Voice Of Cod - We Are Free

DeathPosture

Voice Of Cod – We Are Free

Posted Image

Artist: Voice Of Cod (UK)

Title: We Are Free

Format: CD (jewel case w/DJ case insert)

Label: Organic Records (UK)

Cat. #: ORGCD011

Distribution: Arabesque

Date: 26 September 2005

Track listing:

01. 09’53” Bubbles Of Nothing

02. 08’34” The Unknowns

03. 08’07” The Art Of Funk Shui

04. 10’15” Go Downtown

05. 09’06” Misinfotainment

06. 09’49” Bakelite Satellite

07. 07’54” Slysis Me

08. 07’23” It’s Just A Ride (Zuloop Rmx)

09. 08’57” Heart Of Gold

Review:

Cod almighty!

Organic Records strikes gold again! This time it’s the most anticipated and heavily hyped debut album by the dynamic duo Voice Of Cod from the UK… These guys shouldn’t need any further introduction, but oh what the hell, here I go anyway… Colin Bennun has been in the game longer than Goa Gil – his credentials include membership in famous acts like O.O.O.D., Unconscious Collective, Benefactor and Rotatum… To put it short, he’s a big shot! The other half is Mr. Andrew Humphries – Organic Records big cheese: A&R and DJ… We’re dealing with trance royalty here!

These guys hooked up in 2003 and since then they’ve graced us with a number of kick-ass tracks released mainly on UK labels… Every time I’ve reviewed a compilation with a VoC choon on it – it has been a stand-out track… So the level of quality consistency is really high with these guys – and I’ve been eagerly awaiting this album ever since it was announced… It’s hitting the stores a couple of weeks from now – let me give you the low-down on what to expect…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: Bubbles Of Nothing

“Music is a great language that uses notes in a particular order to make the melodies we all love!” We lift off with a funky little number… Posford’esque cross-over intro with all kinds of earthly and extraterrestrial FX… Trumpets, cut-up voice samples and old-fashioned tweaking to the max… Garnish that with a bunch of digital farts and electronic burps and you’ve got one hell of a powerful, uplifting full-on track… Multilayered, wholesome, smile-cracking, groovy, melodic psy-trance… I can’t even begin to count the layers here – it’s so frekkin’ complex, but still so damn trance-inducing… A full-blown party-choon – and the best possible way to kick the album into gear… Sweet, sweet track!

#02: The Unknowns

“The message is: There are things we know that we know. The message is: There are things we don’t know!"The message is that there are known knowns. There are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns; that is to say, there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things that we do not know we don't know. And each year we discover a few more of those unknown unknowns!” And here’s the infamous track – with the infamous, mind-boggling quote listed above… This track has a digital-tribal feel to it… Über-smooth and trippy as hell… We get melodies en mas here – reminds me of older Cosmosis at times, but still with a very 2005-freshness to it… A special mention goes to the drum-programming in this track - Even Boris Blenn couldn’t have done that better… Guaranteed to cause havoc on any trance-floor! Stellar track!

#03: The Art Of Funk Shui

“The art of funk shui is getting your groove in line with the groove of the universe. When your groove and the world’s groove are in line, anything is possible!” Get ready for the monkey track! As the title hints, this is another funky number ~ Subtle at first, but soon evolves into a massive, banging, psychedelic steam-engine… Twirling acid-lines, neo-hippie samples, monkey-business, old-fashioned melodies and general psychedelia all over the place… Another great cook-up by the Codsters… And there’s enough to go around for everyone… Tasty track!

#04: Go Downtown

Party’s getting started – time to head downtown… The liquid intro is froggin’ cool and the bassline is relentless… Check out the lengthy, yet cool voice-samples which fit the banging music like a glove… Full-on dancefloor fodder – crispier than a zillion biscuits… Melodic at heart, but with enough twists and turns to satisfy an elderly grumpy acid-freak as myself… Aciiiiiiiiid! Yeah – this must be the Cods tribute to the GNOTR… Stellar track!

