarities on several occasions. If someone thinks I'm a prick due to this, I just wish they would talk to me about it instead of hinting at it and generalizing about collectors.

430331[/snapback]

if someone thinks so that he really is one jealous pussy :D

i personally dont think that you show of, more than - if i see you having huge record collection and talking alot about it then i know that maybe you and alikes are the ones who might be informed about this music so others can ask some questions about it

and so on :)

430311[/snapback]

No there is no way this is directed specifically at you or anyone in particular. If I had a problem with you I'd definitely tell you privately. If you go a few pages back I clearly stated "I'm sure you've seen this kind of stuff...you've been around long enough to know this kind of stuff is happening"...

I'm sorry if my words may have hit too close to home (I hope they didn't), but that's the way I feel.

I don't think it is a hostile intent, but an honest one. If you or anyone else seek attention because your collection is so great and like to show off I think you've got issues to resolve and those issues will never get resolved by showing off since that is just a manifestation and the cause is deeper than that. Again, I am NOT pointing a finger at anyone. It's just an observation from a fellow collector...that's all.

No there is no way this is directed specifically at you or anyone in particular. If I had a problem with you I'd definitely tell you privately. If you go a few pages back I clearly stated "I'm sure you've seen this kind of stuff...you've been around long enough to know this kind of stuff is happening"...

I'm sorry if my words may have hit too close to home (I hope they didn't), but that's the way I feel.

I don't think it is a hostile intent, but an honest one. If you or anyone else seek attention because your collection is so great and like to show off I think you've got issues to resolve and those issues will never get resolved by showing off since that is just a manifestation and the cause is deeper than that. Again, I am NOT pointing a finger at anyone. It's just an observation from a fellow collector...that's all.

430357[/snapback]

do you have crop circles ep?

Heh number one I did not try to sigle out Ukiro...number two I am not jealous...trust me on that one

430371[/snapback]

you just did the same he did - you thought that its about you :rolleyes:

its not. i said if someone is jealous then hes pussy.

Yes.

430375[/snapback]

SHOW OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:P

j/k :)

you just did the same he did - you thought that its about you :rolleyes:

its not. i said if someone is jealous then hes pussy.

SHOW OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:P

j/k :)

430381[/snapback]

He he ... sorry to burst your bubble but that Crop Circles 12" is nice to have and has some great music on it, but it's hardly the most valuable record in collector's circles :)

Anyways, having pictures in avatars or link to their Discogs accounts in signatures is not what I was taking about in my previous posts.

Big respect to all the serious collecters out there. I for one am totally jealous. I buy a shit load of music but I just dont seem to have the discipline to be serious. I have the money but I have other passions and a leech of an apartment! I wish I had your collections but I'll have to settle for mine, small though it is. The rarest stuff I have is probably some of the old flying rhino stuff or old blue room stuff.

I bought freestyle singularity on flying rhino freestyle label last year but caiman.com took my money and lied to me about sending it to me. Ive never seen or heard about that CD more than 2 or 3 times. Has anyone else?

Big respect to all the serious collecters out there. I for one am totally jealous. I buy a shit load of music but I just dont seem to have the discipline to be serious. I have the money but I have other passions and a leech of an apartment! I wish I had your collections but I'll have to settle for mine, small though it is. The rarest stuff I have is probably some of the old flying rhino stuff or old blue room stuff.

I bought freestyle singularity on flying rhino freestyle label last year but caiman.com took my money and lied to me about sending it to me. Ive never seen or heard about that CD more than 2 or 3 times. Has anyone else?

430404[/snapback]

Here you go: flying rhino - singularity CD

Good luck

He he ... sorry to burst your bubble but that Crop Circles 12" is nice to have and has some great music on it, but it's hardly the most valuable record in collector's circles  :)

Anyways, having pictures in avatars or link to their Discogs accounts in signatures is not what I was taking about in my previous posts.

