Keeping the Review SpamFree?

Guest Rain

in de voice of cod thread some people had problems with the fact that seraph and I had comments about moni's review style...

isn't that ok ???

when I post a review and I do...

I like comment about the music itself off course but feedback about my reviewing style is very welcome too offcourse...

considering it was moni her first review so some feedback about her style would be welcome I guess....

they say it all has to go through pm :rolleyes: and not in public...

what do you say... a friendly post by saying good album, I like you reviewing style...

or this review is a bit too long, or this review needs more detail can't be posted in public ??????

vote & tell us !

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, everyone that read the review of Voice of Cod, knows what this is about. The argument basically that reviewing the reviewer in the review itself was wanted or not needed, or wanted.

http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=27549&hl=

I would like to have peoples opinion on this one.

Should a review contain reviews comments about the review only? Read ALL arguments made by the people in the thread please :)

*hopes this does not turn into another bashing topic, and that it will be CONSTRUCTIVE*

So, everyone that read the review of Voice of Cod, knows what this is about. The argument basically that reviewing the reviewer in the review itself was wanted or  not needed, or wanted.

http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=27549&hl=

I would like to have peoples opinion on this one.

Should a review contain reviews comments about the review only? Read ALL arguments made by the people in the thread please :)

*hopes this does not turn into another bashing topic, and that it will be CONSTRUCTIVE*

380870[/snapback]

I say comments about the release, and the review itself.

I say comments about the release, and the review itself.

380873[/snapback]

I liked one of the arguments, that if everyone would actually comment on the review itself on every review, it would actually become very annoying, and not overviewable.

Any arguments against this? :)

I don't see any problem whatsoever with a few people saying "hey, nice review!". Why the hell is that considered "spam" anyways? When somebody has put a lot of work into writing a detailed review, public compliments are a nice and deserved thing for them to receive (especially in the VoC review where it was moni's first detailed review and I think people would like to encourage her to write more). It's always been allowed on (for example) isratrance and I don't think I've once seen a review thread get eaten up by hundreds of comments about the reviews and nobody talking about the CD in question.

Do we really want to be more strictly moderated than isratrance?!?!?!??! ;)

And why are comments such as these being referred to as "spam"? Spam would be if the artist came in and posted all of their upcoming dates & releases in the review thread. Spam would be if somebody came in and started slamming the artist unnecessarily (ie, "Skazi sucks!"). Spam would be if another artist posted "check out my stuff, it sounds like this!" Somebody posting a nice public compliment to the reviewer, while perhaps not necessarily directly on the topic of the review itself, isn't something that will bring the thread off its main topic (unless somebody bitches about it, starting an argument ;) ). If anything, it will encourage people to put more effort into what they write in the future. Never underestimate the power of public backstroking.

it was moni her first review...

I have written > 50 reviews in my life but after my first review i started a topic (other forum) to get feedback you know...

writing reviews is like art... you have to learn... you create a style... your vision and you are interested what people think about that...

that's 100% normal... that's how humans are... so why can't we just be humans on this forum and give feedback to each other ?????

380888[/snapback]

actually it was her 2nd ;)

And I doubt you would have bothered to even comment on any one else review if it was not Moni.. As Trolsk said. keep the fanclub to pm's. My 2 cents.

You guys spam everywhere else in this forum so why not keep the reviews clean and about reviews? I even remember Moni agreeing onnthe point of keeping teh reviews about reviews... If you like I can always try and find that post where she agreed ;)

We are acting all insane in here. One more prohibition is certailny not going to solve the problem

What we discuss here i guess, ( because this topic was based on the VOC thread) if it is ok about give an feedback about someone else reviews.

Well... for me its perfectly ok to give reviewrs feedback. If we comment if we like or not the review of someone else, in some contributes for the topic and even the reviews section. It will made then improve or at least be aware on how his reviews are taken by the others.

A review is a source for information, and therefore i think its perfectily normal you to give a feedback for those who provide it you this information

I can see how those comments can be seen for some ppl of valid use just for the reviwer, especially if they are good feedbacks like "great review" or "good job", but being a critic’s or not, it does help for the development of the reviwer

And thats a big part of the reviews section

All of that IMO off course :)

My two cents

I have written > 50 reviews in my life but after my first review i started a topic (other forum) to get feedback you know...

writing reviews is like art... you have to learn... you create a style... your vision and you are interested what people think about that...

that's 100% normal... that's how humans are... so why can't we just be humans on this forum and give feedback to each other ?????