#05: Misinfotainment

Half-way through the album and its misinfotainment time… The intro is minimal and old-school at first, but soon more and more layers and FX are revealed… And before you know it, we’re in full effect… A big old bouncy motherfucker of a track – bursting with energy and that ever sought-after quality that makes you climb the walls… A sort of darkish, paranoiac sensation that’s hard to describe, but fuck me if it doesn’t works on the dancefloor… Don’t get me wrong here, this is not darkpsy and the Codz are not dancing with the devil – this is just murkier than the rest… Quality underground trance to be played during the darker hours of the night… Listen to those high-pitched, stabbing acid-sounds and you’ll understand what I mean… The naïve voice-mutterings strike a hard contrast – and thereby creating a new, unique sound… I love it! Brilliant track!

#06: Bakelite Satellite

Orbital polyoxybenzylmethylenglycolanhydride! Guitar-driven intro – but not in the cheddar-like Skazi-fashion… A lot more work and consideration has gone into this… Another full-blow, propane injected dance-floor stomper… Again we’re in the darker realms – the pace has quickened and the stabs are lethal… Creating a monumental track of epic proportions… Seriously, this is the kind of stuff that DJ drops when they want to absolutely tear the place apart – just listen to the national anthem being shredded to pieces by a mean-ass guitar… Funny shit! Also the acid-ridden build-up & climax rubs me just the right way… A true corker if there ever was one!

#07: Slysis Me

The magnificent journey continues in the same breath-taking tempo – but we’re heading for more uplifting, melodic trance now… Allegedly! This music is not easily categorized… It’s no-questions-asked, multilayered, relentless, humorous psytrance – constantly changing direction and shifting pace… Satisfying to say the least and definitely trippy… A big phat wall of psychedelia – beautifully executed by the Codders… Will works wonders on any dancefloor – and at the moment it’s also stirring quite a riot in my living room… Another fav’e!

#08: It’s Just A Ride (Zuloop Rmx)

“The world is like a ride in an amusement park. And when you choose to go on it you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round. It has thrills and chills and it's very brightly coloured and it's very loud and its fun, for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time and they begin to question: ‘Is this real, or is this just a ride?’ And other people have remembered, and they come back to us, they say, ‘Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride’.” We open with a Bill Hicks quote – the psytrancers fav’e comedian! Zuloop is the new name for Andrew's solo project – which was formerly Mr. Biscuit. This remix was produced in his London studio and mixed in the Bristol Stooodio along with the rest of the album… We’re now back to melodic, uplifting, Codster trance – beautiful in all its epic glory – and super funky with all its suave pads… This is a close as these guys will ever come to progressive trance – without ever really crossing over… Pure analogue morning trance… A very sexy, mature track! Sweet!

#09: Heart Of Gold

Sadly all good things must come to an end… We start off with a bizarre hentai-geisha quote – which is soon brutally cut off by a funky rhythm section… This is more uplifting, highly unique Cod-trance which will fit perfectly in any morning set… Joyous, happy, smiling trance – very melodic and very soothing… A great little track and the perfect way to end a truly amazing album!

There is no doubt in my mind – this is the best album I’ve heard so far in 2005! And I’ve heard quite a few – including the Shpongle album! There’s not a single dull second here – high quality all the way through! In the words of the green nun Dick Trevor; ‘Fuckin’ aay! Awesome!’… That’s right; this is the shiznitz – an essential album for any trancer! People have bashed the cover-art, but I really like it in all its simplicity… Bow wow wow!

Everything reeks quality here – and we can thank the Codsters for that… They kept the VoC quality control inspector happy by keeping as much work as possible in-house: Andrew did the website; the album was mastered in the Stooodio by Colin and the artwork was also designed in the Stooodio by Colin along with the promotional flyers, stickers and magazine adverts…. And the effort has paid off – this is simply an amazing package! Enough babbling from me now… This is an instant classic! Start saving up – this album is released on 26 September and it’s essential for any fan of electronic music! Enjoy!

Favourites: 1(!), 2, 3, 4(!), 5, 6(!), 7, 8, 9 ← That’s all of ‘em!