430391[/snapback]

well ive never said that CC is bad, it "fukin rawks" ;)

yes, its not what you were talking about, but didnt i say that i am joking, if i did then its obvious that i wasnt talking about you and discogs accounts/pics/sigs etc :)

well ive never said that CC is bad, it "fukin rawks" ;)

yes, its not what you were talking about, but didnt i say that i am joking, if i did then its obvious that i wasnt talking about you and discogs accounts/pics/sigs etc :)

430420[/snapback]

I understood you well...no worries. I knew you were joking :)

Here you go: flying rhino - singularity CD

Good luck

430416[/snapback]

Cheers mate but I have that one. I was looking for FREESTYLE Singularity. Non of the upbeat stuff on it but flying rhinos chillout stuff in the same mould as Singularity but of course down tempo. I have the other 3 singularity CDs which are all quality, except the kinetico track on 2002.

ukiro: my initial rant wasn't directed at you. So there is one person

who says so for sure ok. I try and be as honest as possible always.

I for one DO look out for rarities, often even if they have no musical

value for me personally because these items can be traded with other

people who do want them.

visine: you have been flogging this notion about collecting filling an

emotional void. You hit the nail on the head. Personally, as pathetic

as it is, I get a five second rush like a toke from a crack pipe when I

score something highly sought after. This is one possible affliction

of being human. It is essentially a sign of insecurity and it is the same

affliction which forces me to use impeccable spelling and grammar

most of the time.

taika-kim: agreed. There are a couple of organizations which probably

are able to sensibly manage donations.

PKS: nicely expressed. Off topic: your writing skills are great and I

really appreciate the reviews you have contributed to Discogs.

antic: I got the Shakta CD today. It is on Dragonfly. I will keep it aside

for you until we can work out a trade. Right now I am cleaning up

my apartment; I had a fire. (my fault)

\\n

visine: you have been flogging this notion about collecting filling an

emotional void.  You hit the nail on the head.  Personally, as pathetic

as it is, I get a five second rush like a toke from a crack pipe when I

score something highly sought after.  This is one possible affliction

of being human.  It is essentially a sign of insecurity and it is the same

affliction which forces me to use impeccable spelling and grammar

most of the time. 

\\n

430816[/snapback]

I might as well address "my section" of your reply just to make things a bit more clear for everyone.

I understand that finding that long lost treasure brings a collector an amotional high when he/she tracks it down. Some people want a fancy car, others want a nice soundsystem and they enjoy that very much..some love travelling...It's what makes us human.

Now if there is an excessive need from others to praise your (not you personally) collection or accomplishments that may be a sign of a deeper emotional issue. I don't feel like it's up to me to point my finger at such instances. It would not help those people if I did and was right about it, besides I don't want to waste my time and energy on digging through old posts.

However, there is something each and every one of us can do and that is ask yourself how important is it to me that others praise my collection? How important is it to me to tell others what my precious jewels are and then receive good feedback? Is it hard for me to resist bragging about my latest accomplishments and rubbing it into others' faces?

If the answer is "yes it's of extreme importance" then it may be a good idea to step back(again not you, not Ukiro or anyone else in particular) and dig deeper inside yourself and understand why you need such attention.

This is not meant as an insult or hostility toward anyone in particular, but if this applies to anyone reading this and that person chooses to address his/her issues and is better off in the long run my time and energy spent on writing this are justified.

I might as well address "my section" of your reply just to make things a bit more clear for everyone.

I understand that finding that long lost treasure brings a collector an amotional high when he/she tracks it down. Some people want a fancy car, others want a nice soundsystem and they enjoy that very much..some love travelling...It's what makes us human.

Now if there is an excessive need from others to praise your (not you personally) collection or accomplishments that may be a sign of a deeper emotional issue. I don't feel like it's up to me to point my finger at such instances. It would not help those people if I did and was right about it, besides I don't want to waste my time and energy on digging through old posts.

However, there is something each and every one of us can do and that is ask yourself how important is it to me that others praise my collection? How important is it to me to tell others what my precious jewels are and then receive good feedback? Is it hard for me to resist bragging about my latest accomplishments and rubbing it into others' faces?

