What's everyone's views on Downloading?

Dj-Emotion

And dont tell me mp3s and downloading has anything to do with this.

327756[/snapback]

:lol:

hum

we had threads like this in the past. i should go search them to see how people felt about dlding a couple of years ago. as i remember they were pretty much "against" ...

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Massive downloading began in 2001(Audiogalaxy).The scene had already changed since 1999.You should look elsewhere for reasons.

327762[/snapback]

so true, you have a point :)

Im not blaming only the mp3... im blaming the factor "money" .

Look...if an excelent artist release a cd with his own style of music, and the cd don´t sell, next time he will produce a more "pop" one in order to get more feedback in the sales. With people downloading every single cd, they have to start making more "pop" trance in order to spread the music into a larger scale and get some money into the pocket.

Afcourse there´s many artists that don´t do it for the money...maybe only a few nowadays.

I cannot at all get the logic in that the artists would make less commercial music if people bought more music.

It might make sense if you think that most successful trance producers is happy with the average salary they can get out of producing.

Also if they are actually making a living out of it they might be very concerned with trying to keep doing that.

Most people have a little bit of greed and need for security.

The more business that is involved the more commercial it gets.

Just look what bands in this scene that really turned into making obviously commercial stuff....it's usually the few that actually did manage to make a living out of it to start with.

It comes down to that it's a whole lot easier to do exactly what you want if that means that you get $0 instead of $0.

If it could mean that you get $10 000 instead of $50 000 it might easily affect your creativity and what path you choose, hence many start adopting to the market when the get some releases and turn commercial.

And if there is money involved you get managers, PR people etc involved, which will put pressure on you to do what you have to do in any other business...adapt to the demands of the market.

So...the more you buy the more commercial the scene gets for sure.

Sure, invest in the scene to help fuel it, but don't pour the money into the hands of a few shops, distributors and labels.

Throw a free party sometimes, make chai and give to people for free or buy fire juggling equipment and put on a show.

Or send some money to the artists with paypal.

Buying a CD is not giving many cents back to the scene and is really a crap way to try to contribute.

wow haven't checked this thread for a couple days and I was surprised to see 6 pages worth! :lol:

Well I have some old downloaded stuff, but i do buy my own share of stuff. Which i then burn to play the copies at parties/raves. That way if they get scratched i can make another copy.

Keep this topic going....i can see a lot of people are as interested in this as i am. :)

And if there is money involved you get managers, PR people etc involved, which will put pressure on you to do what you have to do in any other business...adapt to the demands of the market.

So...the more you buy the more commercial the scene gets for sure.

Sure, invest in the scene to help fuel it, but don't pour the money into the hands of a few shops, distributors and labels.

Throw a free party sometimes, make chai and give to people for free or buy fire juggling equipment and put on a show.

Or send some money to the artists with paypal.

Buying a CD is not giving many cents back to the scene and is really a crap way to try to contribute.

That's the spirit ;)B)

Hmmm...

I used to download much (well, "much" ... 28 psy albums over about 4 years isn't that much actually, but there was more, many single tunes and many other genres!) in the past. Well, "past" ... actually it was until about four months ago. There I deleted six gigs of music without intention because a deinstallation proggie deleted the folder. Tried to get it back with such a recover proggie, but the mp3s turned out to be cut to pieces of different mp3s within themselves, bleh, can't describe it, they were damaged.

That was the first time I realized how easily this stuff faints. I mean, I had all the good stuff on back copies on MD and shit, not a big problem after all ... and at first I downloaded very excessively, because I wanted to get the six gigs back, but I somehow realized that it can't go on like that. I wanted something physical, a booklet that I can touch, a CD that has the originally recorded frequencies on it and not some mp3 or computerally converted stuff. And meanwhile I know it's true, the original CDs have a richer sound, a more powerful sound!

And so I began to cease downloading. Well, not completely of course, it's useful especially when you hear from a new artist and want to check out the sound ... but I'm not getting my music from downloading only anymore, no ... actually I'm just downloading more and more seldom.

In the last two months I bought 8 CDs and one tape, all psy. That is very very much for me, before that I had like seven original psy CDs! Seen from that point of view my collection of originals has more than doubled!