DeathPosture

Posted Image

External links:

Voice Of Cod: http://www.voiceofcod.com

Organic Records: http://www.organicrecords.dsl.pipex.com

Triskele Management: http://www.triskelemanagement.com

The Unknowns video: http://tinyurl.com/8mwnh

Saiko Sounds: http://tinyurl.com/9u3m6

Beatspace: http://tinyurl.com/bp6n5

Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/aq9z7

Wakyo: http://tinyurl.com/9p7lu

Chaos: http://tinyurl.com/dtdkr

+ More online stores shortly…

Funky, fun, and totally nothing groundbreaking. It sure can get catchy though. If you like this, I would check out the Y4K - Hybrid Presents comp, similar to this in that it also sucessfully fuses what appears to be multiple types of dance/electronica, including trance, breakbeats, and techno, into one well done continous mix for the dance floor; listening pleasure. This may be more psychedelic though. Not really sure which one is better, but Y4K does have some very well done songs for sure too!, and Y4K also includes the much talked about (and questioned who made it) famous psytrance song from the MAN ON FIRE movie in 2004. That song sample and all others I think are on amazon.co.uk or at the link below...

www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002IQJ50/qid=1126398400/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl/026-0800942-1238844

Funky, fun, and totally nothing groundbreaking. It sure can get catchy though. If you like this, I would check out the Y4K - Hybrid Presents comp, similar to this in that it also sucessfully fuses what appears to be multiple types of dance/electronica, including trance, breakbeats, and techno, into one well done continous mix for the dance floor; listening pleasure. This may be more psychedelic though. Not really sure which one is better, but Y4K does have some very well done songs for sure too!, and Y4K also includes the much talked about (and questioned who made it) famous psytrance song from the MAN ON FIRE movie in 2004. That song sample and all others I think are on amazon.co.uk or at the link below...

www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002IQJ50/qid=1126398400/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl/026-0800942-1238844

333864[/snapback]

WTF are you talking about?! Are you sure you're reffering to Voice of Cod album, because it will be released in three weeks and I doubt it you've got the promo :) Also I can't see the GMS's track on the CD you posted a link to.

What it's all about then?

WTF are you talking about?! Are you sure you're reffering to Voice of Cod album, because it will be released in three weeks and I doubt it you've got the promo smile.gif Also I can't see the GMS's track on the CD you posted a link to.

What it's all about then?

333901[/snapback]

Did you misunderstand my post? No, I don't have a promo. I never said that. I heard the samples like most people for Voice of Cod - We Are Free at saikosounds. I said that Voice of Cod reminded me of a completely different album called Y4K in the sense Y4K is also an album that successfully mixes multiple types of electronica, especially what appears to be trance, techno, breaks, etc.

I posted the link so anyone who may like this concept in style (fusing multiple electronica sub-genres) may also find some pleasure in listening to Y4K, which, like the samples I heard on VOC, appears to be mixed continuously, MEANING no silence between tracks to avoid a pause on dance floors. I'm not certain but that seems to be the style here when I hear the end of one sample and beginning of the next. We'll see for sure it's released.

And 100% seperate from this Voice of Cod album, the GMS track (called Juice I think) in the kickass movie Man on Fire, seems to have been MIXED on the Y4K album by whoever this Hybrid artist is. I posted the link to backup my opinion that this album and the other sound similar and good in HOW they mix multiple types of electronica.

Jon - it's Voice of Cod, by the way, as in the fish. We considered Voice of God when we were deciding on the name but thought it would be a little presumptuous.

And DeathPosture - thanks a million million for such an awesome review!

• 2 weeks later...

guys, can you cut the chit-chat here and just post REVIEWS?

there is only 1 real review here, DP's.