If the answer is "yes it's of extreme importance" then it may be a good idea to step back(again not you, not Ukiro or anyone else in particular) and dig deeper inside yourself and understand why you need such attention. 

This is not meant as an insult or hostility toward anyone in particular, but if this applies to anyone reading this and that person chooses to address his/her issues and is better off in the long run my time and energy spent on writing this are justified.

430850[/snapback]

Hi visine :)

I wasn't even suggesting you were aiming your remarks at me.

I was just saying that they apply to me ;)

cheers

\\n

Hi visine :)

I wasn't even suggesting you were aiming your remarks at me.

I was just saying that they apply to me ;)

cheers

\\n

430852[/snapback]

I was just being careful I am not misunderstood..:) I'm glad you accepted my remarks so positively :) It made my effort worthwile. ...and just for the record I don't think collecting is inheritably bad...

I was just being careful I am not misunderstood..:) I'm glad you accepted my remarks so positively :) It made my effort worthwile. ...and just for the record I don't think collecting is inheritably bad...

430854[/snapback]

Me either :) It's easy to get carried away by the tide though

and forget what really matters.

\\n

I see you all guys are crazy about the Crop Circles uh! :)

i been mentioned more than once in the thread so i guess i will just sneak into and write a word or two. Regarding the crop circles material i do have all in double copy (except the cd single) one retail and one promo ep with the papers of the auracle records. I wonder how was possible that that dude paid 82 pounds for that promo ep of lunar, when i bought it for less than 12 pounds not so log ago (1 or two year). Regarding the CDSingle is vry real! i dont understand why u all seems so obsessed with it tough. As a matter of fact i tracked down another copy of that but is only one. i will probably put it on ebay as i know at least 3 people killing for having it, and that would be niobium, ukiro and e.m. All of them are trustred collectors but the extra copy is one and i can't do anything about it. I had my plas to buy the whole archive of Auracle Recordings but Tom doesn't want to deal anything. I guess he has quite some personal troubles. I am moving in other directions about it but seems all a lost effort. I will simply sell this extra copy and forget about that dude. I am in contact with all the etnica and lotus omega guys but theres no need to say they don't even have their own copies of all the stuff they released. Maybe only Max has some copies of the Auracle Cdsingle(s? probably there was FMJ too). This has long gone lost im afraid.

Speaking of other rarities well i had my good chances of finding some very rare records for very lil cash, but on other occasions i had to spend a lot

my cheapest buys were:

Hux Flux . Cryptic Crunch (10 pounds delivered, mint condition in 2004)

Dimension 5 - Transdimensional (13 eur mint in 2004)

Juno Reactor - Luciana (5 pounds, mint in 2001)

Crop Circles - Lunar CDS (9 pound mint in year 2000)

Hallucinogen - LSD CDS (1 eur mint 2004)

My most expensive boughts:

VA - Tokyo Tekno Tribe 1.5 (55 eur)

Pleiaidians - Alcyone EP (78 pounds)

KURO - Visions Of Mars (35 eur)

KURO - Revolutions (30 eur)

everything else in my collection i paid from 10 to 20 eur max.

:)

cheers everyone

ah also i forgot to add a couple of rare items i got:

Prana - Voyager 2 CDS (got it for free from a french dude)

Etnica - The EP (Brainstorm, got for free as well from andrea rizzo)

D.I.D. - The Elixir Of Life (10 eur) <- marvellous ambient almost unknown to goa collectors usually

VA - Infinity Hz (1 pound at camden town in 1999 crazy deal, mint conditions)

well these are more or less the most valuable items i have i guess

the blue moon cds costed me a lil fortune as well, forgot to mention them in the "highly paid ones" 35 eur each and one got lost in the mail (electron wave - uncertain principle bmhq edition, and i know im never going to find this original again.. i asked to a dude in thai but no chances.. buh)