3. Keine Nieten bei den Herbstzeitlosen

4. "Brenzlich, brenzlich" dachte der Feuersalamander

5. Die Seeadler der Müritz

6. Das Röhren der Rotwildbrunft

7. Der Tanz der blau-grünen Mosaikjungfer

8. Der Judaskuss des Sonnentaus

9. Der Zug der Kraniche: Boten der Veränderung

10. Der purpurrote Sonnenuntergang am schilfumsäumten Bergsee

This album was released on Traum Schallplatten , and as the more astute amongst you might notice, "Öh my fucking god, thats a techno label". Yes, you heard me right, i used the "T-Word", but the one that ends with "Echno", not the one ending with "Rance". If you pronounce "Rance" the german way, something like "Ranz" would be the result, and thats the german word you use to describe milk that turns sour or stale.

And just by coincidence, thats the exact same word I would use to describe 98,9% of the releases eminating from our precious little scene these days. Stale, unoriginal music, using the same old plastic kicks and the same plastic basslines bla bla, you know what i mean. And no, Im not talking only about full-on here, most prog. psy isnt any better. So what do you do when your milk turns sour? You look somewhere else, and try to find new milk. And luckily enough, i found something really cool and fresh, something that really stands out, something that ive been listening to a lot ever since i discovered it, something that brings a lot of joy and pleasure to my life, and therefore, I wanna share with it you, even though its a year old by now.

If I say Techno and you expect monotone, mindless banging a la Schranz, you are completely wrong in this case. Theres actually a lot of techno out there with lush floating sounds, atmospheres, things you would expect from Trance normally, but they are arranged and composed in a totally different way. And this album, as most of the output from Traum, is a perfect example of that. There are trippy sounds and sonic trickery everywhere, every track tells a story, its interesting, and most importantly, everything sounds so natural and organic. There is life in every single track. This feeling doesnt come fom nowhere, because Mr. Eulberg is a nature freak and biology student, and every track in this album is named after a different animal. Apparently he goes out to the woods with his sampler every week to record different nature sounds, and then he twists and tweaks them around. You can actually here the Critters here and there, and that adds a lot to the overall atmosphere.

The overall feeling I get from this album is early 90's with a serious twist, so in that sense it"s somewhat like Son Kite Colours, just a lot slower and a lot more stripped down and different. And also like Son Kite he manages to put a lot of variation into these 80 minutes, to give you an example the dance tracks range from under 120 bpm to around 135 bpm, plus there are two chill-out tracks. Enough blabla, here are the short track descriptions:

1: This could actually be some old Intact Instinct. Very, very dry offbeat bassline, and if I say dry, i mean dry, creepy atmosphere, and a very weird memorable riff that keeps creeping up. Sounds like what i imagine it would feel like when you start to come down off heroin, you know when you are not in full withdrawal, but you realize the fun is over and you need a new fix soon.. AWESOME!!!

2: The picture i get here is driving through a city really stoned at night with all the lights flashing by, there is the repeating sound of a photo camera and some weird bird chuckling sound, and then, best of all, a very scenic melody. With that I mean the melody is not touching or pretty or whatever, its a silk silhouette in the sky, the lights flashing by, hookers hanging out on the streetcorner, crackheads living in cardboard boxes, you know, the deserted downtown of a big american city at night flashing past the car window.

3. Now we are getting into analogue epic territory somewhat. Imagine standing on a hilltop overlooking the plains, kinda like in the lion king, where the little Simba is on that mountain overlooking all the animals and all his land. this track would fit that scene pefectly. plus it has a nice feisty beat and groove. maybe simba is the dj on that mountain and all the animals below are the ravers...hmmmm

4. the funkiest and bodyshakiest track for sure. its kinda like when us germans, probably the most unfunky people on the face of this earth, try to be funky. it still sounds like a military march, yet its quirky and cute in its own way, imagine oliver kahn trying to dance the funky chicken. I love it!!!!

5. Now we are getting into "pretty fluffy clouds territory". As i said before, every track here is dedicated to an animal, and this is the eagle track. its actually "the sea eagles of the muritz"and muritz is the place where the fusion festival happens every year :) anyways, very hypnotic, calming and pretty, could have been released on Eye-Q around 1993, just imagine the eagle flying over the fusion festival, looking at all the crazy ravers below, thinking "what a bunch of spastic retards, im way too cool and majestic for that pathetic assortment of assmunchers and rimjobbers"

6. my least favorite track, even though it fits its animal perfectly. its called "the mating call of the "rotwild"(a type of elk)". and thus it sounds, loud änalogue mating calls dominate, and our dear elk seems to have been succesful because in the end a little serene melody creeps in, probably signfying post-coital bliss :) GO Mr. ROTWILD!

7. OHHHHH SOOOO PRETTYYYY. Makes me just wanna cuddle and procreate. Naive atmosphere, little playful tweedly sounds, then this monumental analoguish melody, the track was made for MDMA and MDMA was made for this track, or so it seems. itys like the first time you did E, remeber how that felt, that what this tack feels like. A feel a strong urge to mix it with "Cosmic Baby-Liebe", if I could only find that goddamn vynil, its been gone ever since my last move.

8. Very slow, under 120 bpm, housy reverbs, and a nice delayed bouncy plastic melody, that gets better the more stoned you are. very nice track to end the dance part of this album.

9. As monumental as a chill track can get. Perfect for coming home after a hard night of raving, you know when your heartrate finally slows down and the Valium and muscle relaxers wrap you up in their sweet blanket of carelessness. very scenic, imagine the silhoutte of the tower on the alexanderplatz in berlin seen from the oberbaumbrucke as the sun slowly sets behind it. Im having goosebumps as i write this.