Here's a couple more:

Voice Of Cod

We Are Free

Organic (UK)

UK duo Voice Of Cod made serious waves with their We Are Free track in 2003. “That Drop” was talked about in hushed tones and caned at loud volumes, and while this album’s been a long time coming it certainly doesn’t disappoint. Bubbles Of Nothing kicks off, and instantly you remember why those early tracks got you so excited. The kick is smooth and chunky, less cumbersome than the bottomend on a lot of standard fullon. Here as elsewhere on the album, there’s a lot of yummy phasing on the sounds: they pan all round the room and beg you to crank the volume up. And, in true Cod style, the drop is breathtaking – from a clear, shining breakdown it plunges into the motherlode, an awesome riff that’s simultaneously clear and kicking, driving and smooth. The Unknowns hooks a Donald Rumsfeld sample and builds up a squelchy, spacious orb of sound around it. Once again the panning and filtering is top-notch; most noticeable in the breakdown, where a clean high-end synth is anally raped by a kicking, angry riff before dropping into pure London psychedelic goodness. The Art Of Funk Shui is one I’ve played so many times it’s like an old friend – but remastered here it sounds even more (cue bad kungfu pun) “punchy”. The lazy pitchbends drive it along, amid more comedy soundbites than the Montreal Just For Laughs festival... and THAT trouser-tightening melody that runs into the breakdown never fails to get the hairs on the back of the neck standing up. Go Downtown eases the foot off the gas a little, and takes its time to build itself up into a very wobbly, very m.d.m.essy trooper, which at +5 sounds like it could be released on a Parvati compilation. Misinfotainment sounds a little like a cleaner Cosmosis, with a great upward progression running up to a break that gives way to an unbelievable run. It’s magnetic – just… gah!! It sucks you in, it’s clean and it’s got that ‘plateau’ feel to it that’s so rare in psytrance these days. Bakelite Satellite is a cheeky one as well, more in keeping with the Voice Of Cod sound from previous compilation tracks that you’ll know. The mini-collapse into Star Spangled Banner, followed by a GW Bush sample, certainly gets the dancefloor giggling, and the electro-ey slowdown sound of the main break is smashing stuff. We’re talking silky-smoochy dancing here people, before it’s powerup time again and the launchpad flings you out into the chunkyverse: great samples, great acid, great stomping power. Fark. Slysis Me has a lumbering, pissed-dinosaur feel to it. Languid groove meets plinky percussion and holds the attention well, and the final riff is as big as the tits on a trucker’s wife. Just A Ride gets a remix here from Zuloop, and if you thought that Voice Of Cod’s high-watermark couldn’t get any higher, then think again. All the best bits of the original have been preserved and tweaked, but in such a way that when it’s mixed in, people will recognise it in phases. Additional topend melodies are spot on, and it just… well, you know what the original did. This one does it better. Finally, Heart Of Gold (again, nothing to do with Neil Young, dad) gets the cremaster muscle on overdrive once again, a great fusion of shitkicking at the bottom and fluid-melodic at the top. Which kind of sums this album up really – on the strength of this, they deserve to be promoted from the Championship to the Premier League. The sound may not be instantly accessible to those dancefloors hooked on music made by Israeli teenagers, but the depth and variety (not to mention the comedy) means this deserves to do rather well.

Top Tune

Voice of cod                We are alive                                Organic records

For me this sits proudly as one of my featured tunes of the month. An album full of the finest music this year.  Combining the thumping elements of Psy Trance with the deeper tones of Progressive are a winning combination. They have created their own unique sound. Bloody awesome!!!  (5/5)

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

Billion ? :P

I can hardly wait to get my paws onto this release !  :D

335656[/snapback]

Well, techincally a million million, isnt a billion. a thousand million is. a million, million is a trillion.

And i have heard samples of this album. top quality stuff. not as chilled as i had hoped, but still technically and musically outstanding. better than 95% of the other stuff out there.

Finally received it today!

Heard it only one time so far, but my first thoughts are:

PROS:

- melodic in a very specific way and full of twisted acid lines (!)

- very different from standard full-on, sometimes reminiscent of Cosmosis (if you knew me you'd know that it's a big plus),

- very consistent - all tracks sound similar, however it's good when you look at it considering the point above,

- very well produced,

- great packaging

- it's mixed (I like mixed albums)

CONS:

- I liked the original "It's just a ride" better :(

I will post the more detailed rewiev in few days...

finally got it today :D ....

will listen to it and have more comment in this post :)

EDIT:

I listened to it once and I'm not sure... it is indeed more original then regular fullon but it's like not my style... or not what I'm looking for...

this is an album that I have to listen some more to actually have a statement of what it's like...