380888[/snapback]

I totally agree with you that she sure deserves a pad on the shoulder for a good written review, of course that is always nice. But you see that not everyone is agree with that (to review the review), and I would like to know what people think about it :)

Another point and sidenote...

Would it also be ok to mention it if someone does not find her review good? Or make more critical reviews?

I just like to know?

We are acting all insane in here. One more prohibition is certailny not going to solve the problem

What we discuss here i guess, ( because this topic was based on the VOC thread) if it is ok about give an feedback about someone else reviews.

Well... for me its perfectly ok to give reviewrs feedback. If we comment if we like or not the review of someone else, in some contributes for the topic and even the reviews section. It will made then improve or at least be aware on how his reviews are taken by the others.

A review is a source for information, and therefore i think its perfectily normal you to give a feedback for those who provide it you this information

I can see how those comments can be seen for some ppl of valid use just for the reviwer, especially if they are good feedbacks like "great review" or "good job", but being a critic’s or not, it does help for the development of the reviwer

And thats a big part of the reviews section

All of that IMO off course :)

My two cents

380891[/snapback]

As already stated, I am NOT going to prohibit anything, since its not my job to set the rules here on this board. I am not trying to enforce it either.

I saw that there was room for a discussion, and that people seem to think diffrently on the matter, I am intressted in how many actually think alike on the topic. I also wanted to take the discussion about the matter OUT of the review itself, since it was kind of disturbing it :)

I can publicly admit, that I dont like having comments on the review. I would like to see a comment system instead or something. Where you can either add comment on the review, or you can write another review on the record.... this is my vision though hehe :)

Would it also be ok to mention it if someone does not find her review good?  Or make more critical reviews? 

I just like to know?

380894[/snapback]

Thats perfectly AoK

I myself have some critcs to made about some reviews.. B)

actually it was her 2nd ;)

And I doubt you would have bothered to even comment on any one else review if it was not Moni.. As Trolsk said. keep the fanclub to pm's.  My 2 cents.

You guys spam everywhere else in this forum so why not keep the reviews clean and about reviews? I even remember Moni agreeing onnthe point of keeping teh reviews about reviews... If you like I can always try and find that post where she agreed ;)

380890[/snapback]

first of all I ask you friendly not spoil this thread

1. stop bashing off spammer I have known you as EP

2. I'm not in the moni fan club... you have a problem with moni so that's why you react that way

3. it wasn't spamming at all... spamming is uselles my post wasn't uselles...

kris you are to subjective to enter this thread... keep it to the point and don't go off topic about your personal fights between psynews users...

Would it also be ok to mention it if someone does not find her review good?  Or make more critical reviews? 

I just like to know?

380894[/snapback]

yés that is ok... I said once khetzal reviews were not ok and have written myself one... so

edit: for everybody who replies and haven't written a review in his whole life, that's a huge differnce of perspective... I consider that....

I don't see any problem whatsoever with a few people saying "hey, nice review!".  Why the hell is that considered "spam" anyways?  When somebody has put a lot of work into writing a detailed review, public compliments are a nice and deserved thing for them to receive (especially in the VoC review where it was moni's first detailed review and I think people would like to encourage her to write more).  It's always been allowed on (for example) isratrance and I don't think I've once seen a review thread get eaten up by hundreds of comments about the reviews and nobody talking about the CD in question.

Do we really want to be more strictly moderated than isratrance?!?!?!??! ;)

And why are comments such as these being referred to as "spam"?  Spam would be if the artist came in and posted all of their upcoming dates & releases in the review thread.  Spam would be if somebody came in and started slamming the artist unnecessarily (ie, "Skazi sucks!"). Spam would be if another artist posted "check out my stuff, it sounds like this!"  Somebody posting a nice public compliment to the reviewer, while perhaps not necessarily directly on the topic of the review itself, isn't something that will bring the thread off its main topic (unless somebody bitches about it, starting an argument ;) ).  If anything, it will encourage people to put more effort into what they write in the future.  Never underestimate the power of public backstroking.

380887[/snapback]

Word!

Listen to the fluffy men ppl

Never understimate the power of public bacstroking

As already stated, I am NOT going to prohibit anything, since its not my job to set the rules here on this board. I am not trying to enforce it either.

I saw that there was room for a discussion, and that people seem to think diffrently on the matter, I am intressted in how many actually think alike on the topic. I also wanted to take the discussion about the matter OUT of the review itself, since it was kind of disturbing it :)

I can publicly admit, that I dont like having comments on the review. I would like to see a comment system instead or something. Where you can either add comment on the review, or you can write another review on the record.... this is my vision though hehe :)

380896[/snapback]

ah.. Ok :)

This system comment could be great :)

Awww... *opens a beer* sunday entertainment...

first of all:

I just like to know?