10. Another nice chill-track, not as moving as the last one, but also great, with the whole nature scenario going on, birds tweedling, insects chirping, everything. a very fitting and good ending to this album.

Well, well, my psychedelicgoahippieshantifriends, i would strongly urge you to check this release out. If you are into Psytrance for the hard-house/rave/full-on element, aka the energy and the rolling basslines, then dont even bother, you probably wouldnt like it. But if you are here for the story, the psychedelic atmospheres, the trip, the hypnotic feeling of trance in its original sense, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR??? You can download the album for 9.99 at the Kompakt MP3 Store, you need to go to the section of Traum Records. And dont be put off if it sounds weird to you at first, it is a lot different then the stuff that is released in this scene, but the feeling and the emotions are exactly what you are looking for. Im sure you will love this album as much as I do!!

hmmmm - pretty typical Cologne-ish techno these days. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's all right.

If you enjoy this, you must check out Robag Whrume and Maetrik. Also, Peter Spiess on the very good textone net label.

For this disc, it's a capable 7.5/10 from me.

hmmmm - pretty typical Cologne-ish techno these days. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's all right.

If you enjoy this, you must check out Robag Whrume and Maetrik. Also, Peter Spiess on the very good textone net label.

For this disc, it's a capable 7.5/10 from me.

378351[/snapback]

I have the Maetrik album also and a couple of Robag Wruhme 12" releases and remixes, they are very good, but i like Eulberg better. Theres something about that album that makes it stand out from the rest of the Kompakt/Cologne crowd (and also from most of Eulbergs 12" releases), I guess its the overall feeling and story and everything. Gotta try Peter Spiess, never heard of him.

about the samples, the kompakt mp3 store has samples, but they are very short. maybe try music-head.de, they have longer samples usually (50seconds).

This isn't goa!!!! Skazi does not approve.

Posted Image

:P

Anyways, great review! You don't write many, but they always give an excellent idea of the music. The album sounds great, and I'll definitely have to check it out. Traumschallplatten is definitely one of the most innovative labels out there nowadays. I'm sure I'll be kicking myself for missing Eulberg last weekend after I hear the album. ;)

I just downloaded my copy yesterday at kompakt-mp3.net and the general impression is very positive, although about two tracks give me a strange chocolate-with-mustard-like feeling. The other ones however work very very well, with "8. Der Judaskuss des Sonnentaus" as my personal favourite.

By the way, minimalistic stuff of this kind is also available free of charge on some net labels. The best one I have discovered so far is Thinnerism with more than 110 releases (including the autoplate sub label), ranging from ambient and dub to minimal techno. The nice flash animations used as album covers support the impression that the label has put quite a lot of love and devotion into its music.

• 2 weeks later...

Flora & Fauna is a very good CD (and I recommend it heartily), but there are plenty of others in the same genre as well. I am not sure it is really such an amazing release that it merits being highlighted in a trance forum.

On a more helpful note from my part - while we are mentioning Traum label, I would encourage having a listen to Brinkmann's very tasty mix CD "Tour de Traum".

I also have three of the Traum compilations: Electronishe Musik-Interkontinetal 2, 3 and 4. The last two are very nice. The #2 compilation is less strong, but still worth buying if you enjoy the style (I do).

Pedro

hey ive got a track on VA Techno 2006 from dominik, great dark tech stuff... i think i must hear this album

im glad you liked it, firebreath! im gonna check out that thinnerism site, sounds interesting. "chocolate with mustard", hehe, funny expression.

381721[/snapback]

Last Saturday, I was at a live performace of Marko Fürstenberg, one of Thinner's leading artists. Although he had some minor problems with real-time sound processing on his computer, it was still a great experience. His style is deeply hypnotic and atmospheric and could be called approximately tech-dub. In spite of the term "dub", his music is mostly very danceable, although he also has produced wonderful ambient stuff. When you go to www.thinnerism.com, check out particularly for the albums THN047 and THN078. When I have some time left, I will post a review here...

Anyway, the discovery of the Thinner netlabel gave me a revolutionary insight into what is possible with minimalistic electronic music. It was a real revelation...

Fuerstenberg is consistently solid. "T-Shape" is probably my favourite track of his. It's the one with the distorted vocal sample that I wouldn't swear, but would make a good guess, it's the "They created their own society" sample that X-Dream used way back on "they created their own happiness" (1997), which raised the bar for psy-trance back in the days, and even now never fails to give me a good shivery nostalgic grin.

Check out the realaudio and textone net labels too.

If you like it dubby, rhythm & sound releases are must-haves. Deadbeat's 'wild life documentaries' release (2003, ~scape) is also very good. Obviously, old basic channel releases are compulsory for your collection. They are pure.

Last Saturday, I was at a live performace of Marko Fürstenberg, one of Thinner's leading artists. Although he had some minor problems with real-time sound processing on his computer, it was still a great experience. His style is deeply hypnotic and atmospheric and could be called approximately tech-dub. In spite of the term "dub", his music is mostly very danceable, although he also has produced wonderful ambient stuff. When you go to www.thinnerism.com, check out particularly for the albums THN047 and THN078. When I have some time left, I will post a review here...

Anyway, the discovery of the Thinner netlabel gave me a revolutionary insight into what is possible with minimalistic electronic music. It was a real revelation...

397663[/snapback]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Good album, but I think I would rather see a chillout album by the man. The tracktitles and artwork are hilarious, even though I suspect he means it seriously... discogs at least claims he's a biologist and was inspired by nature while making this cd. Anyhoo, I like it. Some of it sounds like more of the same to me and not of all it is totally my taste, but this is definitely a cool album. Click-house, microhop, whatever you wanna call it, this is original stuff.

And track 9 is just amazing, very nice! :)