I'll edit more :D

EDIT 2

What do I like about them... It's smooth, and subtile... it's not that super crazy fullon, is it fullon ??? I don't know... I'm not that kind of explosive climax fullon guy but more like into surfing on waves on psychedelic sounds and that is what voice of god is offering me here big time.... very good.... it's not overhyped, it's not too much, just great for satisfaction... it's a bit funky... must say I don't find they created their own sound, nothing new I hear.... but still very enjoyable to listen at home...

EDIT 3

this is cd get's better and better every time I listen to it... I like it very much... great concept... it has to grow on you ;)

Fresh album. Funky, great use of humour and with a very high level of production. My favourite track must be "Misinfotainment" with the phat, groovy bassline, but also "The Unknowns", "The Art Of Funk Shui" and the uplifting Zuloop remix of "It's Just A Ride" stand out.

... I do think the release is a bit too hyped up though - it's classy stuff, don't get me wrong, but it's by no means groundbreaking or a competitor for "album of the year" in my book. But it is of course a matter of taste. The cover-art was a special touch by the way, don't know how much I like it, but it's certainly not the standard fractal or random-3d-shapes cover - and thumbs up for the DJ-inlay as well.

Good album, and I can imagine it'll be great on a huge soundsystem.

• 4 weeks later...

My Review ..

Voice Of Cod is a UK project made of Colin (OOOD, Unconscious Collective, Benefactor) and Andrew (Mr. Biscuit, Organic A&R/DJ). They have been "in the bussiness" for years.

I can say that i am not at all surprised that this release is a success.

I was kinda expecting it to be good, especially after listening to VA - Invasion From Hyperspace (contains tracks produced by O.O.O.D., Benefactor, Voice Of Cod).

Well, i have to say that these 2 guys made some good dance-floor psytrance music, by having as support a strong background and knowledge in music, sounds, lines, any why not, geometry. They were surely knowing what they were doing here, cause this album has no mistakes. I liked it from the first listen, and it grew on me every time i played it, so i decided to write a review.

So the journey to the land of freedom begins ..

1. Bubbles Of Nothing

The album begins, or should i say explodes, with my favourite track. Very good way to start! Both sensitive and daring melodic lines, very powerful bass line and kicks, so many layers and yet there is no confusion, the sound is crystal clear.

Every little layer fits in perfectly. This track holds inside a lot of energy, the dance floor will be packed on this one. I'm glad they chose this track to open the album, because this is their sound, this is the general mood they wanna install and they succeed .. energy and excitement is what i get from it!

"Music is a great language" .. true, so true .. they surely showed us in this track.

2. The Unknowns

"The message is we know, we don't know". Hehe, to me, this is funny. Word games are entertaining, i will never get tired of listening to this mad man explaining me about The Unknowns. This track is just phat.

We have here the same energy level from the first track, dance-floor exciting, clean psychedelia, and some phat darkish sounds that go well together with sensitive melodic lines.

There is one layer here that contains drums! The effect is positive, they add value to this track. I'm sure it wasn't easy to insert them so that they don't spoil anything in there. The fine sounds of drums fit here like a glove, i wouldn't have had this track without them.

3. The Art Of Funk Shui

Hu! Ya! Hu! Hu! Ya! Hu! Ya! And so on!

First time i heard this track i said "what the hell, this track begins weird". And then i laughed:

"The art of funk shui is getting your groove in line with the groove of the universe. When your groove and the world’s groove are in line, anything is possible!”

Wow this track is making me smile every time i hear it. It gets my groove on indeed. Right after the voice telling you that anything is possible, our boys prove it, cause a twisted psychedelic part follows, then another voice sample comes and the track suddenly changes to some uplifting phat melodic lines. Then a break and build-up which create a nice suspense and then soon this track reaches its mad climax, and totally changes your mood from good to better. Yep, anything is possible, i for one am convinced. I can see myself dancing like crazy on this one.