380894[/snapback]

i think it would be great if more people did this, i can't speak about others, and how they would feel.., but personally criticism is welcomed ... why not :)

i think trying to maintain it on topic and discussing the review can be done in the reviews section in one message. the idea is too foster a conversation about the type of music being discussed and a review is suppossed to that, so as long as you're talking about the cd... maybe that be a reflection of a review or not is still on topic...

thats how i see it anyway...

380896[/snapback]

i agree with you and stalker i think it'd be a good idea

My take on why the reviews should be "spamfree" and only contain reviews without any comments attached to those reviews.

Comments like "nice review" etc. are rarely a problem if all agree about the music but what will happen when a "negative" review come along? Then all hell break loose and suddently a "nice review" turn into "you idiot" etc. It's seen in the old days and also recently when someone write a review other people (the majority) do not agree with.

So in my opinion it's best to keep the reviews clean and 100% free from comments.

my 2 cents

my opinion :

partly i consider reviewing of review a spam, because review is about giving some idea about how that particular record sounds to people who have never heard it before, not making them read posts with only someones judgements on someones review. it would be good if any review posted would have some little button at end of it [ie - after last post] and at front of the page that would lead us to some small sub-sub forum/thread where people could discuss about current review and give some advices to reviewer, untill something like that doesnt exist, there still will be "offtopic" posts. i think that reviews should be about music, not reviewer itself/review itself, yes u can add some lines about how you liked/disliked that review, at the end of your post[offcourse post would be about release], but not writing post about someones skills in review section, put some information that makes sense to those who want to know something more about that record, dont make it into some "blah blah i like your style, keep up the good work bruttha" spam-crap. review - its information about music, information that matters to many people, review of review is annoying spam for those who read it, ofcourse its not annoying for that person who wrote it, but its better to keep it pm, unless as long as there is no actual way how to do it within review section. yes comments on review matter alot, but they make the whole process of collecting info on release way too slow and thus annoys readers.

Edited by reger

I've already mentioned one argument against public feedback on reviews; it's only relevant too the reviewer and if everyone did the same thing all reviews would be 99% irrelevant information.

A second argument is time/history. Imagine if you enter the Voice of Cod thread six months from now, all you want is to read a review of the album, but instead you have to scroll past irrelevant information (such as praise of Monis first review). I also find it very annoying with "i'm really looking forward to this", "just ordered it", "can't wait to hear it" type of replies. Totally useless.

Immanuel Kant's categorical imperative is a great moral rule that can be applied on most situations in life. The meaning of the imperative is: "act only if your action could become universal law".

If we act according to this one rule then most irrelevant replies would disappear instantly, and the great thing is that it's only one simple rule to remember. It would make the general and reviews forums a lot more relevant. There would still be room for irrelevant chit chat in the off topic forum, but it would be limited to that forum.

review). I also find it very annoying with "i'm really looking forward to this", "just ordered it", "can't wait to hear it" type of replies. Totally useless.

380920[/snapback]

that is not what we are discussing about we are discussing the fact that we give feedback on the style of review...

and that is not what seraph and I wrote !

you are twisting your statement my friend :blink:

that is not what we are discussing about we are discussing the fact that we give feedback on the style of review...

and that is not what seraph and I wrote !

you are twisting your statement my friend  :blink:

380922[/snapback]

no, hes not, its also a part of review spam posts, just like "i like your review" posts.

no, hes not, its also a part of review spam posts, just like "i like your review" posts.

380924[/snapback]

no he posted same statement in another thread about the same subject and suddenly the stament changes...

you didn't read that... I did !

no he posted same statement in another thread about the same subject and suddenly the stament changes...

you didn't read that... I did !

380928[/snapback]

and what are you doing now? spamming again. tsk tsk..

get over it ok?

My take on why the reviews should be "spamfree" and only contain reviews without any comments attached to those reviews.

Comments like "nice review" etc. are rarely a problem if all agree about the music but what will happen when a "negative" review come along?  Then all hell break loose and suddently a "nice review" turn into "you idiot" etc.  It's seen in the old days and also recently when someone write a review other people (the majority) do not agree with.

380918[/snapback]

kriss i would like to think people here, in the majority of the cases would be able to carry a debate about their comments on relatively friendly terms.

By all means write your critical comments and reviews man, is not like you don't speak your mind up already ;)