Surely we hear again "Hu! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Hu! Ya! Hu! Ya!" in the end, the track couldn't have ended any other way! :)

4. Go Downtown

Yep, this track is going down indeed, to darker levels. I call this track the "suspense" track of the album. Melodic and psychedelic, layers coming and going, and coming back, same powerful kicks that define the whole album, and crystal clear sound. All through the track i have the feeling that i'm watching a movie and something is about to happen. I like it when a track is dark but crystal clear .. it allows your brain to read the track in its own way, instead of taking control by scratching, streching, and pushing your brain to the limit.

5. Misinfontainment

This is the playful track of the album and i'd like to think that the boys experimented a little in this one. It's a groovy track that joggles with both psytrance and progressive trance. If you take some layers from this track and put them on a proggy bass line, you will obtain a great progressive trance track. Hehe, or maybe more than 1 track, they got enough material here for at least 2 proggy trance tracks.

The voice sample that comes in the break is a little weird when you first hear it, but then it just adds more groove to the track.

6. Bakelite Satelite

The track starts with a trippy quitar, stops, a manly sexi-shy voice enters and says (almost whispering) "Don't Stop", and the track goes on. Hehe, this trick is a teaser and it works everytime, it works in any music genre, so it works in psy too! All the track is somehow trippy, it contains goatrance/oldschool layers.

At the middle of the track a break pops in, they stop the track again, say "Don't Stop" .. a fine melodic build-up follows, a couple of seconds of scratching (cool!) and a trippy melody kicks in and builds up to the mad climax of the track .. really nice!

Oh what a teaser! But who doesn't like to be teased :D

7. Slysis Me

Three times phat .. all the way. This is the slicey track of the album. Powerful kicks, many layers and very psychedelic, followed by a full change to a funky, phat melody. This tune drives me crazy, cause then an even more phat part follows.

This track takes you from level 1 to level 3, so it's made of slices. What a trip! You are only allowed to breath during the voice samples hahaha :)

8. Just A Ride (Zuloop Rmx)

Ok this is a serious, heavy track. The boys really ment bussiness here. I didn't listen to the original track, so i just have my review on the remixed version of it.

I don't think making this track took them a short time. It's so complex, it takes you up and down, it's loaded with emotions. Many layers, many states of mind and soul: melodic, psychedelic, trippy, uplifting, powerful, sensitive, cold, warm, natural.

Also this track borders here and there with progressive trance.

I would love to hear this track outdoors, in the nature, when the night starts to turn into day and the sky is nicely coloured.

9. Heart Of Gold

Oh, no… we have reached the end. A very nice morning trance tune, perfect for the closure of the album. I am glad they chose it to close the album.

It doesn't matter that the journey is about to finish, the track keeps the energetic level up, a sign that these guys have not yet spoken their last word. Again i hear goatrance/oldschool layers.

It's a great dance floor track as well, but after the great journey i had, i just feel like laying in the grass, close my eyes, listen to it, and absorb it till the last drop.

I am now free, We are free.

The style is pure dance-floor psytrance ... very melodic, full power, twisted, wicked, uplifting and i might also add that here and there it comes close to the limit between psytrance and progressive trance. I say any dj who wants to combine psytrance and progressive trance in his/her mix is invited to try and use Voice Of Cod tracks for a challenge.

Colin and Andrew offered us here a generous dancing material, a very good production, all tracks are very well done, very complex, the sound is really good and clear and highly accessible. The CD is also good for home listening, but be careful, it will get your groove on! hehe :)

I would like to mention also their website .. really nice, i like it a lot.

And the art work for their release. This CD has maybe the most original and the "cutest" cover of the year.

I have to say that "We Are Free" fits my musical taste in all the little corners, i hope it will be a good choice for all those who read my review, cause i recommend it.

I believe Colin and Andrew worked hard for this album, but i bet they also had fun while producing it.

I like all the tracks on this release. Thank you Voice Of Cod, keep the good music flowing. :)

Well, after Moni's review there isn't really much to add here. The album's great, definitely one of the best this year IMO.

One thing I have to mention though, is the difference in perception of this music. DP said that for him Misinfotainment is "dark and murky", Moni said that "the voice sample that comes in the break is a little weird", but for me this is one of the most hillarious tracks in the album! As I understand, the main theme of it are the stupid TV-shop commercial where beautiful men and women are working their muscles in the gym (samples: "It's more than just a workout, it's the way of life, it's the best system that I've seen") and miracle beauty-care products (sample: , "Look, the Insta-cover transforms your skin before your eyes!" or "Look as this woman's birthmark vanishes in just seconds! zziiuuu!, ziiuuu!, zziiuuu!").

What makes me laugh there is the acted enthusiasms of those commercials and doubtful effectiveness of advertised products. Those commercials simply tell lies or at least not the whole truth, hence the track's name - Misinfotainment :D

Apart from that, I love the sounds the used in this tracks - the pumping, totally not full-onish bassline (chceck the suspended / accented note in every second bar - genius is in simplicity!), syncopated drum-line and really crazy screechy synth line in the middle. One of the best tracks here!

Just got the record today. Im not going to write a review though....

I think it sounds good, and the production is very tight. Not my favourite release this year (well, im more into tech trance than fullon/psy).

Sorry Colin in advance!! But the cover is the most hideous thing Ive seen so far as a cover for a record (atleast this year). I just had to get that of my chest. (Ohhhh now im gonna get sooooo flamed hehehe)

Holy fucking shit, this CD rocks the casbah! When I complain about 99.9% of modern psytrance lacking creativity and having no soul, this CD is that 0.1% that I am not talking about. This is exactly where I would have loved to have seen goa/psy go had it not been sidetracked by the full-on virus. It's swirly, melodic, layered, playful - everything that turned me onto this music in the first place (and mostly disappeared a few years back).

And the basslines....THE BASSLINES! These guys know how to pile energy and funk into the low end like nobody else. These basslines are actually active and energetic, unlike the rolling or chainsaw variety you hear in most other stuff out there nowadays.

Needless to say, I'm impressed. :D

PS - nice review moni! :)

Just got the record today. Im not going to write a review though....

I think it sounds good, and the production is very tight. Not my favourite release this year (well, im more into tech trance than fullon/psy).

Sorry Colin in advance!! But the cover is the most hideous thing Ive seen so far as a cover for a record (atleast this year). I just had to get that of my chest. (Ohhhh now im gonna get sooooo flamed hehehe)

380515[/snapback]

No worries Tekk, I know it's impossible to please everybody all the time with all aspects of a project. The fact that so many people like the album at all is not something I feel able to take for granted at all even now, and I really don't find it upsetting or even surprising that there are elements of it that don't suit all tastes. However, as far as I can tell - and as you've already made it clear with your reference to flaming - you're kind of in a minority, at least as far as online reviews goes! :P I am expecting your post to be the first in a series of uncomplementary reviews though, as I think it's possible that people who don't like the album might be intimidated by the amount of positive opinions, and your post might be the catalyst that makes them realise it's ok to have a different opinion on it!. Thanks for your honesty.

After first listen I thought this is quite good album, nothing really special. After listening to it more I found that the beginning is very good and the middle part is ok and ending is very good too :) Not the best, but not the worst either :P

Sorry for the semi-positive "review" :D

Some time ago i swore to myself i would never listen to another full-on record in my entire life, not buy one, not download one, just ignore this god-forsaken genre until Satan calls me to continue my evil deeds in eternal hellfire. But, after reading review after review from people i respect telling me this is not your typical full-on release, its actually psychedelic n'shit, i took the bold step to download it, maybe all these people are right, who knows?

But, what were you people smoking??? Fluffy, especially you? This Album makes me makes me soooo god-damn aggravated!!! AHHHHH! SERENITY NOW!!! After listening to this record all-day I feel my head is gonna explode. And i dont mean that as a compliment. Im not a full-on connoisseur, but i dont see how this is the "quantum leap" from all the other full-on stuff out there. Granted, its not cheesy and it doesnt have those epic breakdowns followed by drumroll and KAWOOM, you know what I mean. And, also granted, this sounds like a shitload of work went into it, very detailed, tight production, but i just dont like it at all.

Now, unlike most haters and dissers, i hereby officially present you my reasons:

1.) The Bassline and overall Groove: I hate it when fast Psytrance tries to be funky. Funk doesnt work at 145 bpm. Im german, I like marching music, because, after all, marching in is still what we do best. Just ask the polish and french people. If it wasnt for that god-damn channel we would have marched into britain as well,and im sure VOC would have used a straighter bassline and beat. Just like they used to say: "Am deutschen Wesen soll die Welt genesen!" Anyways, I digress, that always happens when I think of the good old times. Maybe that why I have a problem with that "fast-psy-funk", Im just getting too fucking old, at 25 my nutsack is already as wrinkled as the late Walter Matthaus face. The whole groove and bassline is also the reason this album aggravates me so much, its just too fast, in other words there is too much movement stuffed into too little time, i like my music too leave me a little headspace.

2. The Sound Selection: The sounds here, with that I mean synths and samples, are very generic psytrance sounding. Ive heard them millions and millions times before. The other day, in one of my more philosophic moments, I was wondering how many single beats I have heard in my over ten years of rave/goa listening, djing and partying. It must be a gazillion beats. The same goes for the sounds used here. I have heard them a gazillion times, there is really nothing new to keep me interested. Also the sounds are arranged in a way that add to the annoying "fast-psy-funk" feeling I described earlier. (btw, and this has nothing to do with this album, in that same"thinking session" i also wondered how big a pile of shit i have produced in my life, im sure you could drown an elephant in it. sometimes i think im a far decendant of socrates...)

3. Diversity: Listening to the whole album, I thought I was listening to one single track. I couldnt really tell any difference at all. So in that sense it is like a DJ-set from your average Full-On DJ, just one loooooooooong thing without arc or story. I like my albums to vary in BPM and to explore different territories, unfortunately I cannot find that here. Also the sounds dont change much at all from track to track. It reminds me of the way modern cars are produced. All big companies create plattforms, on which they build different models. For example the Porsche Cayenne and the VW Toureg use the same plattform, just the engine and the chassis are a little different. THats the same feeling I get with this album. There is a plattform thats very well thought out and crafted, change it around a little bit and Voila: An album with 9 different tracks! The only track that stands out somewhat is the just a ride remix.

4. Percussion: One word: Boring ( not that Psytrance was ever known for killaarrghh percussion, but still.....)

Ok, there you have it. You might argue that I havent listened to it enough to see the difference between the tracks and to understand the subtleties, but if I listen to this record one more time, MY HEAD WILL EXPLOOOOOOOODE!!! But still, like I said earlier, I do acknowledge that this album is extremely well produced, its just that after reading all these reviews fom people that more or less share my taste in music, i expected something else. I was kinda expecting the reinvention of the fast psychdelic trance genre, something new and exciting with innovative ideas everywhere. Unfortunately, what I found was pretty average, so in a way, the points i have listed above dont only relate to this album, but to the full-on genre in general, because I dont think this album stands out from the crowd at all.

So Im glad that i downloaded it first and didnt buy it, that would have been a major disappointment. If you dont like Full-on, dont be fooled by the raving reviews above, you wont like it (except fluffy :P ), it will annoy the shit out of you. If full-on is your thing, get it, because it is not bad music as such, its just not my cup of tea.

* deletes VOC from harddrive*

It's all in the funk, methinks.

One of the main things I like about VoC is the element of funk in the music - especially in the low-end (which does seem to be the thing that bugs you about it the most). You forget, the first time we met, I was playing a rather funky set of breaks, so I gravitate more towards that general feel in tunes, whether it be funky 128bpm deep/tech-house or jumping 145bpm psychedelic trance.

BTW, nice metaphors in the review. :)

"Im just getting too fucking old, at 25 my nutsack is already as wrinkled as the late Walter Matthaus face. " :lol:

I may have to get you to write my obituary if I die an untimely death. ;)

• 3 weeks later...